PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

DrDemento
11-09-2013, 08:10 PM
A 3 point hockey weekedn that easily could have been 4 points(and perhaps should have been). We win a completely undisciplined one tonight-a game in the past we would have lost every time. Now let's get it all together and play 2 complete games next weekend to move up in the rankings.

turk181
11-09-2013, 09:47 PM
It was pretty cool that so many fans came by bus from the Wellington Dukes (Team bus too) to see Curtis Leonard.....ok, also Darcy Murphy, but mostly to see Curtis :D

NBinks
11-09-2013, 10:25 PM
I got into a discussion with some of my hockey friends about ducking checks-- a lot of us thought it was a callable penalty by itself (it isn't apparently), but we weren't sure if there was a different penalty it could be called for. Surely ducking a check (as multiple Colgate players did tonight) is an extremely dangerous move for both the check receiver and especially the person throwing the check. The Miller kneeing penalty and game misconduct looked to me like it was the result of a Colgate player dodging a check by Miller. MAYBE two minutes for incidental contact, but definitely not the 5 and a game that was issued, and a lot of us felt that Colgate should have been given the penalty instead for the dangerous play.

BigAl
11-09-2013, 11:13 PM
How much is a individual game ticket? Thinking bout coming up in a month and the website doesn't tell me anything except I have to call Monday

hab
11-09-2013, 11:14 PM
I got into a discussion with some of my hockey friends about ducking checks-- a lot of us thought it was a callable penalty by itself (it isn't apparently), but we weren't sure if there was a different penalty it could be called for. Surely ducking a check (as multiple Colgate players did tonight) is an extremely dangerous move for both the check receiver and especially the person throwing the check. The Miller kneeing penalty and game misconduct looked to me like it was the result of a Colgate player dodging a check by Miller. MAYBE two minutes for incidental contact, but definitely not the 5 and a game that was issued, and a lot of us felt that Colgate should have been given the penalty instead for the dangerous play.

Usually, when you see a game when one team gets 3 five minute penalties for checks you would have to say that they were head-hunting, but this was a strange series of calls. In a way, I don't blame the refs because all 3 calls were potential serious injury situations and in the time that you have to make a split second decision you maybe have to call them for 5 minute majors. But you are right, in two of the cases it looked worse because the Colgate player tried to dodge what otherwise would have been a clean check and exposed himself to a more dangerous hit. In the other case (Curadi hit) a big guy probably should have held back on a hit from behind but it ended up being worse than it would have been otherwise because it was a small guy on the other end. Fifteen minutes of penalties was a bit of a raw deal for RPI but I don't fault the refs for trying to keep the game safe. With the benefit of replay they might have called it differently.

Ralph Baer
11-10-2013, 02:08 AM
How much is a individual game ticket? Thinking bout coming up in a month and the website doesn't tell me $12 except for premium games, Cornell, Union, Brown (Big Red Freakout), and Clarkson (Senior night) which are $15. Prices are $9 for children and seniors, and $11 for children and seniors for premium games. RPI students $5.

Ralph Baer
11-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Ed Weaver's article http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/20131109/rpi-bounces-back-to-hammer-colgate

I have never seen anything like that in my life...no really, Ive never seen anything like that, said RPI coach Seth Appert. I have no idea what just happened the past two hours of my life. All I know is, we got two points and thats whats important.

DrDemento
11-10-2013, 06:14 AM

If I was being kind, I would have called the 3 major penalties borderline(at best). The Curadi hit was not up against the boards and not even close to the boards. The simple fact was a case of newton's Third Law. A really big boy hit a much smaller boy who was turned sideways but at the last second turned his back a bit more. Was it a hit from behind? Yes and probably a 2 minute penalty. But the smaller guy went flying as if shot out of a cannon and slid towards the boards. No injury/ no intent/ that was it. If the officials were THAT sure of the call-Luke would have been tossed along with the 5 minutes.
The other calls-Schroeder's hit looked clean to me and coach SA said as much in his interview. Unfortunately the officiating crews vary-some good some not so good. And this was a case that the not so good had a bad night. Thankfully calling us for 3 questionable majors, 41 minutes of penalties, while at the same time the opposition was whistled for 6 minutes(2 of which came at the very end as perhaps a make up call) did not affect the outcome. As SA indicated-we are were the second least penalized team in the nation-less than 8 minutes per game called in CLOSE hard fought games. Even the night before against Cornell, we were called for more penalties than they were and they are one of the highest penalized teams in the nations. Just a bit difficult to explain.
One of the very sad things is that history has taught us some officials make calls by reputation-and last night may have tarnished our reputation as a clean team that plays hard without taking penalties. We shall see next weekend in what promises to be a very physical two games. Just my 2

