PDA

View Full Version : UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Wolfman
09-12-2013, 12:26 PM
What actions does the new AD have to take to satisfy the "hockey community"?
Not a loaded question.

Well, like Suze said, he has much experience in reaching out to the community to bolster support for sports programs. In Nevada, it was Football and baseball. But, in theory, If he is good in gaining support for those sports, then he can do the same for hockey. That is what I suppose the UAA administraition is thinking.

Jimjamesak
09-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Not a loaded question.
Get a new arena built.

Wolfman
09-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Get a new arena built.

I have been talking with folks on the WAC board and the wolfpack fans talk very highly about Mr. Hackett. They are very sad he is Leaving Nevada-Reno, and think that we found a jewel. They want him back because he has apparently done so much for the University of Nevada in the community and brought the spirit of Wolfpack athletics back to Reno. That is very impressive.

However, with the statewide politics and corruption, how can Keith do any better than Steve Cobb did? I am not picking a fight here. I am being honest. I know you say Cobb was not engaging with the hockey community, understand this point. But, there are other factors here that will tie Keith's hands and I just don't know how he can do any better because of the politics at statewide in Fairbanks. Suze, please don't get mad at me, I am being honest.

Wolfman
09-12-2013, 06:38 PM
I have been talking with folks on the WAC board and the wolfpack fans talk very highly about Mr. Hackett. They are very sad he is Leaving Nevada-Reno, and think that we found a jewel. They want him back because he has apparently done so much for the University of Nevada in the community and brought the spirit of Wolfpack athletics back to Reno. That is very impressive.

However, with the statewide politics and corruption, how can Keith do any better than Steve Cobb did? I am not picking a fight here. I am being honest. I know you say Cobb was not engaging with the hockey community, understand this point. But, there are other factors here that will tie Keith's hands and I just don't know how he can do any better because of the politics at statewide in Fairbanks. Suze, please don't get mad at me, I am being honest.

New Ice Arena made final draft of the 2013 Masterplan. http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/masterplan/upload/FINAL-DRAFT_UAA-Campus-Master-Plan-2013-08_26_2013.pdf

Suze
09-12-2013, 08:58 PM
New Ice Arena made final draft of the 2013 Masterplan. http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/masterplan/upload/FINAL-DRAFT_UAA-Campus-Master-Plan-2013-08_26_2013.pdf

But the ice arena in the student rec center is listed only as potential future actions. And where is the funding going to come from?

Suze
09-12-2013, 09:05 PM

Sounds like he is a people person and knows how to reach out the community. I think you're right, that was probably very attractive to the UAA admin. in making this hire. Should be an exciting year for UAA sports.

Wolfman
09-12-2013, 09:46 PM
But the ice arena in the student rec center is listed only as potential future actions. And where is the funding going to come from?

Where did the money come from for the current arena?

Alaska Hockey
09-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Where did the money come from for the current arena?

State wide education bond passed by the voters of Alaska.

uaafanblog
09-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Wasn't a bond that I remember ... Wasn't it just a capital budget item?

Jimjamesak
09-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Wasn't a bond that I remember ... Wasn't it just a capital budget item?
No, it had to pass a vote.

Wolfman
09-12-2013, 11:02 PM
State wide education bond passed by the voters of Alaska.

Well OK then!

uaafanblog
09-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Doesn't matter either way UUA's AD has no real power to get an arena since he reports to the Administration Dept.

Wolfman
09-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Doesn't matter either way UUA's AD has no real power to get an arena since he reports to the Administration Dept.

Too much politics at statewide going on

ninelives
09-13-2013, 12:22 AM

well if the new AD is good at raising money from the community as the articles say, and if there was private money in the works for a new arena, maybe there will be hope for one sooner than later....

Wolfman
09-13-2013, 12:34 AM
well if the new AD is good at raising money from the community as the articles say, and if there was private money in the works for a new arena, maybe there will be hope for one sooner than later....

Yes agree

Alaska Hockey
09-13-2013, 03:59 AM
Not a loaded question.
Just dial up Darryl Thompson, President Alaska State Hockey Association and remind him he represents More than 10,000 players, coaches and officials and “for every kid, there’s two parents who aren’t registered”.
To put his money where his mouth was and Lead your association to the Sullivan and watch and cheer for the Seawolves.

Suze
09-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Just dial up Darryl Thompson, President Alaska State Hockey Association and remind him he represents More than 10,000 players, coaches and officials and “for every kid, there’s two parents who aren’t registered”.
To put his money where his mouth was and Lead your association to the Sullivan and watch and cheer for the Seawolves.

LOL, maybe you should write a letter to the editor in the ADN? ;)

Wolfman
09-13-2013, 12:30 PM
OK folks just read this article: http://www.staradvertiser.com/newspremium/20130913_bold_path_set_for_uh.html?id=223599891 We need an AD like Ben Jay. I really hope Keith can work like Mr. Jay. What a great bold plan for Hawaii. This is what I call vision and passion. UAA needs someone like that, not the "community college" mentality that some people want to keep us at!

Wolfman
09-13-2013, 02:10 PM
I wonder if UAA could use this P3 model to fund a new Ice arena. This seemed to work up at UAF! http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-Journal-of-Commerce/September-Issue-3-2013/UAF-private-partner-work-on-Wood-Center-expansion/

Suze
09-13-2013, 03:48 PM
I wonder if UAA could use this P3 model to fund a new Ice arena. This seemed to work up at UAF! http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-Journal-of-Commerce/September-Issue-3-2013/UAF-private-partner-work-on-Wood-Center-expansion/

$28 million is a drop in the bucket compared to what would be needed for a new ice arena. At least one that we can be proud of. I do admire Ben Jay's vision, great article, but I couldn't read most of it because it wanted me to log in.