Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

This stuff isn't magic - it's basic sports and action video-ship for, what, about 50 years.

Any student and student director with just 10 minutes of orientation would know better than to try to follow a hockey game with a single camera at any setting other than what you guys are describing (wide enough so that about 1/4 to 1/3 of the rink is in the frame).

If they're zooming and trying to follow like you say, it's really beyond a rookie mistake to the level of a clueless mistake.

And note, I'm well aware that these guys are probably students. But I was a student learning basic videography back when "portable" cameras were really, really heavy. That was what we were taught literally on day one. No experience required to know that.

If you want to use anything except wide angle, you have to have multiple (at least two) cameras, with one set wide at all times, and a director who can call shots and switch. But even that is very, very elementary stuff which I believe any one of you could do competently with about 1 period of guided practice by someone who knows what they're doing. The wide camera always follows the action from a "distance" and the close-up or tighter camera grabs shots which the director switches to with the "safety" of the wide camera always available for an instant switch when (a) the shot is lost or (b) just to keep things moving and interesting.

Comment

This stuff isn't magic - it's basic sports and action video-ship for, what, about 50 years.

Any student and student director with just 10 minutes of orientation would know better than to try to follow a hockey game with a single camera at any setting other than what you guys are describing (wide enough so that about 1/4 to 1/3 of the rink is in the frame).

If they're zooming and trying to follow like you say, it's really beyond a rookie mistake to the level of a clueless mistake.

And note, I'm well aware that these guys are probably students. But I was a student learning basic videography back when "portable" cameras were really, really heavy. That was what we were taught literally on day one. No experience required to know that.

If you want to use anything except wide angle, you have to have multiple (at least two) cameras, with one set wide at all times, and a director who can call shots and switch. But even that is very, very elementary stuff which I believe any one of you could do competently with about 1 period of guided practice by someone who knows what they're doing. The wide camera always follows the action from a "distance" and the close-up or tighter camera grabs shots which the director switches to with the "safety" of the wide camera always available for an instant switch when (a) the shot is lost or (b) just to keep things moving and interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by camilo View Post

Sure, it's not hard. I'm just arguing that there are both capital and personnel costs. I had heard (but do not have confirmed) that Fox Sports Go was going to require multiple cameras that would be directed centrally by Fox after you shipped all video out over the Internet. That doesn't make as much sense to me as directing locally, because you're going to be shoving more data down a pipe. (I'm not sure that the VBC has the bandwidth for it.)

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

UAH is heading to Anchorage this week, but this piece I wrote for uahhockey.com looks back at the period when UAH was a regular visitor to Anchorage and Fairbanks.
          http://uahhockey.com/blog/2013/11/06...last-frontier/
          Michael Napier - UAH '97
          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
            UAH is heading to Anchorage this week, but this piece I wrote for uahhockey.com looks back at the period when UAH was a regular visitor to Anchorage and Fairbanks.
            Nice write up, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to playing BamaH again.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
              Wow that's pretty cool, wasn't aware of the history between the teams since I was just starting out as a fan around the last time the teams played each other.

Comment

LSSU 4, Alaska 1. That was embarrassing
                Not because we lost to LSSU. But because…

a. There was nobody who looked like they were giving more than 90%. Embarrassing.
                b. Our defense sucks. We used to take pride in defense. It is now our Achilles’ tendon. Embarrassing.
                c. I can appreciate that Parayko and Quinn can skate, have stick skills, and can dipsie-doodle down the ice…but how about they man up and play defense…like you know…their position. Embarrassing.
                d. And part of this is that we are getting out-coached. We are so predictable on everything, and don’t demand our players go to the dirty areas. We are weak where it counts. Embarrassing.
                e. We didn't get beat by a hot goaltender, we got beat by crappy defense, and now that we are playing games that count, our continued inability to finish. Embarrassing.
                f. Their potential is so much better than we saw tonight. Embarrassing.

That about covers it. Goaltending was OK. We should be well rested for tomorrow and salvage a split, because we really conserved energy tonight. Excellent strategy.

But no matter how disappointed I am in their performance tonight...tomorrow is a new day. Go Nooks!

