PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

hab
10-05-2013, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't think that Southern Methodist had a lot Canadians. :D

I'm sure that a few Cajuns have drifted westward from Louisiana.

Ralph Baer
10-05-2013, 12:44 AM
<marquee>In honor of Seth Appert, John Burke, and their staffs, today is 5 October 2013.
There are 0 days until RPI's next game.</marquee>

This is based upon 5 October 2013 for the start of next season.

;)

FreddyFoyle
10-05-2013, 07:47 AM
So I just took a glance at SMU's roster --loaded with former OHL/WHL major kids....all of them 23-24-25 years old. This will be their 4th game of the season. I have no idea what to expect from them, but I suspect they can play a little. Hope our boys have their game faces on !! GO RED

The Huskies are a veteran team. Last year they lost the CIS University Cup championship game to the University of New Brunswick 2-0, and the last UNB goal was as empty-netter. However they are notoriously slow starters - most years they have a poor to average preseason, don't look great in their first couple of games, their coach calls them out in the media, they start working and pull their heads out of their posteriors, and by Christmas they're battling for first or second place in the AUS conference.

If they follow their normal script, they may not look very impressive today. Hopefully not.

When they're clicking, they like to play "below the other team's goal line", to quote SMU head coach Trevor Stienberg. They forecheck like crazy. They usually get stellar goaltending. Stienberg is a very good situational coach, and can make in-game adjustments that can frustrate puck-possession teams like UNB.

One intangible is that one of SMU's assistant coaches, Tom Lee, is back in cancer treatment this week after it being in remission for several years. Radiation, chemo, bone marrow transplant - the whole deal.

Btw, in Canada SMU is pronounced to rhyme with "stew", never S-M-U. Also, if you're being pedantic, it is always written "Saint Mary's" and never "St. Mary's".

fishcore12
10-05-2013, 08:56 AM
The Huskies are a veteran team. Last year they lost the CIS University Cup championship game to the University of New Brunswick 2-0, and the last UNB goal was as empty-netter. However they are notoriously slow starters - most years they have a poor to average preseason, don't look great in their first couple of games, their coach calls them out in the media, they start working and pull their heads out of their posteriors, and by Christmas they're battling for first or second place in the AUS conference.

If they follow their normal script, they may not look very impressive today. Hopefully not.

When they're clicking, they like to play "below the other team's goal line", to quote SMU head coach Trevor Stienberg. They forecheck like crazy. They usually get stellar goaltending. Stienberg is a very good situational coach, and can make in-game adjustments that can frustrate puck-possession teams like UNB.

One intangible is that one of SMU's assistant coaches, Tom Lee, is back in cancer treatment this week after it being in remission for several years. Radiation, chemo, bone marrow transplant - the whole deal.

Btw, in Canada SMU is pronounced to rhyme with "stew", never S-M-U. Also, if you're being pedantic, it is always written "Saint Mary's" and never "St. Mary's".

Thanks for the info. I look forward to a good test for both teams tonight.

Jasma
10-05-2013, 09:02 AM
The Coast Guard Academy has a home game while USMMA would have been traveling, which I assume affects the decisions as well.
Actually it is because of the agency budgets (transportation for umma) and whether or not their employees are considered essential. The other academies, including CG are open. UMMA is closed and not conducting classes or anything else. Coaches are not allowed on campus.

Ralph Baer
10-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Btw, in Canada SMU is pronounced to rhyme with "stew", never S-M-U. Also, if you're being pedantic, it is always written "Saint Mary's" and never "St. Mary's". Being pedantic, I would have written the game thread differently had I known, but I am not going to delete it and start anew. :p

Ralph Baer
10-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Ed Weaver's article http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2013/10/05/sports/doc524f8a94eae13748264216.txt?viewmode=fullstory. Apparently all three goalies will see action.

Wicked Slappaahs
10-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Thanks as always for the insight FF. Sorry to hear of Coach Lee's health challenges ... all the best to him and his fight.

Wicked Slappaahs
10-05-2013, 04:32 PM
It's Pepe's. No contest. Agreed ! The crust is nothing short of a work of art...

DrDemento
10-05-2013, 08:22 PM
OK-we win our exhibition game. A little discussion-how did everyone feel the freshmen played? What should be the defensive pairings? Who looked like they need a bit more time to get ready and who looked like they were really ready to start the real season?

rsfs04
10-05-2013, 09:01 PM
OK-we win our exhibition game. A little discussion-how did everyone feel the freshmen played? What should be the defensive pairings? Who looked like they need a bit more time to get ready and who looked like they were really ready to start the real season?

My three biggest takeaways:

1) There are are lot of forwards on this team who could "break-out" and be the clear cut top guy, it looked to me tonight like it might be Zalewski. From the get go, getting the penalty shot, scoring the penalty, and everything after, he looked like the best player on the ice. Looks like he might have taken his game to the next level.

2) It was great to have Schroeder back out there. Constant back checking and pure hustle, he has offensive talent seen by his assist tonight and 12 points in his freshman season. I'll find it very interesting to where Seth puts him in the lineup, he could fit well on any line in my opinion.

