PDA

View Full Version : PC - A new start and a new venue

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

FriarsEagles7
10-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Hey everyone! I'm headed up to Providence with a handful of other Miami fans for the match-up this weekend and wanted to see if you have suggestions for places to eat/drink near the arena/campus and things to do Friday night (especially with the early game time) and during the day on Saturday. We're looking forward to what should be two great hockey games!

The Abbey is always a good place to grab a burger and beers before the game. Also about half a mile from the rink which is nice

Jon
10-21-2013, 06:05 PM
As I look forward to next week, I am disappointed that a game against one of the top teams in the country starts at 5:20 so people can go to basketball practice. Really?
You just knew that after renovating the Coffin and pouring some money into hockey, they would turn around and do something like this...

I like the basketball team too, but it's a freaking PRACTICE.

PcFriars13
10-21-2013, 09:23 PM
You just knew that after renovating the Coffin and pouring some money into hockey, they would turn around and do something like this...

I like the basketball team too, but it's a freaking PRACTICE.

It's not even practice. It's a dunk contest, an intro to both the men's and women's teams, and dance performances by the dance team, dance company, irish dance club, dance club, cheerleaders, BMSA, and Board of Programmers. -end-

SkatingFriar
10-22-2013, 01:24 AM
It's not even practice. It's a dunk contest, an intro to both the men's and women's teams, and dance performances by the dance team, dance company, irish dance club, dance club, cheerleaders, BMSA, and Board of Programmers. -end-

To be fair, it's also the favorite day of a lot of the students. And...though hockey has found faster success, don't forget that basketball is what pays the bills. Fox Sports 1 will be on campus filming Late Night Madness and they're the one that cut us a check for $6 million every year...

But I agree, I'm pretty upset I have to miss the game, I just kind of understand why.

The Zlax45
10-22-2013, 07:45 AM
They moved next Saturday's game against BU to 8pm because of hoops exhibition game!

PC91
10-22-2013, 10:31 AM
They moved next Saturday's game against BU to 8pm because of hoops exhibition game!

They knew about schedule conflicts for weeks as both schedules were finalized long before the start of the Fall season. PC Athletics can't get out of their own way. High School programs don't have the same scheduling issues that seem to plague PC on a consistent basis. At PC hoops is king despite zero success in decades. I'm not psyched at all about PC Athletics moving the start time of the hockey game against the third ranked team in the country to accommodate the hoops program especially when season ticket holders and paying customers are being inconvenienced or deterred from going to the hockey game due to this change to accommodate students who don't show up to hockey for the most part anyway!
Students get free admission to hockey and the student section has been dead every night that PC has both hoop and hockey scheduled on the same day let alone the same time. The game time should have been left alone as now the hockey attendance will be affected by starting the game earlier. Most ticket holders will be late getting there Friday and the early start time will keep the casual fans from buying tickets to see PC play a top flight program in Miami.

PC91
10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
I also feel that the PC band can stop pretending that they are a part of the PC hockey experience. The band is there one night and gone the next regardless of whether a hoop game is scheduled or not. I understand that basketball rules PC athletics and always has and that the band needs to be at the Dunk for those games but they need to be consistently playing the hockey games as well. Why have them continue to half-*** it? It was pathetic (although I liked it better cause the band is terrible and plays the same tired songs in the same tired order for both teams) that the band played the season opener then missed the next night. There was nothing that kept them from playing both nights. It looks goofy. No other serious program has problems like this.

BU2K
10-22-2013, 10:51 AM

That would have been great if it was a Friday game. :)

The Zlax45
10-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Back to Friday's game...What stopped PC from having the hoops scrimmage at 6pm and the Hockey game start at 8:30pm? I think many more of the season ticket holders would rather have a LATER game on a Friday then an early start on a workday!

PC91
10-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Back to Friday's game...What stopped PC from having the hoops scrimmage at 6pm and the Hockey game start at 8:30pm? I think many more of the season ticket holders would rather have a LATER game on a Friday then an early start on a workday!

