PDA

View Full Version : PC - A new start and a new venue

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Hokydad
01-08-2014, 12:48 PM
What we do? Go after your guy or something? You really think Gillies played well last night? Did you see his terrible rebound control? He wasn't tested too often last night and when he was it went in the night.

Terrible rebound control? What rebound goal did they get? I must have missed them on the tape
He stopped 27 of the first 27 shots and PC was snake bitten 3 or 4 times, could have been 3 or 4 to 0. 2 or 3 times from the tape it looked like PC scored.

Maybe he wasnt tested but he still stopped 27 shots in a row

I can name 10 other Hockey East coaches who will swap golaies with you today. As would the ECAC and the rest of the leagues. A Gilles comes along every 20 years, if you are lucky to a program, last time someone this good was there was Tom Barraso, oh I forgot, he went pro instead....

Better to have a trip up now vs March/April

The Zlax45
01-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Terrible rebound control? What rebound goal did they get? I must have missed them on the tape
He stopped 27 of the first 27 shots and PC was snake bitten 3 or 4 times, could have been 3 or 4 to 0. 2 or 3 times from the tape it looked like PC scored.

I can name 10 other Hockey East coaches who will swap golaies with you today. As would the ECAC and the rest of the leagues. A Gilles comes along every 20 years, if you are lucky to a program, last time someone this good was there was Tom Barraso, oh I forgot, he went pro instead....

I don't think Lowell takes Gillies... :-)

I guess you missed Gillies kicking out rebounds to scoring areas and struggling to find the puck. Gillies has struggled since the Quinnipiac games. The Brown game saw him give up a couple of bad goals and it continued at Northeastern with him beat on a Manson shot to start the game that every D-1 goalie has to stop and Roy beating him with a wrist shot on a shot from around the top of the face-off dot. He struggled in the World Juniors and has continued now. That is now over a month of him struggling.

It is better to have a trip up now over March/April but I don't think this team gets to late March/April with the way Gillies has been playing.

Friar Away
01-08-2014, 01:54 PM

Just because NU wasn't potting the rebounds doesn't mean it isn't concerning. He just hasn't looked like himself for a little bit. He really looked mediocre in Sweden, was fighting the puck, and got burned by leaving juicy rebounds and loose pucks in front of the net at World Jrs. The tying goal last night should have never got past him and it continues a trend of him not looking like himself. I think he's just in a rut and will bounce back. He's our best player, our backbone so we better hope he bounces back. Maybe we're not as good as we seemed early in the season, perhaps were a 6-10 team not a top 5 team. As they say you are never as bad as you are at your worst, and never as good as you are at your best.

sk8tronthepond
01-08-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't think Lowell takes Gillies... :-)

I guess you missed Gillies kicking out rebounds to scoring areas and struggling to find the puck. Gillies has struggled since the Quinnipiac games. The Brown game saw him give up a couple of bad goals and it continued at Northeastern with him beat on a Manson shot to start the game that every D-1 goalie has to stop and Roy beating him with a wrist shot on a shot from around the top of the face-off dot. He struggled in the World Juniors and has continued now. That is now over a month of him struggling.

It is better to have a trip up now over March/April but I don't think this team gets to late March/April with the way Gillies has been playing.

I agree with some of this. Especially since MOST, if not all PC's recent success has been squarely on the shoulders of Gillies. They will go as he will go. It seems that he is not getting much support from his team mates. I don't however, think it's fair to railroad an elite player when they struggle. Elite players will occasionally struggle, and obviously through his play lately, that is evident. It is more glaring because he is a goalie. Any other player can hide when struggling. Time will tell what he is made of!

The Zlax45
01-08-2014, 03:13 PM
I agree with some of this. Especially since MOST, if not all PC's recent success has been squarely on the shoulders of Gillies. They will go as he will go. It seems that he is not getting much support from his team mates. I don't however, think it's fair to railroad an elite player when they struggle. Elite players will occasionally struggle, and obviously through his play lately, that is evident. It is more glaring because he is a goalie. Any other player can hide when struggling. Time will tell what he is made of!

