• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC to use shootouts in conference games

The CCHA did this too

Comment

Originally posted by JLSinGJ View Post
      One thing I have not seen brought up here is what I foresee as an unintended consequence that will have a negative effect on many NCHC hockey games. (Maybe some CCHA fans can weigh in on this as they have been through this already.)

To avoid this issue, the league could award three points to the team that wins a normal, non-shootout match. Then the final five minutes of the third period, and the overtime, would feature some great attacking hockey as teams vie for all three points.
      The points system will work like the one you proposed. 3 points for regulation or OT win. 2 points for shootout win, 1 point for shootout loss, 0 points for regulation or OT loss.

Maybe that's why your negative effect hasn't been brought up here?

Comment

There really is only one form of protest that MIGHT register, which is to weigh in your thoughts on the shootout with people who might have the power to do something. Try contacting the NCHC management, and the coaching staff and athletic director of your school. It may do nothing, but if enough people gripe to the school, they may complain to the league. If enough people, both fans AND school administrators, complain to the league, they may consider making a change.

It's hard to imagine walking out having any effect. MAYBE, if EVERYONE walks out on a regular basis, players and coaches will complain to the league, but your ticket is already paid for, so the league, frankly, probably doesn't care if a few dozen people walk out. They probably wouldn't even register it as a protest. They would probably just figure you're not an actual fan and want to beat traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
          The CCHA did this too
          *****http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw2938-13294954492947.jpg******
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
            B1G has already said they will use shootouts

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/b1g-use-...igns-echl-team
            Why not the WCHA?

They can't afford to play late because of snow storms.

Comment

I'll be in the minority here... But I think the shoot outs are fun to watch. I enjoy them in the NHL and I don't see that there has been a negative impact on the rest of the game.

That being said I don't know what the best way to work the points system is. I think when hockey east tried this several years ago they did something like 5 points for a win, two for a tie then an extra point for winning the shoot out... That way all games were worth 5 points.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY3tEioB4BI
                Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
                  I'm guessing they're laughing at the bird-brain who can't insert a video clip properly onto this site.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    I'll be in the minority here... But I think the shoot outs are fun to watch. I enjoy them in the NHL and I don't see that there has been a negative impact on the rest of the game.

That being said I don't know what the best way to work the points system is. I think when hockey east tried this several years ago they did something like 5 points for a win, two for a tie then an extra point for winning the shoot out... That way all games were worth 5 points.
                    You're not alone. I was shocked to see that people were supportive. Sure it was on a Facebook fan page but that still counts.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      Trolling.
                      Now statements of fact are "trolling" - if you don't like the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        You're not alone. I was shocked to see that people were supportive. Sure it was on a Facebook fan page but that still counts.
                        Maybe we don't understand the shootout support because we're just getting old. Sure, the shootout hasn't been around that long compared to some of our ages, but if you're a kid just entering college, the NHL has been using a shootout for half your life, the USHL for longer than that. My daughter grew up watching USHL and NHL games, and saw her first college tie last year during her freshman year. I thought it was a great game, but as we were leaving, she said, "Well, that was unsatisfying." I still don't like it, but the longer it stays around at other levels, the more acceptance there will be. I think it's an inevitability in the college game within 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          Maybe we don't understand the shootout support because we're just getting old. Sure, the shootout hasn't been around that long compared to some of our ages, but if you're a kid just entering college, the NHL has been using a shootout for half your life, the USHL for longer than that. My daughter grew up watching USHL and NHL games, and saw her first college tie last year during her freshman year. I thought it was a great game, but as we were leaving, she said, "Well, that was unsatisfying." I still don't like it, but the longer it stays around at other levels, the more acceptance there will be. I think it's an inevitability in the college game within 10 years.
                          I think MLS shows shoot outs aren't inevitable...

IMO, its always been about trying to appeal to a segment that can't accept ties and need finality. However you end up doing it in a way that doesn't represent the game itself. Further that you need to reach to a gimmick sort of implies that you need ties to get to the gimmick.

College football went nearly 120 years with ties before it suddenly became un-American... Which is quite silly for what evolved in about 60 years to a fully American sport.

Its always been an attempt to appeal to a segment who weren't going to like the sport in the first place.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

The NHL has shootouts. The NHL's overall profitability and attendance has grown despite or perhaps because of shootouts. These are facts, not trolling. It may be that hockey and financial professionals of the NCHC have noticed the NHL's apparent success with the shootout rules and have decided to emulate NHL policy. That's reasonable speculation, not trolling. It may be that professional and NCHC hockey league administrators' analysis of the benefits of shootouts is superior to the opinions of random hockey fans. That's reasonable speculation, although some may take offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                              The NHL has shootouts. The NHL's overall profitability and attendance has grown despite or perhaps because of shootouts. These are facts, not trolling. It may be that hockey and financial professionals of the NCHC have noticed the NHL's apparent success with the shootout rules and have decided to emulate NHL policy. That's reasonable speculation, not trolling. It may be that professional and NCHC hockey league administrators' analysis of the benefits of shootouts is superior to the opinions of random hockey fans. That's reasonable speculation, although some may take offense.
                              How do you correlate shoot shootouts to profitability and attendance? Think of it this way, shootouts I believe are fairly rare but they would have such a large succes? NFL does not offer a shootout, they allow a tie. Popular soccer does not offer a shootout unless it is a game meant to move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                                How do you correlate shoot shootouts to profitability and attendance? Think of it this way, shootouts I believe are fairly rare but they would have such a large succes? NFL does not offer a shootout, they allow a tie. Popular soccer does not offer a shootout unless it is a game meant to move forward.
                                I was responding to previous posts in this thread which predicted shootouts would decrease attendance/revenue at NCHC games, and a post which suggested a walkout/boycott of NCHC playoff games. The NHL has more fans and more rabid fans than the NCHC is likely to have and the NHL's attendance and marketing success appears undiminished by playoff games.

Comment

Working...
                                X