Comment

The Nooks pretty much kept the Lakers stymied for over half the game. To be honest I was a little nervous until Globke tied the game, the goalie played well and the skaters clogged up the shooting lanes very well.

The game was a lot closer then the 3 goal difference. Looking forward to another good one tonight.
                  BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                    LSSU 4, Alaska 1. That was embarrassing
                    Not because we lost to LSSU. But because…

a. There was nobody who looked like they were giving more than 90%. Embarrassing.
                    b. Our defense sucks. We used to take pride in defense. It is now our Achilles’ tendon. Embarrassing.
                    c. I can appreciate that Parayko and Quinn can skate, have stick skills, and can dipsie-doodle down the ice…but how about they man up and play defense…like you know…their position. Embarrassing.
                    d. And part of this is that we are getting out-coached. We are so predictable on everything, and don’t demand our players go to the dirty areas. We are weak where it counts. Embarrassing.
                    e. We didn't get beat by a hot goaltender, we got beat by crappy defense, and now that we are playing games that count, our continued inability to finish. Embarrassing.
                    f. Their potential is so much better than we saw tonight. Embarrassing.

That about covers it. Goaltending was OK. We should be well rested for tomorrow and salvage a split, because we really conserved energy tonight. Excellent strategy.

But no matter how disappointed I am in their performance tonight...tomorrow is a new day. Go Nooks!
                    UAEmbarrassing
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Alaska 3, LSSU 2, in OT.
                      Solid win for the team on the road, where we haven’t had much success. The team worked hard and except for a few miscues, tightened up on defense. PK gave up a goal but was solid. And we did a better job on face-offs, just not in numbers, but at critical times. Good job in OT. That’s a gutty performance after the home team ties it up late in the game and takes the momentum going into OT. Those were important points.

The Nooks get a weekend off before heading to Big Rapids to face Ferris State, another tough place to get points. We still have some work to do on team defense, but the bye week should help shore that up. And while I would like to see Kunyk get his 100th point at home, I would forgive him if his keepsake puck has a Bulldog on one side.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Sounds like the guys are having some bus trouble on the way home. Good thing it's a bye week, I suppose.

Nice rebound W over a solid Laker team. With a couple of exceptions this has been a resilient team this year. Also nice to not only get a win over LSSU but also get a win in their barn. It's been a while since either of those things has occurred.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Bump.
                          Looks like we've got Ferris just where we want them...over-confident.

Go Nooks!

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                            Bump.
                            Looks like we've got Ferris just where we want them...over-confident.

Go Nooks!
                            We beat them there last year, I think we can do it again. It wasn't that long ago that Ferris was 0-fer-a few years against us.

Comment

I’m optimistic. After watching a number of games on-line, it seems that spots one through nine are up for grabs. UAH’s program has some catching up to do, but their upset of any conference team will probably be instrumental in determining home ice (hope we’re not one of them).

It’s too early with too many schedule inequities to pay attention to conference standings. We should be in most games. We have decent goaltending, speed, scoring, and defense. Nothing really lacking but nothing too dominating either. We need to put all the pieces together each game to be successful. We have had some issues on defense. We have some good individual talent, but we have really had some major miscues and questionable pay at inopportune times. It happens to every team on occasion, but our miscues are probably too frequent. Hope they tighten up on that.

Anybody know if Youngmun is back in the lineup?

I wouldn’t be disappointed with two points at FSU, but squeezing one or two more sure would be nice.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Ferirs State is hot/unbeaten in past seven..ranked 10th and 14th in the polls/3rd nationally in goals per game ....first in the WCHA and still unbeaten in league play....they have two top scorers in the league/their goalie is 8-0-1..and they will have the home ice advantage this weekend...

BUTTTTTT....that said and done.

The Nanooks can win in that building....and I like their chances for at least some points coming off a BYE week..seems that coach and the staff have away of teaching the good stuff and correcting the bad stuff during the down time and some of the nagging bumps and bruises will have got better.
                                GO NOOKS!!!!

from what I know, Youngmun and Larson are still out...latest, unless it changes, was to after christmas....

Comment

Working...
                                X