Head Coaches Hockey Salaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Coaches Hockey Salaries

This thread is for all women's head coaches. I will start though by inquiring about Shannon Miller at Minnesota-Duluth. I'm curious what her salary is now, as the last article I can find about her is listed below, and it mentioned that her contract expired in 2013. I haven't heard any news of her signing a contract extension, and if so, did she receive a raise?

http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com/201...ets-extension/

Re: Head Coaches Hockey Salaries

University of Minnesota:

"-- Women's hockey coach Brad Frost received a two-year extension through April 30, 2016. Frost's $125,000 salary this season will increase to $140,000 in 2013-14, $155,000 in 2014-15 and $170,000 in 2015-16. He also is guaranteed $10,000 a year for media obligations."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_2274285...xtensions-2012
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Who cares. What they make is their business, not ours...regardless of whether it is obtainble via a Google search.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
        Who cares. What they make is their business, not ours...regardless of whether it is obtainble via a Google search.
        That is true to an extent, but it is also untrue. I find what any individual coach is earning to be less of interest than what range exists for head coach salaries, and I believe it to be a fairly wide range. Some of the jobs don't pay that well, and that impacts the field of applicants when the job opens up. Then people criticize the hire without knowledge of what choices the employer had. It also speaks to how well funded the program is as a whole, and a tight budget can impact the assistants the program can attract, what it can spend on recruiting, facilities, travel, and all the other perks that are included or excluded for a varsity program.

This NY Times story by Pat Borzi mentions D-I salaries a year and a half ago:

When you work for a public institution, people have access to your salary; it goes with the territory.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          That is true to an extent, but it is also untrue. I find what any individual coach is earning to be less of interest than what range exists for head coach salaries, and I believe it to be a fairly wide range. Some of the jobs don't pay that well, and that impacts the field of applicants when the job opens up. Then people criticize the hire without knowledge of what choices the employer had. It also speaks to how well funded the program is as a whole, and a tight budget can impact the assistants the program can attract, what it can spend on recruiting, facilities, travel, and all the other perks that are included or excluded for a varsity program.

This NY Times story by Pat Borzi mentions D-I salaries a year and a half ago:

When you work for a public institution, people have access to your salary; it goes with the territory.
          Just had the salaries in todays Fargo Forum for the coaches at UND,NDSU,and MSU. Idalski for UND makes a cool $121,000.
          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
            Who cares. What they make is their business, not ours...
            I disagree when it comes to taxpayer-supported public entities, including state universities - and government officials. I can't speak for other states, but in Minnesota the compensation amounts of key personnel in the public sector is public information. In the case of private institutions, including private colleges that are not taxpayer funded, I agree that it is their business, not ours.

P.S. Compensation of key executives who run public corporations is also disclosed in their 10K reports. In that case stockholders and prospective investors can judge whether they believe such compensation is appropriate or excessive.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

OK, I'm ready for my second post. As a professor at Michigan State (with hockey girls), I have two opinions. First, and I in no way do I want to **** Hux off, but salaries are/should be public at state schools. (My students and administrators look them up every year.) As state school faculty we serve the state. Of course, private schools are just that--private--so it not our business. Second, a 100+K salary for coaching women's hockey should be more common. It grows the profession and the sport. We need more professional coaches and opportunities and coaching for peanuts will never attract the best and brightest. Izzo is a money-maker for MSU even at $3M, I hope we can soon say the same about more women's coaches earning 100K-200K.

Comment

OK, I'm ready for my second post. As a professor at Michigan State (with hockey girls), I have two opinions. First, and I in no way do I want to **** Hux off, but salaries are/should be public at state schools. (My students and administrators look them up every year.) As state school faculty we serve the state. Of course, private schools are just that--private--so it not our business. Second, a 100+K salary for coaching women's hockey should be more common. It grows the profession and the sport. We need more professional coaches and opportunities and coaching for peanuts will never attract the best and brightest. Izzo is a money-maker for MSU even at $3M, I hope we can soon say the same about more women's coaches earning 100K-200K.

Comment

Originally posted by jumbodaddy77 View Post
                  Izzo coaches a very high revenue sport for MSU that brings the school tens of millions of dollars worth of revenue and exposure and all his press is positive based on his success and the manner in which he runs his program. Worth every penny. Few women's sports coaches had/have a similar situation - even remotely. Pat Summit and Geno Auriemma are the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head. But these rare high salary women's sports coach exceptions came AFTER their success and national exposure, not before. When a women's hockey coach can generate sustained success AND high levels of national exposure, they will be similarly rewarded. That will not likely be soon - just the reality.

Comment

I get it, trust me. You're right of course. That said, we should be celebrating larger salaries for women's coaches. The more the better.

Comment

Working...
                    X