PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Illinois adding D1 hockey?

Pages : [1] 2

slowe
07-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Uh, don't really know what to make of this yet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/USCollegeHockey">@USCollegeHockey</a> we couldn't be more excited about the move. It was an honor to play in the ACHA but the time has come to join NCAA D1hockey</p>&mdash; EIU Hockey (@EIUHockey) <a href="https://twitter.com/EIUHockey/statuses/360582817962397696">July 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The CollegeHockey.info twitter account looks like a joke. Anything on their own I wouldn't put much stock in. However the reply is from the actual Eastern Illinois ACHA twitter account.

Summer prank or early announcement? Or master plan to trick stronger ACHA recruits to flock to their team in hopes of getting some time in the NCAA? Slow news day in the summer so at least worth posting. I'm sure if something more official comes along we'll hear about it.

Biddco
07-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Only time will tell...

FlagDUDE08
07-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Wait 'til they see the bill.

Patman
07-26-2013, 09:44 AM
This is a good thing. I've said we need more of the "character" schools in this game because that's what makes it interesting. The big lights might bring in the big bucks but that's never been why this is fun.

Nick Papagiorgio
07-26-2013, 09:49 AM
HE commish Joe Bertagna is very excited. Here comes ND's travel partner.

(kidding)

(sort of)

Spartanforlife4
07-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Talk about coming out of left field. This was from the bullpen.

If true, of course.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
07-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Long live the OVCHC!!!

slowe
07-26-2013, 10:31 AM
If true it is out of left field, but I can see it. I'm not that familiar with Eastern, but it is a smart play. University of Illinois and Northwestern obviously have a lot going for them. Northern Illinois has a strong football program. Illinois State doesn't stand out really, but is bigger than Eastern I think. Illinois has a lot of hockey players but no D1 school. It would be a good way to carve out a niche for themselves.

As for how it would work? Again, if serious, they would need to build an arena on campus. There isn't even a small ice rink there. The ACHA team uses David S. Palmer Arena in Danville, IL which is about half an hour away. It's an arena built in 1980 that houses 2,300. It's been home to an NAHL team and several small minor league hockey teams, currently the Danville Dashers in the FHL. That might be a temporary plan, but they would have to build an arena on campus to be competitive.

I assume the WCHA would take them in a heartbeat. Another team to minimize travel to Alaska AND it would beat out Bowling Green to be the new closest team to Huntsville by about 150 miles and two hours by bus. It's not right in the middle of the footprint but it's close enough. Probably not "like minded" enough for the NCHC.

I'd love to see it since Illinois needs a D1 program. But at this point it's an unofficial tweet that might be a joke. Illinois isn't that rich, Eastern isn't that big, and I'm not sure how many sugar daddies they have lined up. Worth watching but I'll wait for something more.

UAHStatman
07-26-2013, 10:52 AM
It's hard to take CollegeHockey.info seriously when they have no news on their web page outside of a College Hockey News widget.

LynahFan
07-26-2013, 11:04 AM
I didn't even know there was an "eastern" part of Illinois. Seems a bit like "northern Tennessee."

4four4
07-26-2013, 04:44 PM
If true Illinois isn't that rich, Eastern isn't that big, and I'm not sure how many sugar daddies they have lined up. Worth watching but I'll wait for something more.
Who is Jimmy John's Subs?

5mn_Major
07-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Looks like EIU is about a half hour south of Champaign.

aallenpollreisz
07-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Not even taking this information with a grain of salt. Collegehockey.info has worse credibility than the National Enquirer.

The University of Illinois is the most likely team to make the jump to D-I out of that state, and they're probably light years away at best.

MinnesotaNorthStar
07-26-2013, 05:13 PM
I didn't even know there was an "eastern" part of Illinois. Seems a bit like "northern Tennessee."Or <strike>northern</strike> <strike>southern</strike> <strike>eastern</strike> <strike>western</strike> anything Rhode Island...

RaceBoarder
07-26-2013, 09:02 PM
So is Tony Romo footing the bill for this?

EIU is totally off the reservation as far as "making the jump" goes... If true, there are a ton of questions... Not holding my breath though...

FadeToBlack&Gold
07-26-2013, 09:04 PM
I didn't even know there was an "eastern" part of Illinois. Seems a bit like "northern Tennessee."

http://board.uscho.com/images/icons/icon14.png

4four4
07-26-2013, 09:06 PM
https://twitter.com/EIUHockey

Well, they sound pretty sure they are joining the icebox. Now we wait.

Pink Pony
07-27-2013, 08:21 AM
I want to see a press release from the school.

4four4
07-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I want to see a press release from the school.
It's all rumors.

hockeyplayer1015
07-27-2013, 05:52 PM
The cloud keeps getting bigger. U of Illinois hockey just put on facebook that there is a big announcement coming tomorrow, specifically calling out Illini hockey fans.