PDA

View Full Version : NCHC to use shootouts in conference games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

SanTropez
08-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I have closely followed college hockey for 55 years .

You are old...neat.

Osorojo
08-21-2013, 12:12 PM
You are old...neat.

You can read . . . neat.

Tipsy McStagger
08-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Stop the potty talk and grow up. I have closely followed college hockey for 55 years as best my location and finances would allow. And you? Perhaps you were unable to discern the point of my previous post. You see there was sarcasm, not hatred involved.
Fact: The most talented hockey players in the world in the most widely viewed and profitable hockey leagues and venues (NHL, AHL, Olympics, Major Junior) in the world play by different rules than current U.S. college hockey rules.
You bad-mouth adopting a rule followed by world's most talented hockey players competing in the world's toughest leagues, apparently because you believe your incomparable credentials as a hockey fan/expert nullifies the accepted practices of the most talented players and the most attended, most successful leagues in the world. Climb down off your ego and grow up.
Was the NHL more popular before or after they started using shootouts? Ya know, because the NHL is so well attended and successful.

Jimjamesak
08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
You can read . . . neat.
http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw8785-NOPE.gif

Dirty
08-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Stop the potty talk and grow up. I have closely followed college hockey for 55 years as best my location and finances would allow. And you? Perhaps you were unable to discern the point of my previous post. You see there was sarcasm, not hatred involved.
Fact: The most talented hockey players in the world in the most widely viewed and profitable hockey leagues and venues (NHL, AHL, Olympics, Major Junior) in the world play by different rules than current U.S. college hockey rules.
You bad-mouth adopting a rule followed by world's most talented hockey players competing in the world's toughest leagues, apparently because you believe your incomparable credentials as a hockey fan/expert nullifies the accepted practices of the most talented players and the most attended, most successful leagues in the world. Climb down off your ego and grow up.

I have not expressed my opinion on shootouts. You are projecting and assuming that I am opposed to shootouts. Why are you projecting?

But speaking of climbing down off your ego, you constantly bring a pompous and pointless attitude towards this board where you seem to go out of your way to disparage college hockey. For being such an avid follower, you certainly rarely have much positive to say about it. Just because some people don't like shootouts, you bring it upon yourself to be your usual smug self and look down upon them. As if you having watched hockey for 55 years grants you this all-knowing outlook where you are always correct.

FreshFish
08-21-2013, 01:07 PM
http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw8785-NOPE.gif

Osorojo is pulling his typical borderline-personality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder) crahp and those who don't know him already are being sucked in by his dysfunction....:rolleyes:

Though the Wikipedia article fails to include a description of how someone with this disorder tends to stir up controversy among other people while remaining unaffected themselves. That's often a useful diagnostic, actually, for practitioners: if you feel yourself becoming unreasonably annoyed with someone, odds are good that s/he has a borderline personality disorder.

Osorojo
08-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Was the NHL more popular before or after they started using shootouts? Ya know, because the NHL is so well attended and successful.

After. Check NHL attendance and revenue growth since shootouts were adopted. Shootouts may not have had a huge positive effect but they clearly did not destroy revenue or attendance. Lockouts did. Perhaps the majority of fans of world-class hockey do not share your aversion to shootouts. Just sayin'.

Dude Love
08-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Sure, if a basketball game is tied after the first overtime, we go to a free-throw shooting contest to settle it??

Or just don't play stupid basketball. That also works. :)

Jimjamesak
08-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Osorojo is pulling his typical borderline-personality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder) crahp and those who don't know him already are being sucked in by his dysfunction....:rolleyes:
Oh I know. Osorojo is Latin for "go look up appropriate pony images".

Osorojo
08-21-2013, 01:29 PM
I have not followed college hockey for 55 years in anticipation of its failure, despite your conclusion to the contrary. I enjoy hockey, from mites to pros, including DI college hockey. I would like to see college hockey better attended, but I will not judge the sophistication of newfound fans, as so many critics of shootouts have done[check previous posts]. I would like to see the popularity and quality of DI college hockey competition rise compared to other amateur, semi-pro, and professional leagues. Blustering and insults will not reconcile differences in rules differences between world-class and DI college hockey.

