• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Changes to Pairwise

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    According to CHN
    Weight a win @ home or a loss on the road by 0.8
    Weight a win on the road or a home loss by 1.2
    Was it the same at home and on the road before? This gives a flat 0.2 points to an away team...assuming there is no home rink advantage. If you factor that it...its perhaps 0.1 pts. If you want to play at home, you just better be better on your home rink or youre giving away points.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

According to CHN

Also a sliding bonus for beating a top 20 (on Selection Sundae??) RPI team from 5.0 to 0.25.

CHN crunching numbers to how it pans out. Somewhere, wherever Jon Whelan is, the CPU usage just tripled.
      Can't access his site If the site comes back, we should be able to apply these changes to previous seasons back to 2003.

Comment

According to CHN

Also a sliding bonus for beating a top 20 (on Selection Sundae??) RPI team from 5.0 to 0.25.

CHN crunching numbers to how it pans out. Somewhere, wherever Jon Whelan is, the CPU usage just tripled.
        Would the weighting be 1.0 for neutral site?

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Well that just seems stupid. You're going to apply RPI rankings to games played early in the season (when RPI is still fluctuating a lot)? Or are you going to apply season ending RPI, which doesn't necessarily describe how good the team was at the time that you played them?
          I would be very surprised if it isn't the end-of-season RPI.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

CHN update:

For example, among teams in the new Big Ten, Wisconsin has 14 non-league games, 10 home and four away; Ohio State has 14 non-league games, 11 home and three away; and Minnesota has 16 non-league games, 12 at home (including a tournament at the Xcel Center) and four away.

In the new plan, the RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) will be weighted so that road wins and home losses count by a factor of 1.2. Also, home wins and road losses will count by a factor of 0.8. In other words, road wins and home losses will be a significantly bigger factor in affecting your RPI, which is, generally speaking, the ranking system used by the NCAA to adjust your winning percentage by a strength of schedule.

In addition, your RPI will get a "bonus" for wins against teams ranked in the Top 20 of RPI, based on a sliding scale. If you defeat the No. 1 team, you get an RPI bonus of 5.0 percentage points, sliding down to a 0.25 bonus for defeating the 20th team.

The Quality Win Bonus (QWB) will be multiplied by a factor consistent with the home-road weighting for that game. So, a win on the road against the No. 1 team, for example, would give you a bonus of 6.0 (5.0 x 1.2), whereas a win against the No. 1 team at home, would give you a bonus of 4.0 (5.0 x 0.8).

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              CHN update:
              Yeah, the quality win aspect seems the most bogus to me. Aside from the fact that the #1 team can't beat itself, it seems to me the power conferences will rake in on that factor alone. I assume its going to be cumulative over all of your opponents and not just a singular opponent. Maybe this is making up for taking out TUC but I don't see this as a good replacement.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                I would be very surprised if it isn't the end-of-season RPI.
                According to CHN, it is.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Would the weighting be 1.0 for neutral site?
                According to CHN, it is.

A few years ago, D-III tried a concept of a 15 point SoS metric based on whether you beat a team with a great WP on the road (15), home (14), down to losing to a poor team on the road (2) or at home (1). I think it lasted all of 2 seasons before they came up with the current strategy (which nobody knows how it is applied).
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  Yeah, the quality win aspect seems the most bogus to me.
                  No need to elaborate. It is bogus. RPI already takes the quality of opponent into account, and the PWR uses record against TUC to give a boost for quality wins. What are we gaining with this, I'll say it, awfully BCS-ish kind of weighting factor?
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    No need to elaborate. It is bogus. RPI already takes the quality of opponent into account, and the PWR uses record against TUC to give a boost for quality wins. What are we gaining with this, I'll say it, awfully BCS-ish kind of weighting factor?
                    We all knew if the BiG decided to start their own conference they were going to change the rules.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                      I'd love if they made the North Star College Cup a home series for the Gophers! They could justify the decision because the Gophers don't rotate out of the tournament every fifth year.

*prepares self for Gopher comment onslaught*
                      Meh. Life isn't fair.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        When was the objective to be like College football and basketball?
                        Two years ago when the Big Ten decided to form their own conference.

Comment

So it really looks like these weights are going to exist throughout the season, which means teams also get punished for being at home in the early rounds of their conference playoffs. A team that wins in three games at home ends up with an effective record of 1.6-1.2 instead of 2-1 because they were the better team in the regular season. I'm all in favor of getting the giants out west to travel more than twice a season, but I think it should really only count for OOC play.
                          RPI Pep Band
                          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

If this was really added to impact scheduling, why not wait 1-2 seasons to allow to adjust future scheduling? Not much teams can do about it this season.

Comment

The USCHO piece

Those actions reflect what the committee heard from coaches at their annual meeting in Florida in April, said incoming chair Jim Knowlton, the athletic director at Rensselaer.

“Their voice was pretty loud on the fact that they would like to see the committee look at both the home-and-away piece and then also the teams under consideration piece,” said Knowlton, who took over as committee chair at the start of September. “Both of those had the potential to have an impact on the selection criteria, and so that’s what the committee since Naples in April has looked at. What you saw come out of the NCAA was what the committee thought made the most sense for college hockey.”

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                                So it really looks like these weights are going to exist throughout the season, which means teams also get punished for being at home in the early rounds of their conference playoffs. A team that wins in three games at home ends up with an effective record of 1.6-1.2 instead of 2-1 because they were the better team in the regular season. I'm all in favor of getting the giants out west to travel more than twice a season, but I think it should really only count for OOC play.
                                An excellent point.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X