This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2013-14

Where did our defensemen go last night ? We hung Finn out to dry, two or three breakaways in the first period and other odd man rushes. He stopped the breakaways but the first two goals after the initial save the puck popped high in the air and came down behind him into the goal. He had very little help. Blueliners were pinching and taking way too many chances setting up the odd man rushes. At 2-1 early second I thought we were back in it but more mistakes cost us and at 4-1 the game was literally over after two. Brown just took care of business in their own end in the third, taking no chances. They played a very solid game.

First time in quite awhile I though we were bad defensively, got to play better tonight or the ECAC tightens up. Next three Cornell, Union, and RPI all at home. Crunchtime.

BTW...Second time or more I've watched on the "IVY League Network", the announcers are a joke. So IVY biased.

A win tonight would be huge, five of our last seven games are home!
    Last edited by sshablak; 02-01-2014, 07:45 AM.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      BTW...Second time or more I've watched on the "IVY League Network", the announcers are a joke. So IVY biased.
      If you're talking about the ILDN, it doesn't have network announcers, it just uses the school feed, so you were listening to Brown. (I haven't heard Brown this year but if they're the team from the last couple seasons they give SLU a run for best imitation of Hawk Harrelson homerism.)

The good news for you is tonight you'll get Yale. The Yale PBP guy is about 8 years old, but the girl is incredibly hot.
      Last edited by Kepler; 02-01-2014, 07:50 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

LOL, so bad, for example, a shot from center ice trickling down on Finn and the announcers were screaming how it almost went in. Gate's first goal was a onetimer from just above the cicle and they were saying how it was a weak goal and their goalie must stop them. It was pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
          LOL, so bad, for example, a shot from center ice trickling down on Finn and the announcers were screaming how it almost went in. Gate's first goal was a onetimer from just above the cicle and they were saying how it was a weak goal and their goalie must stop them. It was pathetic.
          Yeah, Brown and SLU are really the only broadcast teams in the ECAC that are THAT bad when it comes to blind homerism (and SLU is saved because the PBP guy while biased is excellent, and the color guy is like a Stephen Colbert parody of a drunk angry talk radio shock jock). Those pairings sound more like western announcers, where it seems like the expectation from their fanbase is that games must be broadcast in a North Korean Good vs Evil propaganda style. That must be what plays in Peoria.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I was at last night's game. We played horribly in the first two periods. Finn was saving our bacon, stopping a 2-on-1 and a breakaway, then he makes a save that goes up in the air, floats for about a second, then hits his upper back and deflects into the net. A very flukey goal, but it set the tone for the rest of the night. We went back to playing the hockey that made us successful in the 3rd period but we couldn't find the back of the net, and it was too little, too late.

In other news, we we successful in staying out of the sin bin. We were a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill, and we went 1-for-3 on the power play. Both Spink twins scored, and each earned their 50th career point in the process! Tyson's goal (Colgate's 2nd goal) was a beautiful wraparound where the Brown goalie left that part of the cage wide open.

I won't be traveling down to New Haven tonight, but I will be dishing out the $15.95 for the 1-month pass, effectively giving me a "discount" for the Princeton game in a few weeks. Let's hope we can play much better tonight.
            Colgate '09

Comment

Here's to the three-game losing streak that will be completed against Cornell. That's how you throw an entire month to the garbage.
              Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
                Here's to the three-game losing streak that will be completed against Cornell. That's how you throw an entire month to the garbage.
                Enthusiast, you're beginning to sound like Greencoat. Buck up. We go on the road and get sweeps, we go on the road and get swept. Sometimes things just don't go our way. Gotta put this weekend behind us and get ready for the Big Red. Now that they have leapfrogged us in the standings we need to get busy if we want a bye. Didn't hear or see tonight's game; maybe it was better that way.
                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Definitely not the way you want to go into Cornell week (part II). But hey, we are averaging out as many of us expected. I think many (myself included) got way too high and are coming back to earth.

Based on winning percentage we are now 5th, so now just play for the bye. Clarkson is only 1 pt behind with a game in hand, but we have the inside track against them. Looking at the standings it really looks like there are 5 teams that are bidding for 4 byes. And a win against Cornell flips the script with the tie breaker. A win against Cornell with a top 4 seed on the line will change the perspective.

Just gotta focus on winning and see where that puts us in the ECAC and Pairwise. Lastly, who thought 'gate would be where it is right now? Many were looking, and still are, at next year so what ever happens this year is gravy

Comment

Not only did we lose tonight, I paid money to watch the game online, only for the feed to never work! Just a bad night and a bad weekend. Hopefully playing Cornell will get us back on track. We've got 5 of our next 7 at home too.

Meanwhile, Cornell has leapfrogged us in the standings, but we're still in 4th place. In fact, right now the 1st through 5th place teams are all separated by 1 point. Unfortunately, almost every team now has a game in hand on us, until after next weekend. We just gotta take things one game at a time.
                    Colgate '09

Comment

Can somebody please tell me why mihalik started tonight? No disrespect but all all I heard was Finn played great last night and it was the defense who let him down? Just don't understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by still an empty net View Post
                        Can somebody please tell me why mihalik started tonight? No disrespect but all all I heard was Finn played great last night and it was the defense who let him down? Just don't understand it.
                        Yale fan here, and just letting you know it was not all your goalies fault tonight. First goal, tic tac toe, no chance, second goal he allowed a juicy rebound, but I think was screened on the initial shot. Good game marred by referee incompetence. A ref even tripped a Colgate player and called it on Yale to cover his butt.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          Yale fan here, and just letting you know it was not all your goalies fault tonight. First goal, tic tac toe, no chance, second goal he allowed a juicy rebound, but I think was screened on the initial shot. Good game marred by referee incompetence. A ref even tripped a Colgate player and called it on Yale to cover his butt.
                          Were these the same refs as last night against Cornell who nearly allowed that game to get out of hand as well?

Comment

still does not answer why Finn was not in net tonight on the road against the defending national champions who desperately needed a win...and got it.

Comment

Dumas aka (dumbass) was there again. Friday Referee(s): Harry Dumas,Bob Ritchie
                              Asst. Referee(s): Glen Cooke,Richard Patry

tonight Referee(s): Harry Dumas,Chip McDonald
                              Asst. Referee(s): Nate Turner,Brad LeBlanc

Hmm, whats the common theme here. Allain also was assessed a bench penalty for the first time in a long time tonight. Too bad Lyon did not get a shutout, he really deserved it.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Is Baun out for Cornell ? Head butting and a game misconduct, don't you have to get a game DQ to have to sit next ? I hope I'm right.

Comment

Working...
                                X