This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2013-14

No doubt about it the 4 refs may have cost Colgate a trip to the NCAAs. A blatant throw of a broken stick by Gothesbiere at a Colgate player in the second while up 4-2 and a no-call for reasons NOBODY can explain was the game changer tonight when Union scored their 3rd goal (fluke) about 15 seconds after that. Just don't understand how that was not called. In my opinion the worst part of college hockey, terrible officiating. That 3rd goal does not happen if that call is made and it may have been a 5-2 game after that.

Comment

Empty net, the game was on Finn's stick. I was impressed that he showed frustration with it (had a hard time saluting). Shows he realized he made mistakes and was not ok with it. He seems to require perfection and that is what we need in net.

Obviously, not happy with this tie but we DIDNT lose this weekend. Which is important in the pairwise. Let's see where they play out tomorrow morning. We go into the playoffs 14-19 I think we can play ourselves into the NCAA getting to placid.

Lost in all of this is that 'gate gor home ice at minimum in the first round. With four games left that is impressive.

We ran out of gas both nights,just need to take care of business in NJ and then play well at QU
      Last edited by red133883; 02-15-2014, 09:00 PM.

Comment

2 soft goals allowed by Finn tonight. Why why WHY didn't he cover up in the 3rd period, which resulted in Union's 4th goal? We left two pts on the table this weekend and should have gotten four.
        Colgate '09

Comment

Proud that the team rebounded to play a much better game and scored 4 goals against the #3 team. The pp was successful, too. What else can be said about Colgate holding a lead?! Unfortunate 3rd period meltdowns but Finn is a frosh so he can only get better! Was glad Coach didn't pull another switcheroo w/ Mihalik for tonight.

These ties seem like they're hurting more than they're helping in the PWR. Guess we should focus on league play and take care of business in the playoffs instead of worrying about our bubble status!

Congrats on the 2pts 'Gate! Go storm Princeton and Qpac and get more of the same!
          C O L G A T E
          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
          1990 NCAA FINALS
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I'm with 'Net - I don't like to complain about the refs because both teams have to play with the same set of "rules" for the night. Tonight the refs were one-sided and quite frankly embarrassing. No way anyone with there eyes open misses Gotis-whats-his-name's THROWING HIS STICK. That is the most bush league bull I've ever seen in a college hockey rink. It's not just a penalty its an intent to injure. Should have been 2 plus 10.

The double minor in the OT was flat out gutless. That union puke was holding on to Colgate's player's leg for 20 seconds before the call was made - that's interference 5 on 4 Colgate - not some BS double minor. Don't know whether its tonight or a habit but union was a punk team tonight. Chirping after the 4th goal (which sure as he-double hockey sticks looked like goal tender interference to me - GR called it like maybe the push popped out of Finn's glove prior to Sullivan getting there but that wasn't visible on the internet feed) numerous flat out tackles (including with 1 second left), diving while holding the stick (which count's as "embellishment" of a hooking call until you think about it and realize that it isn't really hooking if I'm holding your stick…), snowing the goalie and regularly interfering with same. union was that the Hawks the team the Mighty Ducks beat in the first movie - good but whining cheating little brats about it. At 4-2 I was thinking it was no surprise that the Cap District Cup problems happened between union and RPI - and that was before some of the more egregious antics. Short story union played with exactly zero class tonight. I have never rooted against an ECAC team in the NCAA's before (even Cornell - for which I have dutifully spent my 4 minutes sitting in the box and feeling shame) - I will this year - I'll root for the road kill of the University of Wisconsin before l root for union.

Overall a tough game to lose - and this sure as heck feels like a loss - with union getting the most undeserved point I've seen in many, many years. For much of the game we looked quite good and against an elite (UnfortUnately - yes I can type a capital U - but such respect needs to be earned - and the team from Knott Street did.not.earn.it) team. Guilty of too may guys chasing the puck on the first two union goals but overall the team is providing strong and intelligent support to each other. The boys still like to be too cute on offense once in awhile but they made more smart plays in that regard this game than in the Dartmouth game I saw live. A couple of times Gate Radio wondered why no shot but better sometimes to wait for support and play the better odds rather than take a flyer at a low percentage high-light reel shot (a point in his defense GR recognized on air on at least one such occasion). Hope the short shifting of Goulakos wasn't a sign of any real problem. We need some depth on defense (as the last night v. tonight comp showed) and there isn't any scheduled help til 2015 - here's to a last minute find for next year.

On the standings front, my feeling going into the final seven was that we needed to hold serve against the H-D-P trio and get 2 points from C-RPI-u-Q crew - that would give us 27 points and highly likely a top 4 finish (27 points has gotten that done since 2005 - where it would have gone to tie-breakers as H was 4th with 27 that year). Getting 4 of 6 from C-RPI-u without suffering a loss is excellent. Unfortunately H-D-P isn't looking like as easy a stretch as it did at one point. The kind of cool thing is that of the four teams fighting for the final 2 by's - three have the same schedule (Cornell, Gate and Yale all have the Q-P and H-D weekends left). On paper Clarkson has the toughest road as they have both RPI-u and Q-P left. I think 2 wins gets us the by week - three guarantee's it. A strong win against Princeton would be a great way to set up the final four games - wash away the bad taste of this weekend and be able to go into Q's building relaxed and in control of our own destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
              Empty net, the game was on Finn's stick. I was impressed that he showed frustration with it (had a hard time saluting). Shows he realized he made mistakes and was not ok with it. He seems to require perfection and that is what we need in net.
              The key is gonna be how he responds. Charlie's pretty clearly our #1, but, still, he's only a freshman, and the margin for error at this point in the year is just about down to nothing. He gets just one of those last 2 back, and we win. If he goes out determined to prove that tonight was a fluke, then we're in good shape. If this does something to his confidence, we may be in trouble.

