PDA

View Full Version : NCHC to use shootouts in conference games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Gurtholfin
08-22-2013, 10:19 AM
I look at shootouts in the NHL like I do fighting:

I don't need them. I don't realize that they're absent when they don't happen. I don't take a whole lot of enjoyment from them while they're happening. (uh-oh, on a tee ;))

All that said, when my team is involved in either, I want them to win.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with a tie. Oh well. The powers that be want to make sure that we're all sufficiently entertained. :rolleyes:

The only college shootout I've witnessed was the "championship" game of UW's holiday tourney a few years back and it went like 10 rounds without a goal. B-O-R-I-N-G.

One last thing on shootouts - I absolutely hate them in any playoff game. That a gold medal can be awarded based on a shootout winner is beyond stupid. There's not much more exciting and gut wrenching than an elimination hockey game that goes to OT.

Gurtholfin
08-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Why do I have to show you the other years? YOU said YOU did the research. Post your research in this thread.

I just said I looked at last year's standings. If you are going to tell me that I can't find another one, I will prove you wrong again. 2010-2011 the Kings were 46-30-6 with 98 points with a 10-2 record in shootouts. They made the playoffs. Dallas was 42-29-11 with 95 points with a 5-7 record in shootouts. They missed the playoffs. With ties, the Kings would be 36-34-12 with 84 points and the Stars would be 37-33-12 with 86 points.

I still can't figure out what this means.

What are you getting at? The current rules have shootouts. You play by the current rules.

If a team misses the playoffs by a point or two, there are a zillion factors that can probably looked at. Maybe they took a few games off that they could have won etc, etc, etc...

Generally speaking, the right teams make the playoffs and it's hard to feel sympathetic towards a 9th or 10th place team. Win one more of those 82 games and you're golden.

Biddco
08-22-2013, 10:51 AM
What's so wrong with ties? You still get a point! During the lean years of UMD hockey I was happy for a tie because it was at least a point.

...but I'm probably alone on that thought. :p

Dirty
08-22-2013, 11:01 AM
What's so wrong with ties? You still get a point! During the lean years of UMD hockey I was happy for a tie because it was at least a point.

...but I'm probably alone on that thought. :p

Those years are going to be returning, me boy. You'll be high fiving the person next to you for years to come at AmSoil when that five minute OT ends. That is if there actually is anyone next to you in the ghost town that will be AmSoil Arena. You'll probably have to run across to the press box and high five Ciskie.

cross cheque
08-22-2013, 12:41 PM
AmSoil Arena..

A nice quiet place to read a book.

Tipsy McStagger
08-22-2013, 01:33 PM
What are you getting at? The current rules have shootouts. You play by the current rules.

If a team misses the playoffs by a point or two, there are a zillion factors that can probably looked at. Maybe they took a few games off that they could have won etc, etc, etc...

Generally speaking, the right teams make the playoffs and it's hard to feel sympathetic towards a 9th or 10th place team. Win one more of those 82 games and you're golden.
I was refuting this statement:

In all my research the same NHL playoff teams make the playoffs regardless winning or losing a shoot out.

Shootouts do have an effect on which teams make the playoffs. I never said I had sympathy for the 9th or 10th place teams, but you could certainly make an argument that some of them deserved to make it into the playoffs ahead of the 8th place team. And in a league where the 8 seed in the playoffs sometimes makes it to or even wins the championship, it is kind of a big deal.

If the shootout is such a good idea, then why don't they use it in the playoffs? Because it is a gimmick.

Gurtholfin
08-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Shootouts do have an effect on which teams make the playoffs. I never said I had sympathy for the 9th or 10th place teams, but you could certainly make an argument that some of them deserved to make it into the playoffs ahead of the 8th place team. And in a league where the 8 seed in the playoffs sometimes makes it to or even wins the championship, it is kind of a big deal.

I agree that it's a gimmick and I remember going to games that ended in ties, which I greatly preferred.

That said, I still stand by the idea that the criteria (to make the playoffs) is set and transparent and at the end of the season, those that deserve it (based on the criteria), make it.

duper
08-22-2013, 03:48 PM
I look at shootouts in the NHL like I do fighting:

I don't need them. I don't realize that they're absent when they don't happen. I don't take a whole lot of enjoyment from them while they're happening. (uh-oh, on a tee ;))

All that said, when my team is involved in either, I want them to win.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with a tie. Oh well. The powers that be want to make sure that we're all sufficiently entertained. :rolleyes:

The only college shootout I've witnessed was the "championship" game of UW's holiday tourney a few years back and it went like 10 rounds without a goal. B-O-R-I-N-G.

One last thing on shootouts - I absolutely hate them in any playoff game. That a gold medal can be awarded based on a shootout winner is beyond stupid. There's not much more exciting and gut wrenching than an elimination hockey game that goes to OT.I think this year's Stanley Cup Finals was a good demonstration of that.

ericredaxe
08-22-2013, 04:04 PM
I agree they are a gimmick. I still think they are fun to watch. I don't think they have taken anything away from the NHL game.

cross cheque
08-22-2013, 04:08 PM
The only thing more worthless than shootouts in college hockey are threads started by arseorojo. :cool:

Osorojo
08-22-2013, 05:12 PM
The only thing more worthless than shootouts in college hockey are threads started by arseorojo. :cool:

Please do not respond to any thread I might post. Doing so would make you even more worthless than the thread, don't you know?

Biddco
08-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Those years are going to be returning, me boy. You'll be high fiving the person next to you for years to come at AmSoil when that five minute OT ends. That is if there actually is anyone next to you in the ghost town that will be AmSoil Arena. You'll probably have to run across to the press box and high five Ciskie.Now that is just not true. Runningwiththedogs and Mr. Runwiththedogs will be sitting right next to me! So there will be a few people in attendance.

cross cheque
08-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Please do not respond to any thread I might post. Doing so would make you even more worthless than the thread, don't you know?

Yawn, stretch.

goldy_331
08-23-2013, 02:52 PM

Clearly incorrect. It is impossible to make a thread more useless after you start it.

Pink Pony
08-25-2013, 09:10 PM
That is if there actually is anyone next to you in the ghost town that will be AmSoil Arena. You'll probably have to run across to the press box and high five Ciskie.

I will be the only other guy left in the AmSoil Arena kissing my sister after it is tied after OT

giwan
08-25-2013, 10:58 PM
I will be the only other guy left in the AmSoil Arena kissing my sister after it is tied after OT

As long as you do so in the obstructed view seats

Pink Pony
08-26-2013, 08:44 PM
As long as you do so in the obstructed view seats

Yes I have those seats and my sister hates ties.