X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
    RPI really did have a great first and even first 6 or 7 mins of the 2nd. After 26 mins and change BC had 3 SOG, which is unheard of. Then BC struck twice and it was downhill for RPI.
    More than downhill, it was an avalanche. It seems that York made some necessary adjustments in the locker room after one period, and RPI didn't after two periods. We had what to me was an almost unheard of advantage in powerplay time (7 penalties to 2), but we couldn't take advantage of it. Hopefully we learned something from it
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

A few random impressions from Sunday's game.

Did we have puck repellant on our sticks? I don't know if I've ever seen a game before in which so many times, the puck hit the blade of one of our player's sticks and popped up into the air. Once BC dumped in the puck from center ice for a line change and it hit Kasdorf's stick and popped up into the air, even. So often the puck was between one of our player's skates while he looked around to find it. Poor puck control even though we generally skated well and checked fairly well throughout.

Great assist by Leonard. What a fine play all around. He disrupts the BC rush with a perfect poke check, the puck goes back to center ice while all the BC players skate forward past it, and the RPI player trailing the play just has to pick it up and finish on the breakway...which he did.

Nice powerplay by BC. Two power plays, two goals in fifteen seconds or so it seemed at least.

Game not nearly as lopsided as the score, they were able to turn it up into an extra gear for a few minutes twice in the game which we didn't match, that led to four quick goals. They earned them.

I thought the 4th BC goal should have been disallowed. From where we were sitting, it sure looked like the BC player skated into the crease and then knocked in the puck from there. Obviously the referees didn't see it that way.

I wonder if our players were a bit tired from the day before? it seemed we were mentally sluggish much of the day, just a little bit slow, a little bit off. Plenty of grist for the mill for the coaching staff. Best to get this kind of game out of the system early in the season.

Finally, RPI was very well represented among the fans. I'd guesstimate about 1/4 of the house was wearing RPI gear of some kind. Behind us there even was a guy wearing a BC shirt and an RPI hat!

It was a fun day overall despite the score. The drive to the rink was surprisingly easy, and logistics in and out were well done.

Coming back this morning, what a glorious day. Beautiful fall colors along the route, sunny and pleasant. Got to have coffee with the older child and breakfast along the way with the younger too.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

The drive to the rink was surprisingly easy, and logistics in and out were well done.
        I'm glad

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          More than downhill, it was an avalanche. It seems that York made some necessary adjustments in the locker room after one period, and RPI didn't after two periods. We had what to me was an almost unheard of advantage in powerplay time (7 penalties to 2), but we couldn't take advantage of it. Hopefully we learned something from it

That large advantage in power plays may not have been such an advantage. Sure we gave up 2 very quick PP goals-and I am guessing SA just did not want us to be short handed any further. But it may have also affected our aggressive nature which normally works so well for us. BC is a talented team-almost every year-this year is no exception. But you still have to hit them, bang them, impede them, and make them pay when they come up ice on the rush and set up. Obviously i did not see the game-would love to hear from someone who did as to whether we were still physical after the first period. Now let's hope they put this one where it belongs-away-and we can focus on next weekend and getting back on track.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

For those interested-Princeton put the tickets on sale today for the RPI game on 1-10-14. Although probably not a sellout, and there will be tickets available for a long time. The best seats do go fast. $10 per ticket and a $1 handling charge.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Freshfish, my understanding of the rule is once the puck is in the crease, you can go into the crease after it. I think that's what the refs saw on replay.

Comment

Does anyone on the tailgate committee (aka babo) know if we will have enough room for the 6 burner grill? I just have to double check to make sure its still available for Saturday. If it isn't, I can get at least a portable grill.
                Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  I am very confused about this game. We held them down in shots on goal, we had a distinct advantage in power plays, and totally out played them for the first 25 minutes of the game.
                  It seems to me that we gave up two quick goals in the second period and a quick goal at the beginning of the third. We let down, or lost focus or whatever you want to call it for about three minutes and we got blown out.
                  I don't think that we have that much to correct going into next week, but the final score just looks terrible.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    I am very confused about this game. We held them down in shots on goal, we had a distinct advantage in power plays, and totally out played them for the first 25 minutes of the game.
                    It seems to me that we gave up two quick goals in the second period and a quick goal at the beginning of the third. We let down, or lost focus or whatever you want to call it for about three minutes and we got blown out.
                    I don't think that we have that much to correct going into next week, but the final score just looks terrible.
                    We have quite a bit to correct. Penalty kill. Putrid power play, which I believe was 1 for 11 on the weekend. Focus on D.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                      One last positive on the game today:

Red unis with RPI across the front look great. And no more half socks! I think the home's would have looked better this way.
                      Great to hear Joe. I've long been a fan of the road jerseys -- I like the additional red! Great to hear the RPI is loud and proud on the front-- as it should be.
                      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 10-14-2013, 06:58 PM.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                        Does anyone on the tailgate committee (aka babo) know if we will have enough room for the 6 burner grill? I just have to double check to make sure its still available for Saturday. If it isn't, I can get at least a portable grill.
                        FF - i would say YES...we'll make room !! Last I heard we were waiting on a decision on where we can set up for the tailgate - B lot or up the hill.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          We have quite a bit to correct. Penalty kill. Putrid power play, which I believe was 1 for 11 on the weekend. Focus on D.
                          I would suggest burying some even strength pucks to your whine list. Shots were something like 18-6 early in the 2nd and we had one goal to show for it . Lest we not forget, BC is a stacked squad from top to bottom. Credit to them weathering the storm early and putting us on our heels in third.

I didn't see the game so I can't comment on the PP. We sure as heck have enough skill on this team to make it work.

As many have said -- the beauty of the season is that there's no time for the lads to dwell ...right back at it Friday at BU. GO RED!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            FF - i would say YES...we'll make room !! Last I heard we were waiting on a decision on where we can set up for the tailgate - B lot or up the hill.
                            Ok, will double check tomorrow about the grill. Will check back here during the week for final word on where we will be at.
                            Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Alan York was nominated to the 2004-13 AJHL All-Decade Team http://ajhl.ca/media-centre/news-arc...ml?newsID=3585. You have to vote for 10 players, and I haven't even heard of that many of them.

Thanks to the Union thread for the link.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The power play had some instances on Sunday where they held the zone for quite a while, but most of the 14 minutes on the man advantage was spent in our own zone. That certainly needs to be fixed before Friday.

BC's 2nd goal (the Johnny Gaudreau PP goal) was not going to be stopped. He was furious that he didn't have a penalty shot (and his case had quite a bit of merit), so he was going to score on that power play, even if he had to play all two minutes of it. And, their first power play goal was just some beautiful stick work by Johnny. I think it was Leonard that he burned on the play, but I can't remember specifically. The penalty kill was not weak, they just ran into a freight train of skill.

I hope to be able to listen in on Friday and Saturday. Have a great tailgate. Hopefully, I'll be able to make a trip out to Lake Placid in March.
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X