Changes to Pairwise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to Pairwise

CHN is reporting that the NCAA Cabinet approved a change to the selection process for the tournament. They will be considereding a "quality wins bonus" and "weighting for home and away games."

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ce_will_be.php

Thoughts?
    Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
    College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
    Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
    Men's Frozen Four 2010
    Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
    Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Re: Changes to Pairwise

Yeah, incredibly ill advised without knowing the impacts of such things.

Do they even know the impact of their fudge factors. Home ice advantage does exist but it's not extreme. If you want to penalize teams for too many home games do it via a cap, not via pairwise.

Edit: we knew this was coming, the real question was how soon. I wanted to evaluate possibilities but I couldn't come up with a notion of how to compare to simulated lists of results... Could I have done something, likely, but I wanted the correct something.
    Last edited by Patman; 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

The more factors you introduce, the more subjective the process becomes.

I like the idea of forcing the major programs to go on the road now and again, but the "cold hard math" side of the PWR is one of the reasons I like it so much as a selection criterion.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        The more factors you introduce, the more subjective the process becomes.

I like the idea of forcing the major programs to go on the road now and again, but the "cold hard math" side of the PWR is one of the reasons I like it so much as a selection criterion.
        I think they can add as many factors as they like. As long as they are objective, it's still "cold hard math". Google's algorithm is just math, but it's incredible complexity is why it works so well.

I say, go ahead and add complexity, just make sure it's transparent. Selection Sunday should be just a formality.
        scsuhockey.com
        CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by MaineHockeyMom
          maybe they are trying to nudge programs like Michigan into playing some away games and penalizing them for their refusing to play away games that they absolutely do not need to play?

and home ice CAN matter. not so much at Lowell, but at Wisconsin or the Alfond back in the 90s
          Rare circumstances not deserving of a one size fits all method

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
            I think they can add as many factors as they like. As long as they are objective, it's still "cold hard math". Google's algorithm is just math, but it's incredible complexity is why it works so well.

I say, go ahead and add complexity, just make sure it's transparent. Selection Sunday should be just a formality.
            It's not objective. It's just formulaic...

I am starting to wonder if this was a compromise of the form "we will give you this if you give us that". The schools that may advantage from a home favoring system would be disadvantaged with a quality wins construction and vice versa. Quality wins would incentivize power conferences. Quality non-conf would only incentivize the top teams to play each other.

In any system, if the "model" is not true then it can be gamed. Current pairwise is gameable but its not so certain how, especially with so many conference tilts kind of averaging things out for a league. If you believe krach then its more important for PWR to pick up wins against lesser competition as krach favors team w strong SOS and PWR doesn't as much.

Granted, the strength of said gaming was never clear. Adding factors usually creates more undesirable incentives than it solves due to the additional complexity and de-weighting factors that were more useful to capture things.

The key question is whether or not the new system captures team ability more than the old knowing people will take advantage of the system.

I am pessimistic here. I see gameable features here being crafted by people who aren't sure what they are doing.

The fact that i would have some difficulty with the idea of calibrating these factors appropriately should give pause.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

I think this is more of a compromise in the form of (a) home/away disparities are unfair from a competitive standpoint but that (b) home/away disparities are desirable financially, so they're not going away. The NCAA realizes all too well that both teams benefit financially from a game being at, for example, Yost rather than at a 1200 seat stadium in North Bumfugg.

Comment

I have always known there is a East Bumfugg, but had no idea there was a North Bumfugg. Learn something new every day.
                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Less 2 for 1 agreements that schools do the better it is for college hockey. 2 for 1's suck.

Don't know how I feel about no longer having the TUC line.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                    As long as they are objective, it's still "cold hard math".
                    But how do you make it objective? Is a win at Yost worth more or less than a win at Mariucci? If more, how much more? If less, how much less? If it's worth more than a win at Sacred Heart (which I think we would all agree that it is), how much more (which is where we'd all disagree)? Wins and SOS were already figured in. Now we're adding some kind of a "degree of difficulty" that doesn't make the Pairwise a whole lot different than the basketball "smoke-filled room," or the gymnastics/figure skating "Hey, give her a good score. She's the favorite" model.

Comment

So with a frozen four last year of Quinnipiac, St. Cloud State, Mass.-Lowell and Yale.....what are they trying to fix? Wait for the complaining to go back to the old formula if four past champs are in the frozen four this season.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                        But how do you make it objective? Is a win at Yost worth more or less than a win at Mariucci? ....
                        I don't see anything that proposes that. Just that a win on the road is worth more than a win at home.

Originally posted by Biddco View Post

Don't know how I feel about no longer having the TUC line.
                        I never understood why it needs to be a cliff. Why not a slope?

Comment

Let's just put the four most lucrative programs in the Frozen Four every year. That will make the sponsors happy, ESPN happy, the arena happy and the NCAA happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            Let's just put the four most lucrative programs in the Frozen Four every year. That will make the sponsors happy, ESPN happy, the arena happy and the NCAA happy.

I'll take all the titles for my team, thankyouverymuch. No argument from me.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              I'll take all the titles for my team, thankyouverymuch. No argument from me.
                              It'll be Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota every year. The 4th team will either be Michigan, New Hampshire, Maine or a private school that can show revenue above $2.75M/year

Comment

Working...
                              X