Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the BCS schools leave the NCAA, where does it leave hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the BCS schools leave the NCAA, where does it leave hockey?

There are more rumblings about the BCS conferences leaving the NCAA to form their own division or whatever they want to call it. Reports say that the decision could come within 6 months. Besides the Big 10, this would affect BC and possibly Notre Dame. That's a lot of star power to be lured away. What do you think the defection of these schools would mean to NCAA hockey?
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Re: If the BCS schools leave the NCAA, where does it leave hockey?

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    There are more rumblings about the BCS conferences leaving the NCAA to form their own division or whatever they want to call it. Reports say that the decision could come within 6 months. Besides the Big 10, this would affect BC and possibly Notre Dame. That's a lot of star power to be lured away. What do you think the defection of these schools would mean to NCAA hockey?
    Back to a 12 team tournament? On the bright side you get to watch the B1G tournament and then The B1G tournament again only re-seeded for the National Championship.
    "My greatest achievement."
    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Good riddance. Can they take North Dakota and Denver too?
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        And. CC too

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          Then you might as well be D-3 hockey.
          "My greatest achievement."
          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

A mass of hicks clad in green throwing themselves into the Red River?

Comment

Not up on this 100% but it seems they would just leave the NCAA for football (or form their silly old Div. 4 for football only since they are apparently able to re-write all the rules) and it would have no impact on the other sports. I would think it best for them to stay in NCAA DI for the rest and they will certainly do what's bet for themselves.

So basically football becomes a high-revenue club sport at those schools and the rest carry on as normal??

Of course we would then have another group pondering the basketball equivalent.
              -M

Comment

Article?
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  Article?
                  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-12s...85--ncaaf.html

Comment

Another horse article... These things don't need to happen and they haven't been additionally imperiled by current patterns... Their situation is the best they've ever had it and regardless will continue to improve.

---

That being said, If they go club they go club, Title IX is still in place
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

There is plenty of incentive for college athletic conferences to leave the NCAA. Follow the money: According to NCAA.org the 14-year contract with Turner/CBS Sports will yield 10.8 billion dollars. Last year the NCAA had 871.6 million dollars in revenue, 81% of which came from TV [Turner/CBS] and marketing rights. A college athletic conference which broke with the NCAA would be free to negotiate its own, perhaps more lucrative TV and marketing contracts, and also pocket the percentage currently paid to the middleman - the NCAA.
                      Despite previous court decisions the various college athletic conferences are not obliged by law to be the indentured servants of the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                        There is plenty of incentive for college athletic conferences to leave the NCAA. Follow the money: According to NCAA.org the 14-year contract with Turner/CBS Sports will yield 10.8 billion dollars. Last year the NCAA had 871.6 million dollars in revenue, 81% of which came from TV [Turner/CBS] and marketing rights. A college athletic conference which broke with the NCAA would be free to negotiate its own, perhaps more lucrative TV and marketing contracts, and also pocket the percentage currently paid to the middleman - the NCAA.
                        Despite previous court decisions the various college athletic conferences are not obliged by law to be the indentured servants of the NCAA.
                        If you take the 64 programs that are powers / money rakers in foottball and basketball and they form the Network Athletic Union, you can bet that E$PN, Fox $ports, TB$, TNT, and NBC$N will throw stupid money at the NAU to get the big 2 sports and then be forced to cover the rest.

Hockey-wise
                        B1G (6)
                        BC, UConn, Miami (?)

So you'd look at 8 or 9 hockey schools. That's not enough, but IMO, the NCAA is not going to let sports stay in the NCAA if the schools pull the money rakers out of the NCAA. It will be an all or nothing approach.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          If you take the 64 programs that are powers / money rakers in foottball and basketball and they form the Network Athletic Union, you can bet that E$PN, Fox $ports, TB$, TNT, and NBC$N will throw stupid money at the NAU to get the big 2 sports and then be forced to cover the rest.

Hockey-wise
                          B1G (6)
                          BC, UConn, Miami (?)

So you'd look at 8 or 9 hockey schools. That's not enough, but IMO, the NCAA is not going to let sports stay in the NCAA if the schools pull the money rakers out of the NCAA. It will be an all or nothing approach.
                          Maybe if this was 1973.

Comment

They aren't going anywhere. This is more posturing by the big guys to force the little guys to do what they want them to do. Same old song and dance.

The likely outcome will be another level of football, or a reduction from the top level to join with the FCS. I think ALL other sports remain as they are; especially basketball. In BBall it is in everyone's best interest to keep the NCAA tourney the way it is, cinderella teams attract viewers as do the titans of the sport; it is a win win for all involved there.

Comment

Then why wouldn't Cinderellas attract attention in football?
                              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                              X