AspyDad
11-10-2013, 07:24 AM
If I was being kind, I would have called the 3 major penalties borderline(at best). The Curadi hit was not up against the boards and not even close to the boards. The simple fact was a case of newton's Third Law. A really big boy hit a much smaller boy who was turned sideways but at the last second turned his back a bit more. Was it a hit from behind? Yes and probably a 2 minute penalty. But the smaller guy went flying as if shot out of a cannon and slid towards the boards. No injury/ no intent/ that was it. If the officials were THAT sure of the call-Luke would have been tossed along with the 5 minutes.
The other calls-Schroeder's hit looked clean to me and coach SA said as much in his interview. Unfortunately the officiating crews vary-some good some not so good. And this was a case that the not so good had a bad night. Thankfully calling us for 3 questionable majors, 41 minutes of penalties, while at the same time the opposition was whistled for 6 minutes(2 of which came at the very end as perhaps a make up call) did not affect the outcome. As SA indicated-we are were the second least penalized team in the nation-less than 8 minutes per game called in CLOSE hard fought games. Even the night before against Cornell, we were called for more penalties than they were and they are one of the highest penalized teams in the nations. Just a bit difficult to explain.
One of the very sad things is that history has taught us some officials make calls by reputation-and last night may have tarnished our reputation as a clean team that plays hard without taking penalties. We shall see next weekend in what promises to be a very physical two games. Just my 2

Well put indictment of Paul Stewart. The bias that I have talked about exists.

AspyDad
11-10-2013, 07:39 AM
The following is for Higgsie's old man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSsIbsp3jQ

Harold keep it in the short grass.

FlagDUDE08
11-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Well put indictment of Paul Stewart. The bias that I have talked about exists.

As you probably know, I only call out the refs if I believe they deserved it. Tonight, they deserved that playing of "Forget You". Colgate must have learned from their travel partners how to be a bunch of dirty rotten scum on the ice. At least with the 130-foot goal tonight, what goes around comes around.

FlagDUDE08
11-10-2013, 07:50 AM
With tonight's win, RPI is now 19th in RatingsPI and PWR. A lot of the team's drop [from 11th prior to quality wins bonus] can be attributed to the fact that they haven't beat any quality opponents. The only quality opponent they've had this year thus far is Boston College, and they were subsequently blown out of that game.

vicious
11-10-2013, 09:49 AM
back to the Cornell game for a moment. Surprised no one seems to have picked up on the non-regulation uniforms two Cornell players (De Swardt and one other one) wore for the first two periods at HFH Friday night. No numbers on their sleeves or on front. Should have been a bench minor on the Big Red. Schaefer had them come out with regulation sweaters for the 3rd, but we still had a free PP out there for the taking for two periods.

FlagDUDE08
11-10-2013, 10:08 AM
back to the Cornell game for a moment. Surprised no one seems to have picked up on the non-regulation uniforms two Cornell players (De Swardt and one other one) wore for the first two periods at HFH Friday night. No numbers on their sleeves or on front. Should have been a bench minor on the Big Red. Schaefer had them come out with regulation sweaters for the 3rd, but we still had a free PP out there for the taking for two periods.

I mentioned it on the RPI-TV chat.

sshablak
11-10-2013, 11:05 AM
As you probably know, I only call out the refs if I believe they deserved it. Tonight, they deserved that playing of "Forget You". Colgate must have learned from their travel partners how to be a bunch of dirty rotten scum on the ice. At least with the 130-foot goal tonight, what goes around comes around.

Now that certainly IS "Drivel". WTH are you talking about ???:confused:

fishcore12
11-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Now that certainly IS "Drivel". WTH are you talking about ???:confused:

Don't mind him, he tends to "drivel" often.

sshablak
11-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Sometimes on the Colgate site also !:D

Ralph Baer
11-10-2013, 11:27 AM

There may be some good ref crews, but I am not convinced there are any in the ECAC. As I mentioned in tLodge thread, I would have traded these two for a trained seal. I do think that the linesmen were pretty good on offside calls.

BigAl
11-10-2013, 11:28 AM
$12 except for premium games, Cornell, Union, Brown (Big Red Freakout), and Clarkson (Senior night) which are $15. Prices are $9 for children and seniors, and $11 for children and seniors for premium games. RPI students $5.

Thanks! See you all December 6th

fishcore12
11-10-2013, 11:43 AM

I noticed them as well but just figured they forgot the game jerseys at home or had gotten blood on them or something. Doubtful the refs would have enforced that penalty...but then again maybe they would after last nights performance.