X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    We're still #10 on the USCHO poll http://www.uscho.com/rankings/.
    Not really anyting to complain about with this poll. Far too early to give it much more than a quick glance. But it does seem that the top echelon is staying there. i do like 5 ECAC teams being listed this early int he season.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Not really anyting to complain about with this poll. Far too early to give it much more than a quick glance. But it does seem that the top echelon is staying there. i do like 5 ECAC teams being listed this early int he season.
      We're #13 in the USA Today poll, which also has 5 ECAC teams. I'm not surprised we dropped a bit there, the vote differences between the teams we were near were a lot closer. Still very happy to have RPI recognized in the polls, meaningless or not.

Comment

I assume that you posted it the time, but I have forgotten. What did you think of Bradley in that one game?
        I didn't even notice him at all. I think I may have been watching the BRO a little too much.

Comment

Originally posted by RKarger View Post
          We're #13 in the USA Today poll, which also has 5 ECAC teams. I'm not surprised we dropped a bit there, the vote differences between the teams we were near were a lot closer. Still very happy to have RPI recognized in the polls, meaningless or not.
          No doubt-and every week we stay up there(especially in the top 10) is helpful. I just have the impression that some voters really do not follow as closely as they should-and simply vote for what they recognize from the previous weeks + or - a little depending on results that they are aware of. I would think that the psychology of familiarity has some effect.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            After watching five of these kids, you get a better appreciation for what the coaches are looking for when they travel across North America. You can't really predict what these kids will do after just a score line, or sometimes even one game (as in the case of Chris Bradley). You REALLY have to watch these kids play. Even in juniors, there were signs of the BRO gaining confidence with the puck, something I even overheard Monty say. I don't know if it is the next step that creates timidity, not going to say one way or the other. I'm sure, even every once in a while, coaches will subscribe to USHL video feeds to check out these kids if they happen to be playing on a Sunday evening, or screencast and watch later.
            I know from seeing the various scouts at the Delbarton games over the past few years here in NJ-they often send several different ones at different times to see kids against different opponents. I saw so many Yale and Princeton guys at games that after a while we began to look for them to sit with.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              No doubt-and every week we stay up there(especially in the top 10) is helpful. I just have the impression that some voters really do not follow as closely as they should-and simply vote for what they recognize from the previous weeks + or - a little depending on results that they are aware of. I would think that the psychology of familiarity has some effect.
              Perhaps this is why USCHO gets opinion from people across the country. We do know that AspyDad's favorite writer gives some ECAC representation as he has one of the fifty votes. I seem to recall someone asked him that question in an interview in what causes him to cast his ballot the way he does.

Comment

I was looking at our team stats at collegehockeystats and found something that's pretty telling about our season so far, specifically our inability to keep the foot on the gas for all 60:

Code:
                ----------|------------------------|
                Shots     | 1st  2nd  3rd  OT  SOG |
                RPI       |  86   87   53   0  226 |
                Opponents |  52   84   76   1  213 |
                Difference| +34   +3  -23  -1  +13 |
                We pepper the net with shots for the first and second, but pull way back after 40 minutes and give up a ton. The goal differential isn't really there (we're +1 in the 3rd), but when you get out-shot that badly, you're probably getting out-possessed (unfortunately we can't get Corsi/Fenwick for college games), and it's going to bite you eventually.
                RPI Pep Band
                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                  I was looking at our team stats at collegehockeystats and found something that's pretty telling about our season so far, specifically our inability to keep the foot on the gas for all 60:

Code:
                  Shots     | 1st  2nd  3rd  OT  SOG |
                  RPI       |  86   87   53   0  226 |
                  Opponents |  52   84   76   1  213 |
                  Difference| +34   +3  -23  -1  +13 |
                  We pepper the net with shots for the first and second, but pull way back after 40 minutes and give up a ton. The goal differential isn't really there (we're +1 in the 3rd), but when you get out-shot that badly, you're probably getting out-possessed (unfortunately we can't get Corsi/Fenwick for college games), and it's going to bite you eventually.
                  Lug: Just add this thought-we are 5-2-1 and have led going into the third more often than not. It is perfectly natural to sit on a lead a bit-something we really need to learn to do well. The team behind will throw everything at the net they can in the third. I would not yet read into those stats. I am far more concerned about the second period-for some weird reason more years than not it has been the Dreaded Second that I have posted about so often. What would be nice to see, is how we are doing if we break down and look at the first 5 minutes of each period-do we come out ready and rocking or not. I think it has at least appeared we do that in the first period but i am not at all sure about the other two periods.

Comment

We're still #10 on the USCHO poll http://www.uscho.com/rankings/.
                    Playing well in early season OOC games matters now, and if we continue to play well, it will matter in March, too. Laying a good foundation...
                    Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                      Playing well in early season OOC games matters now, and if we continue to play well, it will matter in March, too. Laying a good foundation...
                      Deafening silence on the Kasdorf front. Seems like they are going the rehab route -- to see how it responds. Then again, he could've already had surgery for all we know...
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

As I have mentioned before, I will be at the games this weekend. Is there any place that posters get together between periods or prior to the first period?

Edit:

Today is 5 November 2013. There are 3 days until RPI's next game.
                        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-05-2013, 09:34 AM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

As I have mentioned before, I will be at the games this weekend. Is there any place that posters get together between periods or prior to the first period?

Edit:

Last time I went to one of these get-togethers, it was near the zamboni entrance and they threw me in the snowbank.

Comment

Edit:

I generally don't leave my seat between periods but during the pregame skate you will should find the usual suspects; aspy, troyboy, babo & hubster, realet, grussinko, jcrawford, myself (I may have missed some other posters) & some players parents standing along the glass in front of Sect.18.
                            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              I generally don't leave my seat between periods but during the pregame skate you will should find the usual suspects; aspy, troyboy, babo & hubster, realet, grussinko, jcrawford, myself (I may have missed some other posters) & some players parents standing along the glass in front of Sect.18.
                              Some of us need to visit the John between periods.

By the pregame skate I assume you mean the time when they skate and have some drills before returning to the locker room, not the time immediately before the game starts.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

[QUOTE=Ralph Baer;5804544

By the pregame skate I assume you mean the time when they skate and have some drills before returning to the locker room, not the time immediately before the game starts.[/QUOTE].......Correct.
                                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Working...
                                X