PDA

View Full Version : If the BCS schools leave the NCAA, where does it leave hockey?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

camilo
08-01-2013, 11:46 AM
[deleted] - I see I wrote pretty much exactly what CLS wrote in #33 above. Read it again for my opinion! NCAA "attention" has nothing to do with the success/popularity/money in college hockey. That's an absurd notion.

Osorojo
08-02-2013, 08:18 AM
[deleted] - I see I wrote pretty much exactly what CLS wrote in #33 above. Read it again for my opinion! NCAA "attention" has nothing to do with the success/popularity/money in college hockey. That's an absurd notion.

If I understand you correctly all time and money spent organizing and promoting college hockey is wasted.

CLS
08-02-2013, 04:05 PM
If I understand you correctly all time and money spent organizing and promoting college hockey is wasted.No, you didn’t understand the post correctly possibly because you can’t but more likely because your posts are intellectually dishonest. You implied that the reason that DI college hockey is thriving because the NCAA lavishes attention on these sports. In the style typical of your posts, you posed it as a question, but the implication is clear.

DI College football and basketball seem to be thriving more than wrestling, women's sports, DIII football, or DI college hockey. Could this possibly be due in part to the amount of attention and effort and attention the NCAA lavishes or does not lavish on these sports?
The more likely cause and effect relationship is closer to the reverse. The reason that the NCAA “lavishes” more attention on football and basketball is because they are vastly more popular. Do you really think that posing your points as questions fools anyone? Do you really think that your intentional or unintentional mischaracterization of other people’s statements to create straw men makes you look something other than intentionally misleading or foolish?

UMD21
08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Sounds like the article centers around football. My question is: if the top 75 schools (which isn't a small number...) win 90% of the championships, then what's the deal? Look at the schedules of top football programs--they're pretty strong. It's not like the programs have a gun to their head to play a bunch of small schools with horrible programs... Even though that is more the case in D1 hockey, it's hockey... there may be a lot of teams that really may not belong in D1 hockey, but I'd rather see that than a national championship out of a league of like a dozen... plus a lot of the top hockey schools AREN'T big D1 schools (BU, Denver, Maine, UND...). If it happens, I'm going to call out those schools and say they want to form D4 in hockey because they would rather keep believing they are the only schools that can win it all, rather than losing championships a lot to smaller schools. How many years has it been since a big BCS school won a national championship? It's been quite a long time, actually...

And seriously. Look at NCAA basketball. TONS of schools you've never heard of make the tourney, and that's what makes it better. The public loves upsets (except those people who put their whole lives into picking brackets), the only others who hate it are the schools who fall to schools that are 'inferior'. Yeah, everyone is so upset that there are schools like Gulf Coast State that make the bracket with the BIG BOYS... :confused:

I'm sure this guy Bowlsby has plenty of frustration with the NCAA and don't we all, but isolating schools from other schools of similar size, programs, success...just stupid. More frustrating than the NCAA and it really makes them look like

I had a theory that the Big Ten (and company) were going to leave the NCAA and start their own league apart from the NCAA, with TV contracts and all. TV programming would include both the sports, but reality television on the side about their off the court/ice/field lifestyles.
Think about it. Instead of dealing with sanctions from the NCAA, the new "league" would encourage players with plenty of women, booze, etc. all for entertainment on reality TV. I thought it sounded too *******ed to happen, but the more I hear stories like this and the Big 10 forming with half the teams it actually has, I can't help but believe it could someday come true. And they would probably promote fighting in hockey.
:eek:

I've lost all faith in humanity

UMD21
08-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Bottom line--this isn't going to happen, and it's not going to effect hockey. Not now, not ever.

UncleRay
08-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Sounds like the article centers around football. My question is: if the top 75 schools (which isn't a small number...) win 90% of the championships, then what's the deal? Look at the schedules of top football programs--they're pretty strong. It's not like the programs have a gun to their head to play a bunch of small schools with horrible programs... Even though that is more the case in D1 hockey, it's hockey... there may be a lot of teams that really may not belong in D1 hockey, but I'd rather see that than a national championship out of a league of like a dozen... plus a lot of the top hockey schools AREN'T big D1 schools (BU, Denver, Maine, UND...). If it happens, I'm going to call out those schools and say they want to form D4 in hockey because they would rather keep believing they are the only schools that can win it all, rather than losing championships a lot to smaller schools. How many years has it been since a big BCS school won a national championship? It's been quite a long time, actually... Please tell me you aren't asking when the last time a BCS school won the hockey championship. Please. 'Cuz we'd have to go all the way back to 2012 to find one. And way back to 2010 before that. Then you'd have to go to the ancient history of 2008, 2007, and 2006. And then to 2003, 2002, and 2001 before that. Eight of the last thirteen. Please tell me I misunderstood your point.

ccgrad
09-03-2013, 07:08 PM
And. CC too It is all about money! The tradition of college hockey would be forgotten, which if it is about money, doesn't mean anything anyway. Remember the 3 schools you're talking about were a big part of the start of this sport at the college level. And the first NCAA hockey finals were at the Broadmoor Hotel in CS, home of CC.