3) Reno looked like he might need some time to adjust. He started and tripped on his first shift, clear sign of some jitters. Much like Bradley last year, might need a month or two to acclimate to college, especially because he's coming from high school hockey. Of the forwards, Wood was the one who made an impression for me. Being in the dirty areas, and not afraid to use his body to get where he wanted to be. Got into a tussle at the end, probably annoyed the other team one too many times during the game. Would love to see him on the fourth line with Miller and Rogic/Fulton during the year. I didn't really notice DeVito or Bourbonnais during the game.

And of course, this is just and exhibition game and should be taken with a grain of salt. Should be good to get some real games next weekend.

turk181
10-05-2013, 09:34 PM
goals are up.... http://www.rpiathletics.com/

FlagDUDE08
10-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Tinordi filled Lee's former role admirably tonight in all situations. I would love to see Wood grab Tinordi's slot on the energy line. I was a lot more comfortable with the 4-1 PP tonight and McGowan. Not so hot about Hampton taking Bradley's spot on the second PP unit, but he'll probably earn that back in practice, as the young'ins needed a chance to play. I wasn't too hot on Bourbonnais' play in juniors (all two periods I saw) and really didn't see much different out there tonight. I have a feeling he'll be like a Travis Fulton from last year, learning the ropes and eventually earning himself one of the 18 slots on game day (given Appert has been known to go XF or XD once in a while). DeVito the same bruiser type; he'll be tough competition for a slot on the energy line. Don't know if he'll earn it right away (as Coach said, in the first month or two, the frosh are buying into the process), but it wouldn't surprise me. Bubela and Zalewski still have that great chemistry out there.

On D, wow does Curadi have some confidence with the puck now. Also great work by who we've seen already. I'll echo what was previously said about Reno.

I like what I see. Hopefully Higgs heals up and is good to go.

Ralph Baer
10-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Today is 6 October 2013. There are -1 days until RPI's next game.

;)

engineerhockeyfan
10-06-2013, 07:58 AM
My three biggest takeaways:

1) There are are lot of forwards on this team who could "break-out" and be the clear cut top guy, it looked to me tonight like it might be Zalewski. From the get go, getting the penalty shot, scoring the penalty, and everything after, he looked like the best player on the ice. Looks like he might have taken his game to the next level.

2) It was great to have Schroeder back out there. Constant back checking and pure hustle, he has offensive talent seen by his assist tonight and 12 points in his freshman season. I'll find it very interesting to where Seth puts him in the lineup, he could fit well on any line in my opinion.

3) Reno looked like he might need some time to adjust. He started and tripped on his first shift, clear sign of some jitters. Much like Bradley last year, might need a month or two to acclimate to college, especially because he's coming from high school hockey. Of the forwards, Wood was the one who made an impression for me. Being in the dirty areas, and not afraid to use his body to get where he wanted to be. Got into a tussle at the end, probably annoyed the other team one too many times during the game. Would love to see him on the fourth line with Miller and Rogic/Fulton during the year. I didn't really notice DeVito or Bourbonnais during the game.

And of course, this is just and exhibition game and should be taken with a grain of salt. Should be good to get some real games next weekend.

I agree with all of that. but my take away from this game was Haggerty's power play goal. It was like watching Polacek or Pirri converting the exact same play. The shot was a laser. I am sure we will see a lot more of that this season. The play in general on the power play looked very good.
And the overall team speed was impressive.

FreshFish
10-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Today is 6 October 2013. There are -1 days until RPI's next game.

;)

or you could say that there are six days until the October 12 regular season opener...:)

AspyDad
10-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Mark Miller is going to be a great college hockey player. He is fearless. Mike Z is everything we'd thought he'd be. Kazzie was well... Kazzie. Great luxury to have Scott backing him up.

AspyDad
10-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Our great equipment manager did on awesome job on the new design on the sweaters. Notice how quick he picks a stick off the rack after one of our guys breaks one and gets it to him. Big man can move quick when he wants. Great job on Unis D-Man!!!! I love em!!!!

NBinks
10-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Tinordi filled Lee's former role admirably tonight in all situations. I would love to see Wood grab Tinordi's slot on the energy line. I was a lot more comfortable with the 4-1 PP tonight and McGowan. Not so hot about Hampton taking Bradley's spot on the second PP unit, but he'll probably earn that back in practice, as the young'ins needed a chance to play. I wasn't too hot on Bourbonnais' play in juniors (all two periods I saw) and really didn't see much different out there tonight. I have a feeling he'll be like a Travis Fulton from last year, learning the ropes and eventually earning himself one of the 18 slots on game day (given Appert has been known to go XF or XD once in a while). DeVito the same bruiser type; he'll be tough competition for a slot on the energy line. Don't know if he'll earn it right away (as Coach said, in the first month or two, the frosh are buying into the process), but it wouldn't surprise me. Bubela and Zalewski still have that great chemistry out there.

On D, wow does Curadi have some confidence with the puck now. Also great work by who we've seen already. I'll echo what was previously said about Reno.

I like what I see. Hopefully Higgs heals up and is good to go.

I might be wrong, but isn't Wood a little small for the checking/energy line? He seemed to me to be more of a finesse player-- I was most impressed with his laser one-timers (with no stopping of the puck!) from right outside the slot.
Also, I'm back in section 16 for another season and I hope to lurk a bit less and post a bit more :)

Ralph Baer
10-06-2013, 10:50 AM
TU article about Kasdorf and his marriage http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Iorizzo-RPI-goaltender-enjoys-a-honeymoon-period-4872867.php.