PDA

View Full Version : NCHC to use shootouts in conference games

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

ExileOnDaytonStreet
08-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Stupid.

The only thing we can do to stop it is leave games before the shootout starts.

cross cheque
08-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Stupid.

http://fabtips.co.uk/blog-images/tumblr_mf2g15A3BO1qddomx.gif

Patman
08-16-2013, 01:51 PM
I'd say more like getting players mentally prepared for everything at the next level, including shoot outs. Plus they'll be practicing them more which will develop their skill set on that part of the game.

Does anyone know if the CHL has shootouts?

Does anybody know if teams actually focus on the shootout as a thing or is it just a normal "funtime" practice routine.

alfablue
08-16-2013, 01:57 PM
From a former CCHA fan... Sorry- didn't mean it, but the accident happened. And then kept happening as if people really liked it. Mostly it was just painful like the accident of getting your wrist cut open via a thousands paper cuts.

(PLEASE don't do this in the B1G!!! Ties are fine. Just fine)

JLSinGJ
08-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Stupid.

Back in the 70`s/80`s when the IHL had shootouts, I used to get up and leave after the actual hockey game ended. I didn`t see many people following me, so I doubt there could be a significant movement started to get people to walk out. The benefit for me was that I got a head start out of the parking lot, which was good since I had a fifty mile drive home.

JLSinGJ
08-16-2013, 02:18 PM
One thing I have not seen brought up here is what I foresee as an unintended consequence that will have a negative effect on many NCHC hockey games. (Maybe some CCHA fans can weigh in on this as they have been through this already.)

As a game enters the last minutes of the third period, with the score tied, both teams will have a disincentive to push hard for the game winner. Why take chances by attacking hard? Getting to the shootout guarantees a point, with a 50% chance of gaining a second point. Taking risks in the attacking zone can result in a breakout by the opponents, and a late goal for them, and then you are left with zero points. The five overtime minutes could be even worse (i.e. boring conservative play by both sides).

To avoid this issue, the league could award three points to the team that wins a normal, non-shootout match. Then the final five minutes of the third period, and the overtime, would feature some great attacking hockey as teams vie for all three points.

First Time, Long Time
08-16-2013, 02:21 PM
From a former CCHA fan... Sorry- didn't mean it, but the accident happened. And then kept happening as if people really liked it. Mostly it was just painful like the accident of getting your wrist cut open via a thousands paper cuts.

(PLEASE don't do this in the B1G!!! Ties are fine. Just fine)

B1G has already said they will use shootouts

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/b1g-use-shootouts-huge-m-non-conference-slate-2013-14-sparks-signs-echl-team

alfablue
08-16-2013, 02:26 PM

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/b1g-use-shootouts-huge-m-non-conference-slate-2013-14-sparks-signs-echl-team

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, well. I hope I don't have to see any.

Tipsy McStagger
08-18-2013, 04:16 AM
When did ties become so horrible?
Sometimes teams are evenly matched on a given night.
It's ridiculous but the "fans" love it so it's likely here to stay.

No fans like it. It is a part of the never-ending pathetic attempt of the suits trying to persuade people who don't like hockey to watch. Maybe one day the decision makers will make decisions in the best interests of the loyal fans of the sport rather than using fighting, glowing pucks or skills competitions to draw in the people that watch 2.5 men. Probably not, though.

MCgrad07
08-18-2013, 06:36 AM
No fans like it. It is a part of the never-ending pathetic attempt of the suits trying to persuade people who don't like hockey to watch. Maybe one day the decision makers will make decisions in the best interests of the loyal fans of the sport rather than using fighting, glowing pucks or skills competitions to draw in the people that watch 2.5 men. Probably not, though.

I completely agree. After the lockout the NHL needed to get fans back and it got back like 5. College hockey does not need the shoot out because more fans are actually against it. I have been to many great games that end in a tie.

Pink Pony
08-18-2013, 09:04 AM
The CCHA did this too

cF[Authentic]
08-18-2013, 11:54 AM
One thing I have not seen brought up here is what I foresee as an unintended consequence that will have a negative effect on many NCHC hockey games. (Maybe some CCHA fans can weigh in on this as they have been through this already.)

To avoid this issue, the league could award three points to the team that wins a normal, non-shootout match. Then the final five minutes of the third period, and the overtime, would feature some great attacking hockey as teams vie for all three points.

The points system will work like the one you proposed. 3 points for regulation or OT win. 2 points for shootout win, 1 point for shootout loss, 0 points for regulation or OT loss.

Maybe that's why your negative effect hasn't been brought up here?

duper
08-18-2013, 12:19 PM
There really is only one form of protest that MIGHT register, which is to weigh in your thoughts on the shootout with people who might have the power to do something. Try contacting the NCHC management, and the coaching staff and athletic director of your school. It may do nothing, but if enough people gripe to the school, they may complain to the league. If enough people, both fans AND school administrators, complain to the league, they may consider making a change.

It's hard to imagine walking out having any effect. MAYBE, if EVERYONE walks out on a regular basis, players and coaches will complain to the league, but your ticket is already paid for, so the league, frankly, probably doesn't care if a few dozen people walk out. They probably wouldn't even register it as a protest. They would probably just figure you're not an actual fan and want to beat traffic.

Jimjamesak
08-18-2013, 12:56 PM
The CCHA did this too
http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw2938-13294954492947.jpg

Pink Pony
08-18-2013, 10:30 PM

Why not the WCHA?

They can't afford to play late because of snow storms.

ericredaxe
08-18-2013, 11:15 PM
I'll be in the minority here... But I think the shoot outs are fun to watch. I enjoy them in the NHL and I don't see that there has been a negative impact on the rest of the game.

That being said I don't know what the best way to work the points system is. I think when hockey east tried this several years ago they did something like 5 points for a win, two for a tie then an extra point for winning the shoot out... That way all games were worth 5 points.

PcFriars13
08-18-2013, 11:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY3tEioB4BI

willythekid
08-18-2013, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY3tEioB4BI

I'm guessing they're laughing at the bird-brain who can't insert a video clip properly onto this site.

Biddco
08-19-2013, 08:17 AM
I'll be in the minority here... But I think the shoot outs are fun to watch. I enjoy them in the NHL and I don't see that there has been a negative impact on the rest of the game.

That being said I don't know what the best way to work the points system is. I think when hockey east tried this several years ago they did something like 5 points for a win, two for a tie then an extra point for winning the shoot out... That way all games were worth 5 points.You're not alone. I was shocked to see that people were supportive. Sure it was on a Facebook fan page but that still counts.

Osorojo
08-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Trolling.

Now statements of fact are "trolling" - if you don't like the facts.