Oh, you want to hear more...

PAGING MARK JANKOWSKI!

sk8tronthepond
01-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Oh, you want to hear more...

PAGING MARK JANKOWSKI!

Good one!!:) You might find him in the tall grass.......nothing that a lawnmower can't fix!!

The Zlax45
01-08-2014, 04:38 PM
I might be hard on the team but I think everyone here wants PC to be a contender for a National Championship. Constructive criticism that is all!

Jon
01-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Let's be fair. After 29 years of disappointment and frustration, any loss is going to make some of us think "here we go again..."

GarbageGoal
01-08-2014, 06:16 PM
First of all, this was my first trip to the new building, and liked what I saw. My only question for future reference is that they used to hang the media notes in a plastic sleeve near the press box....does anyone know where you can find those now?

Tough game to lose last night, there's no other way to put it. I don't think Gilles was struggling the whole night I thought his positioning was fine, but certainly once he gave up the cheapie it got into his head and NU made quick work of him in OT.

As far as Jankowski, if I was a Flames fan I'd be worried. He already floats out there like similar guys to his size did once they got to the pros (Lee Goren and Joe Colborne come to mind). I dunno, maybe the little guys like Mauermann and Mingoia just stand out more because they have to work harder for it, but I liked what I saw from them.

J.D.
01-08-2014, 08:18 PM
so i'm watching the highlights on hockey east site and maybe it's just me, but i'm not seeing a penalty on the providence goal that got waved off.

FiveHole12
01-08-2014, 08:31 PM
so i'm watching the highlights on hockey east site and maybe it's just me, but i'm not seeing a penalty on the providence goal that got waved off.
#21 is pushing the NU d-man and then crosschecks him into the goalie... interference I'd say.

J.D.
01-08-2014, 08:37 PM
eh, really doesn't look like much of anything at all to me. but, we can agree to disagree.

J.D.
01-08-2014, 08:41 PM
i guess that little nudge at the end was enough to slightly throw the goalie off, tough one though.

BlackI
01-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Let's be fair. After 29 years of disappointment and frustration, any loss is going to make some of us think "here we go again..."

No. Not until you lose an alternator. That happens... well, maybe. :D

The Freds
01-08-2014, 10:59 PM

Well, I would say after 23 years. Otherwise, lighten up folks, and enjoy the ride.

Jon
01-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Well, I would say after 23 years. Otherwise, lighten up folks, and enjoy the ride.
Are you loaning out the rose colored glasses? We might need some before tomorrow night...

(I'm assuming you're referring to the infamous Brown loss in 1990 that seemed to have sent the program backwards. if we want to get really picky, the program didn't really fall off the map until that horrific QF series against BU in 2003. When I was in IN)

No. Not until you lose an alternator. That happens... well, maybe. :D

That will never stop being funny.

PcFriars13
01-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Bought my tickets for alumni weekend! See you all there!

The Freds
01-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Are you loaning out the rose colored glasses? We might need some before tomorrow night...

(I'm assuming you're referring to the infamous Brown loss in 1990 that seemed to have sent the program backwards. if we want to get really picky, the program didn't really fall off the map until that horrific QF series against BU in 2003. When I was in IN)

Yeah, I lost the rose colored glasses after that 2003 series. Fire Pooley!

FiveHole12
01-10-2014, 06:05 AM
Tonight's game is sold out through the BC ticket office but there are 2 tickets available at the BC Ticket Market Place, at face value, if anyone is interested.
BC Ticket Market Place (https://www.ticketmrktplace.com/ex/loginFrame.action?team=Boston%20College%20Mens%20H ockey)

These tickets are sold, but I saw some others there.

squidjigger
01-10-2014, 08:16 AM
It's really a shame NESN couldn't have picked up this game tonight. Their schedule for tonight isn't exactly must see T.V....

7:00pm Celebrity Spotlight Series Doug Flutie Golf NEW
7:30pm Pro Football Weekly NEW
8:00pm Bruins In Two Bruins at Los Angeles Kings