This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Have not seen them practice this year, my guess is the PP unit consists of JL, Neal, Mike Z., Haggs and Curtis. Might see Guy out there w/ that big heavy shot. Thoughts on PK??? I believe Johnny Rocket will be a mainstay of the unit, speed kills.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      In honor of Zach Schroeder and Delaney Middlebrook, today is 28 September 2013. There are 7 days (1 week) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2013 for the start of next season.
      Will you be counting down the hours until game time next Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
        Have not seen them practice this year, my guess is the PP unit consists of JL, Neal, Mike Z., Haggs and Curtis. Might see Guy out there w/ that big heavy shot. Thoughts on PK??? I believe Johnny Rocket will be a mainstay of the unit, speed kills.
        Buebla will also get significant time on pp. If SA...I mean OGC likes the depth, maybe he will run 2 PP units like he did last year (2nd half).
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Buebla will also get significant time on pp. If SA...I mean OGC likes the depth, maybe he will run 2 PP units like he did last year (2nd half).
          Allot of choices for the pp unit but would agree that Buebla will see his fair share of time on the #1 unit. PP is about taking advantage of your skilled guys and Buebla might be the top pure skill guy of the forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
            Will you be counting down the hours until game time next Saturday?
            No.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Why would you split up Zalewski and Bubela? Obviously anything can happen with chemistry, but those two were like spaghetti and meatballs.

Comment

In honor of Phil Hampton and Madison Marzario, today is 29 September 2013. There are 6 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2013 for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Why would you split up Zalewski and Bubela? Obviously anything can happen with chemistry, but those two were like spaghetti and meatballs.
                  Maybe I wouldn't my long haired friend. I don't mind having the PP loaded w/ forwards because of their offensive prowess. I know the good Dr. (whom I have the greatest respect for his hockey, alcohol and knowledge of the female species) will likely disagree with me but when you watch BC they load up with forwards on PP. I think we can do this especially with Kazzie back there. Also, if you think about it when the PP is on, usually the opposing teams least offensive minded threats are working their PK.

Comment

Maybe I wouldn't my long haired friend. I don't mind having the PP loaded w/ forwards because of their offensive prowess. I know the good Dr. (whom I have the greatest respect for his hockey, alcohol and knowledge of the female species) will likely disagree with me but when you watch BC they load up with forwards on PP. I think we can do this especially with Kazzie back there. Also, if you think about it when the PP is on, usually the opposing teams least offensive minded threats are working their PK.
                    One thing we've certainly found in the past is that we're not all that good with a 5-0 or even 4-1 on the PP. In the second half of last year, we would do a 3-2 and flip Bailen (with Dolan or Bokenfohr on the line with a forward, I like Laliberté), or it would be Leonard and Bradley on the blue with Bubela, Zalewski, and I think Lee (obviously that last body will be changing). What about Dolan and maybe someone like Reno with NHL? And who knows, maybe with Z/B's power, we'll even see someone like Bourbonnais make a PP squad.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      (with Dolan or Bokenfohr on the line with a forward, I like Laliberté), or it would be Leonard and Bradley on the blue with Bubela, Zalewski, and I think Lee (obviously that last body will be changing). What about Dolan and maybe someone like Reno with NHL? And who knows, maybe with Z/B's power, we'll even see someone like Bourbonnais make a PP squad.
                      Bokenfohr did not play on PP last year. He only played 5 games all year. http://www.rpiathletics.com/roster.a...40&path=hockey

Comment

Bokenfohr did not play on PP last year. He only played 5 games all year. http://www.rpiathletics.com/roster.a...40&path=hockey
                        But he is great with a putter.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

FWIW, Luke Curadi is doing color on the women's game.

Edit: only the first two periods
                          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 09-29-2013, 03:45 PM.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I really think you have to be flexible in the approach to the power play. No hard and fast rules. You have to adapt to the team you are playing against. Especially at the college level where the talent levels vary so much-some teams can defend with so many different excellent players while other teams do not have that depth and have fewer. It is decidedly different at the upper levels like the NHL where everyone is just so good. Success on the power play at the college level, however, is critical for a team to win most of the games. As most know I am a firm believer in having some size up front(of course you would want as much skill on the ice but all things being equal-I like a skillful big boy in front of the net as opposed to a smaller player). You want to disrupt a team's planned defense as much as possible-trying to make 5 on 4 into 2 on 1 in front of the net. You want to obstruct a goalie's view of the ice and the puck. All of this is just obvious. Most important though, you have to spend the time to practice all odd man situations so often it becomes automatic. Having a good quarterback(or two) on the ice at the points certainly doesn't hurt but ther also has to be some semblance of defensive ability with some speed in retreat, to get back and prevent odd man rushes in the event of a bad rebound or intercepted pass.

Aspy, as you mentioned-I have a much better command of the other items listed in your post.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

In the game on the Princeton/Quinnipiac away weekend he played in place of Bo Dolan, he was on the PP unit.

Comment

PtC is back for a third fourth season
                                Last edited by burgie12; 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM.
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X