PDA

View Full Version : UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Seawolf Fan
12-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Not gonna lie I am half tempted to vote him for lieutenant governor just to get him out of town.
And maybe we end up with another 1/2 Governor and Sneak ends up in that seat?
I whole heartedly agree with your sentiment to get rid of him but we should be very careful not to give Sneak
any political opening.
Please contact your Assembly representative and let them know where you stand on the ice vs tennis issue.
And where are the ice associations when the Assembly meets and there are more tennis elites attending than ice folks?

gfmorris
12-16-2013, 03:09 PM
The most logical choice would be the goal judge. But we don't want to bring logic into this. The score keepers area by the penalty boxes is horrible to view shots from. You would think it is great but it sucks.

You would never do SOG from the goal judge's box. They have enough to occupy their eyes. If you did that as the goal judge, you'd be late on goals.

Remember that the SOG count also has to note who took the shot from a scoring perspective, and that's separate from the shot chart, which you can only hope matches up to the box. Every school that I've ever seen has their stat crew on press row or at a specific scorer's area. (I used to do traveling radio, so I've been in at least 15 D-I buildings.) If schools had the money (for the personnel) and the hardware/software to do it, we could do live TOI. Maybe the big schools do this, but I don't remember seeing it in Kohl, Magness, or Mariucci.

I'll second that the scorer's box has awful angles. When you're looking through 2-4 panes of glass, it gets hard to have a good view. I hate doing PA (mainly because I'm terrible at it; throwing lots of energy sends my voice stupid high where I sound foofy), and that's a definite reason why. You do get to have a conversation with the refs, though, and the stuff that you hear can be pretty funny.

GFM

Suze
12-16-2013, 08:41 PM
And maybe we end up with another 1/2 Governor and Sneak ends up in that seat?
I whole heartedly agree with your sentiment to get rid of him but we should be very careful not to give Sneak
any political opening.
Please contact your Assembly representative and let them know where you stand on the ice vs tennis issue.
And where are the ice associations when the Assembly meets and there are more tennis elites attending than ice folks?

We lived in Chugiak for 32 years so I contacted all of the Assembly persons and let them know how I felt. I got responses back from several who are really against tennis. I agree that Sullivan is less than forthright with the facts. He said there is money set aside for SMG to do repairs at the Sully, implying all of the allocated $$ didn't have to go to the arena. If that's right, how come it's been three years since I wrote to the Muni Contract Administrator (to buy new runner rugs for Parent's Weekend so parents didn't trip and fall on the hard ice) and only ONE old rug has been replaced with a new one? I was told by someone who works for SMG that every year they request $$ for upgrades, and every year they are denied. :rolleyes:

As far as where the SOG person sits, I have it on good authority that they sit on press row with the other stat people and UAA's Sports Information person.

Suze
12-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Am I the only one watching the streaming Assembly meeting? Talk about confusing! How many amendments of the resolution were there anyway? Sheesh. Not sure what to make of it all, I guess I'll have to see what is in the paper tomorrow morning.

Edit: http://www.adn.com/2013/12/17/3235953/assembly-approves-44-million-for.html

4.4 millon was passed for tennis. Does the Sullivan Arena get some of the initial 27 million from the original funding? Anyone know how this all shakes out for the Sully upgrades?

Seawolf Fan
12-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Am I the only one watching the streaming Assembly meeting? Talk about confusing! How many amendments of the resolution were there anyway? Sheesh. Not sure what to make of it all, I guess I'll have to see what is in the paper tomorrow morning.

Edit: http://www.adn.com/2013/12/17/3235953/assembly-approves-44-million-for.html

4.4 millon was passed for tennis. Does the Sullivan Arena get some of the initial 27 million from the original funding? Anyone know how this all shakes out for the Sully upgrades?
Kinda hard to answer your questions.
Mayor Sneak left the meeting immediately after the vote to appropriate $4.4 for the tennis courts. Sneak wasn't interested in any other city business. Only his tennis courts.
With Dempsey-Anderson being in close proximity to Sneaks' proposed tennis courts it's hard to say that he won't finagle money away from that ice and use the money on his tennis courts. "All one facility" in his convoluted argument.
However Sneak shuffles and misappropriates the money it will dilute the amount available to maintain and update existing Projects 80 infrastructure.
Will Sullivan arena receive the requisite work to bring it up to todays standards?
With Sneak in charge it's difficult to say.

Suze
12-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Kinda hard to answer your questions.
Mayor Sneak left the meeting immediately after the vote to appropriate $4.4 for the tennis courts. Sneak wasn't interested in any other city business. Only his tennis courts.
With Dempsey-Anderson being in close proximity to Sneaks' proposed tennis courts it's hard to say that he won't finagle money away from that ice and use the money on his tennis courts. "All one facility" in his convoluted argument.
However Sneak shuffles and misappropriates the money it will dilute the amount available to maintain and update existing Projects 80 infrastructure.
Will Sullivan arena receive the requisite work to bring it up to todays standards?
With Sneak in charge it's difficult to say.

Very true! I sure enjoyed it when Amy Demboski put him in his place when he tried to veto the Assembly's vote!! That was priceless. :) In my conversation with Demboski, she was afraid that if they didn't pass something that the money for the Sullivan Arena upgrades would be delayed until 2015.

Suze
12-18-2013, 04:53 PM
The Sullivan Arena gets an additional $4.438 million from the 10.5 that was being debated. This is on top of the initial grant received from the 26.5 million that was already appropriated. I am trying to get the breakdown on how much, in total, the Sully is getting ... and what upgrades will be done. Hopefully it will be everything that UAA and the Aces have asked for!