Dumb idea. Would never work because it makes too much sense.

squidjigger
10-22-2013, 01:01 PM
C'mon guys, midnight madness is going to have NICK FREAKIN' CANNON!! They might as well just cancel Friday's hockey game.

In all seriousness, usually stuff like this gets to me but I have a half day to burn and this will give me a reason to take off. I also saw they were going to have a tailgate with a beer garden which I assume will be open to the public. Not sure anyone posted the link yet, http://www.friars.com/LNM.html#00 . Call me selfish but I'm going to have a good day. Looks like they are going to double the student section for the Friday game, which is laughable. If I remember correctly, kids like to get a little drunk before madness and the hockey game is just going to get in the way of that. They would of been better keeping it at 7:00 and potentially selling it out even without the students. But hopefully the athletic department proves us wrong and 1,000 students will fill the stands on Friday...

PcFriars13
10-22-2013, 03:19 PM

because everyone and their mother (myself included) goes out after madness ends.

I'm just so upset with how PC handles things like this. My freshman and sophomore year, LNM was when hockey was on an away trip. Junior and senior year, it was the same day as opening night. Last year, they promised students who had a teeshirt from the hockey game guaranteed admission to LNM. (and the year before that, a wrist band system was "employed.") Both times, athletics dropped the ball and said that there was no guarantee entry for attending the hockey game, hence the mass exodus of students from the game in the third period in order to get into LNM. I barely got in to Madness last year because I stayed for the entire hockey game.

Another obvious-but-not solution is to host LNM in a place that holds more than 1,854 people.

The Freds
10-24-2013, 02:09 AM
I also saw they were going to have a tailgate with a beer garden which I assume will be open to the public. Not sure anyone posted the link yet, http://www.friars.com/LNM.html#00 . Call me selfish but I'm going to have a good day...

Well some things have changed at PC. About 12 years ago a bunch of us showed up early for a little pregame tailgate. Just as we got the grill lit one of PC's finest showed up to tell us to cease and desist. We couldn't have a tailgate party because it would be a bad example for the students. Given that there were about eight of us and half the group was under 5 years old I guess we really would have been the talk of Elmhurst since it is such a quiet area..

Sounds like PC athletics got the building right. I suggest everyone affected by these crazy things send the hockey guy a nice email suggesting he could take better advantage of his new building and #8 ranked team by putting more butts in the seats if they think these things through. Then again the fan experience has not always been something PC seems to care about.

cavbim
10-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Appears that Kevin Rooney will be stepping on the ice on the 4th line tomorrow night
From a Leaman retweet:
“@kroons25: Very excited to hit the ice tomorrow night. Been a long 3 months but finally back. Thanks to everyone for the support along the way. #friars”

Earlier in the week Divver noted Accari appears to be moving to RW on the 3rd line opening a slot on 4th and he indicated it would be Rooney stepping in

PC91
10-25-2013, 09:45 AM
I have two for today if anyone of you psychos wants them. I am going with mini me and can meet you at the rink. It's gonna to be a GREAT weekend of hockey!!!

The Freds
10-25-2013, 07:09 PM
I have two for today if anyone of you psychos wants them. I am going with mini me and can meet you at the rink. It's gonna to be a GREAT weekend of hockey!!!

I'll take them if you send plane tickets.

Jon
10-25-2013, 07:53 PM
So that was a helluva game we all missed.

JLS81
10-25-2013, 08:24 PM
you forgot GLBT

Jon
10-25-2013, 08:40 PM
20 penalties tonight. Yay Hockey East. Was the game that chippy or are the refs in full on whistlefest mode?

Miami fans seem irritated. Hee hee!

beamfj
10-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Nice win tonight. Disappointed I couldn't go but hoping to go tomorrow night. I saw DeJersey missed the last two games. Is he hurt? He had a good freshman year and was in the lineup against Minnesota state to start the year. Their much deeper this year so maybe it's a couple games off for him?