Dude Love
08-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Oh I know. Osorojo is Latin for "go look up appropriate pony images".

Also Algonquin for "please negrep me."

willythekid
08-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Who cares about shootouts? I just hope college hockey brings back glowing laser pucks...

uaafanblog
08-21-2013, 02:19 PM
100 plus years of history without faggy gimmicks to satiate the mob was fine. There is no compelling evidence for shoot outs to have changed anything other than a few morons post game experience lying to himself that his team won when in reality they tied.

Argumentum Ad Populism is a logical fallacy.

giwan
08-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Shootouts Do them or not, quite frankly makes no difference. No economic benefit and minimal entertainment benefit. Still nowhere near as exciting as say the final 1-2 minutes of a tied game or a game with a one goal difference if a good attack is mounted. Actually anti-climatic in comparison.

Tipsy McStagger
08-21-2013, 03:39 PM
I have not followed college hockey for 55 years in anticipation of its failure, despite your conclusion to the contrary. I enjoy hockey, from mites to pros, including DI college hockey. I would like to see college hockey better attended, but I will not judge the sophistication of newfound fans, as so many critics of shootouts have done[check previous posts]. I would like to see the popularity and quality of DI college hockey competition rise compared to other amateur, semi-pro, and professional leagues. Blustering and insults will not reconcile differences in rules differences between world-class and DI college hockey.
Hell, they don't even reconcile rules differences between playoff hockey and regular season hockey. If shootouts are so fantastic, why not use them in the playoffs too?

4four4
08-21-2013, 07:46 PM
You are obviously just pulling these statements out of your ***, with no proof. I debunked your previous statement with a cursory look at last years standings. Stop digging and put away the shovel.

Why didn't you show me the other years?

LynahFan
08-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Here's my idea to attract more casual fans: have a shootout, but after each round of 5 shots, give the fans numbers to text to vote off one of the shooters on the losing team, repeat until one team has no skaters left. :D

Tipsy McStagger
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Why didn't you show me the other years?
Why do I have to show you the other years? YOU said YOU did the research. Post your research in this thread.

In all my research the same NHL playoff teams make the playoffs regardless winning or losing a shoot out.
I just said I looked at last year's standings. If you are going to tell me that I can't find another one, I will prove you wrong again. 2010-2011 the Kings were 46-30-6 with 98 points with a 10-2 record in shootouts. They made the playoffs. Dallas was 42-29-11 with 95 points with a 5-7 record in shootouts. They missed the playoffs. With ties, the Kings would be 36-34-12 with 84 points and the Stars would be 37-33-12 with 86 points.

Historically speaking the right teams make the playoffs.
I still can't figure out what this means.

4four4
08-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Why do I have to show you the other years? YOU said YOU did the research. Post your research in this thread.

I just said I looked at last year's standings. If you are going to tell me that I can't find another one, I will prove you wrong again. 2010-2011 the Kings were 46-30-6 with 98 points with a 10-2 record in shootouts. They made the playoffs. Dallas was 42-29-11 with 95 points with a 5-7 record in shootouts. They missed the playoffs. With ties, the Kings would be 36-34-12 with 84 points and the Stars would be 37-33-12 with 86 points.

I still can't figure out what this means.
I did my research after the third season I found only one team getting screwed and that was the Avs. I will admit I have not looked at it the standing the last few years. Sure, you are correct but the best teams make the playoffs. If any team on the bubble doesn't make it because of not winning enough shoot outs probably doesn't deserve to be there. In conclusion I am a traditionalist and nor do I believe shoot outs will hurt a teams NCAA chances. Plain and simple they are for the new fans and not for fans like me.

cross cheque
08-22-2013, 09:55 AM
100 plus years of history without faggy gimmicks to satiate the mob was fine. There is no compelling evidence for shoot outs to have changed anything other than a few morons post game experience lying to himself that his team won when in reality they tied.

Argumentum Ad Populism is a logical fallacy.

Boom! Y'all got lawyered!