Right now, 29 points is the magic number for clinching a first round bye. Colgate can top out at 31, so first place is probably out of the question, but 2nd place is entirely gettable. But, as mentioned, we have clinched a home playoff series of some type. Dartmouth killed Clarkson tonight 6-1 at Clarkson, there are no easy games at this point. Gotta take care of business.

Comment

Originally posted by still an empty net View Post
                No doubt about it the 4 refs may have cost Colgate a trip to the NCAAs. A blatant throw of a broken stick by Gothesbiere at a Colgate player in the second while up 4-2 and a no-call for reasons NOBODY can explain was the game changer tonight when Union scored their 3rd goal (fluke) about 15 seconds after that. Just don't understand how that was not called. In my opinion the worst part of college hockey, terrible officiating. That 3rd goal does not happen if that call is made and it may have been a 5-2 game after that.
                Supposedly #26 has been getting favorable calls all weekend. During the alumni dinner prior to the RPI/Cornell game, I heard a few of the Lynah faithful with ties to RPI that Woody Hayes was getting away with a lot.

Tough break on the tie tonight.

Comment

The thrown stick was blatant. I wouldnt go as far as intent to injure, but definitely an obviously illegal move to prevent a scoring chance.

Comment

With our 0-0-2 record, we dropped 3 spots in the PWR to 17th. Meanwhile, Clarkson has fallen all the way to 26th, so our two wins against them have lost stock value. We're going to need to beat both P and Q if we want to get back on the right side of the bubble.
                    Colgate '09

Comment

Trying to stay positive...we had the #3 team beat for 55 minutes and were rewarded with a nice pic on the front page :-)
                      Cornell loses x2 as does UVM but they both stay on the "right" side of the bubble and Colgate doesn't :-(
                      Pton scored 5 on Yale, wow...Qpac lost to Brown at home...need a solid game at Hobey and could be our chance on Sat!
                      Congrats to the women on their road sweep.
                      C O L G A T E
                      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                      1990 NCAA FINALS
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

We got 2 points and didnt lose, and are 3 points up on 4-5th place with 4 games to go. Overall not a bad weekend. At the beginning of the weekend if someone had told me this was going to be the result I would have taken it. The difference is we had each game dead to rights and gave up the point.

And as far as the bubble is concerned, we are going to have to sweat it out all season to find out if we end up on the right side of things. We arent going to be in a position where we are comfortably in the NCAA. So keeping touch with the bubble and not losing a lot of games will be key. Just keep in the running going into the playoffs, we will need to make placid (and possibly the final game to get an at large bid). This is where the dropping of the Consolation game could kill us this year, and that sucks, because in years past (2005) the Consol game got us into the tournament.

On a related note does anyone know how OT games in the playoffs are used for pairwise. I know regular season games that go longer than 5 min overtime are considered ties, does this continue for playoff hockey or do they use the final result?

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                          We got 2 points and didnt lose, and are 3 points up on 4-5th place with 4 games to go. Overall not a bad weekend. At the beginning of the weekend if someone had told me this was going to be the result I would have taken it. The difference is we had each game dead to rights and gave up the point.

And as far as the bubble is concerned, we are going to have to sweat it out all season to find out if we end up on the right side of things. We arent going to be in a position where we are comfortably in the NCAA. So keeping touch with the bubble and not losing a lot of games will be key. Just keep in the running going into the playoffs, we will need to make placid (and possibly the final game to get an at large bid). This is where the dropping of the Consolation game could kill us this year, and that sucks, because in years past (2005) the Consol game got us into the tournament.

On a related note does anyone know how OT games in the playoffs are used for pairwise. I know regular season games that go longer than 5 min overtime are considered ties, does this continue for playoff hockey or do they use the final result?
                          Regular season games can't go past 5 min OT ???
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Pretty sure a tie is considered a loss and a win for PWR considerations.

Comment

Finn absolutely stole a point for us Friday, had a bad day Saturday. I consider it a wash, if not for him we would not be where we are in the standings. A three point lead in third I'll take all day long, we are in great shape. Picked for tenth or eleventh, my barometer of the team is if we get to Placid after only playing one playoff series, at home. Anything after that is just cream on a great season.

I also like the fact that we're getting secondary scoring and not just from Spink, Spink, and Baun. With seventeen frosh and sophs, we knew there would be ups and downs, going forward same team next year plus recruits it will be vey interesting, I think Gate hockey is in the best position for success that we have been in, a very long time. Don't forget the new rink also.

Comment

Shabby; you can play more than 5min of ot if you want in the regular season(beanpot is the prime example) but as far as NCAA consideration is concerned only wins and losses in the first 5 min count.

So the question is, does Vaughn start Finn, and try to get his confidence up and show confidence or do you give mihalik the nod. I first thought of going with mihalik would be obvious but now it seems like getting finn back out there would be a good idea, and (depending on standings) give him a breather during senior weekend
                                Last edited by red133883; 02-16-2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X