AKSWF
12-18-2013, 06:47 PM

I know what we should do, litter his lawn with tennis balls, broken tennis rackets, and ratty tennis shoes.

Suze
12-18-2013, 06:51 PM
I know what we should do, litter his lawn with tennis balls, broken tennis rackets, and ratty tennis shoes.

Sullivan did not want this to come before the voters because he most likely knew it would fail. He was trying to control both the executive and legislative branches! He can't do that. Now it will be very interesting to see if the tennis community can come up with the rest of the money ... my bet is they won't be able to.

Seawolf Fan
12-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Sullivan did not want this to come before the voters because he most likely knew it would fail. He was trying to control both the executive and legislative branches! He can't do that. Now it will be very interesting to see if the tennis community can come up with the rest of the money ... my bet is they won't be able to.

Suze, I agree with your bet.
However it's difficult to determine how much money you're talking about.
At this point it appears the tennis folks got $4.4. Mayor Sneak wanted something north of $7.2.
$7.2 - $4.4 = $2.8 for the tennis folks to raise....and I'm pretty sure Sneak had a larger figure in mind. When Demboski put Sneak in his place and he lost the vote he stormed out acting like a spoiled brat.
In my opinion Sneak won't quit here. He and his fellow co-conspirators Johnson & Hall along with the Spenard legislator battling her recall will concoct some backdoor, in the dark of night subterfuge to get their claws on that money.
Wanna bet????

Suze
12-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Suze, I agree with your bet.
However it's difficult to determine how much money you're talking about.
At this point it appears the tennis folks got $4.4. Mayor Sneak wanted something north of $7.2.
$7.2 - $4.4 = $2.8 for the tennis folks to raise....and I'm pretty sure Sneak had a larger figure in mind. When Demboski put Sneak in his place and he lost the vote he stormed out acting like a spoiled brat.
In my opinion Sneak won't quit here. He and his fellow co-conspirators Johnson & Hall along with the Spenard legislator battling her recall will concoct some backdoor, in the dark of night subterfuge to get their claws on that money.
Wanna bet????

I don't ever win bets ... just ask Mr. Suze :) But I do think we haven't heard the end of this!

seawolfpunk
12-18-2013, 11:42 PM
New recruit via Doyle, Wyatt ege from the Fairbanks ice dogs for 2015. Short dude at 5"11. Welcome Wyatt to Seawolf nation.

hockeytownak
12-19-2013, 02:47 AM
I don't have all the detail but there's been some chatter around the local rinks that the Muni is planning to mothball one of the sheets of ice in town. Either in BB or DA. I'm not sure if this is being done to prepare for renovations or if it's, as some people are saying,...because there isn't enough "demand".

Anyone have additional information on this proposal? I'm laking facts but have plenty of theories.

Suze
12-19-2013, 03:02 AM
New recruit via Doyle, Wyatt ege from the Fairbanks ice dogs for 2015. Short dude at 5"11. Welcome Wyatt to Seawolf nation.

Sounds solid, thanks for the info!

The ADN lists the Aces attendance tonight at 3,338. I watched the highlights on TV, the yellow seats were even more empty then they were at the last UAA game. I guess all of the Aces fans must have been sitting in the balcony, eh?

Suze
12-19-2013, 03:08 AM
I don't have all the detail but there's been some chatter around the local rinks that the Muni is planning to mothball one of the sheets of ice in town. Either in BB or DA. I'm not sure if this is being done to prepare for renovations or if it's, as some people are saying,...because there isn't enough "demand".

Anyone have additional information on this proposal? I'm laking facts but have plenty of theories.

At last nights Assembly meeting they discussed replacing one sheet of ice at the BB - and having enough money set aside to replace the second sheet (it was estimated the second sheet of ice would last another 6 years). From the 10.5 million that was appropriated, Ben Boeke got $1.135 million, and Dempsey Anderson $520k. Hopefully you are just hearing unfounded rumors.

seawolfpunk
12-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Sounds solid, thanks for the info!

The ADN lists the Aces attendance tonight at 3,338. I watched the highlights on TV, the yellow seats were even more empty then they were at the last UAA game. I guess all of the Aces fans must have been sitting in the balcony, eh?

It's a Wednesday night game, those normally don't sell out. And when it comes to attendance, most sponsors buy a butt load of tickets and never get used which is why you get higher #s (most sporting events are like this)

Wolfman
12-19-2013, 06:43 PM
I am really hoping that the Sullivan gets the new glass next year along with the replacement lower bowl seats as well as the new scoreboard too! This is with the replacement of the ice that was already scheduled to happen! That will be a good day in Seawolf hockey!

Suze
12-19-2013, 07:01 PM
I am really hoping that the Sullivan gets the new glass next year along with the replacement lower bowl seats as well as the new scoreboard too! This is with the replacement of the ice that was already scheduled to happen! That will be a good day in Seawolf hockey!

I am hoping they get ALL of these improvements. Look how long it took to get the roof repaired! It's their only shot for a long time.

Seawolf Fan
12-19-2013, 08:23 PM
The young man is 18 and coming in at 20????
With the right eating and conditioning regimen he should be a good sized addition to our program.

seawolfpunk
12-19-2013, 08:56 PM
The young man is 18 and coming in at 20????
With the right eating and conditioning regimen he should be a good sized addition to our program.

That's not uncommon, Hudson friesen is only 20, and bailey was 19 when he joined.