Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the BCS schools leave the NCAA, where does it leave hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If the BCS schools leave the NCAA, where does it leave hockey?

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
    They aren't going anywhere. This is more posturing by the big guys to force the little guys to do what they want them to do. Same old song and dance.

The likely outcome will be another level of football, or a reduction from the top level to join with the FCS. I think ALL other sports remain as they are; especially basketball. In BBall it is in everyone's best interest to keep the NCAA tourney the way it is, cinderella teams attract viewers as do the titans of the sport; it is a win win for all involved there.
    I guess the point is that the smaller D1 schools won't stand up to the big conferences...because they want the publicity that the big schools have in spades. As a result, there will probably be an ongoing shift of benefits to the big 5 conferences.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Lots of smoke here...meh. Discussion -> concessions -> big busine$$ as usual. Why the thread title when no one is even close to talking about leaving the NCAA?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
        Then why wouldn't Cinderellas attract attention in football?
        Because they just assign bowl games, and the media arbitrarily picks one as the national championship. You'd only see Cinderellas in the FCS format.

Comment

The 2014 ECAC hockey championship games will be broadcast by Fox news. Welcome news after the long lack of coverage by the CBS/Turner/NCAA cabal. Diversity and competition does have advantages over monopoly, but after last year's playoffs I'll miss all the hidebound critics of the "EZAC."

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
            The 2014 ECAC hockey championship games will be broadcast by Fox news. Welcome news after the long lack of coverage by the CBS/Turner/NCAA cabal. Diversity and competition does have advantages over monopoly, but after last year's playoffs I'll miss all the hidebound critics of the "EZAC."
            First off, it's not Fox Snooze, it's FSC Atlantic. Second, they did this last year. Third, I'd put money on at least one person being a critic of the EZAC.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              First off, it's not Fox Snooze, it's FSC Atlantic. Second, they did this last year. Third, I'd put money on at least one person being a critic of the EZAC.
              Start thinking of how you are gonna spend that money
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                The definition of "hidebound" makes your bet a sure (but sad) thing. Check it out.

Comment

In this NAU we've dreamt up, who are Alabama et al going to invite for four games a year to beat up and rack up statistics? This arrangement lacks the sacrificial lambs. The BCS as it is currently aligned works perfectly for the big schools. Five power conferences get to kick the stuffing out of the four smaller conferences four times a year so they have a nice preseason before the conference games start. Get rid of the lambs and the wolves will have to dine on each other, and half of them are going to lose...they can't have that.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    In this NAU we've dreamt up, who are Alabama et al going to invite for four games a year to beat up and rack up statistics? This arrangement lacks the sacrificial lambs. The BCS as it is currently aligned works perfectly for the big schools. Five power conferences get to kick the stuffing out of the four smaller conferences four times a year so they have a nice preseason before the conference games start. Get rid of the lambs and the wolves will have to dine on each other, and half of them are going to lose...they can't have that.
                    This makes a lot of sense.
                    "My greatest achievement."
                    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

they're so overloaded on hubris right now I expect EXACTLY that
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Check out this story from the Indianapolis Star.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...s-rules-policy
                        "I find that the most trouble encountered with quotes on the internet is figuring out their authenticity"
                        -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Get rid of the lambs and the wolves will have to dine on each other, and half of them are going to lose...they can't have that.
                          Look, we've already had the NCHC discussion. Let it go.

Oh wait, different topic, same conclusions.

Comment

The NCAA rules DI hockey, period. How high a priority for the NCAA is the success of college hockey? Look at these facts and take a guess:

The University of Florida just gave head football coach Muschamp a $250K raise, putting his annual salary at $2,928,971 per season, the SEVENTH highest paid coach in the SEC, behind $5.47M, $3.8M, $3.3M, $3.2M, $3.2M, & $3.1M - and this is only one of many DI football conferences. How many DI hockey programs have a yearly budget as large as any one of these coach's yearly salary? How important is college hockey to the NCAA?

"So what?" you say. So might college hockey find or form a governing body which would better represent the best interests of college hockey, or will the NCAA always provide the best of all possible leadership for college hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                              The NCAA rules DI hockey, period. How high a priority for the NCAA is the success of college hockey? Look at these facts and take a guess:

The University of Florida just gave head football coach Muschamp a $250K raise, putting his annual salary at $2,928,971 per season, the SEVENTH highest paid coach in the SEC, behind $5.47M, $3.8M, $3.3M, $3.2M, $3.2M, & $3.1M - and this is only one of many DI football conferences. How many DI hockey programs have a yearly budget as large as any one of these coach's yearly salary? How important is college hockey to the NCAA?

"So what?" you say. So might college hockey find or form a governing body which would better represent the best interests of college hockey, or will the NCAA always provide the best of all possible leadership for college hockey?
                              Complete non sequitur. Are the salaries of coaches in lacrosse, wrestling, bowling, DII and DIII football, pretty much all women's sports, or any other NCAA sport besides men's basketball more like college hockey or college football? The facts you cite present a better case for DI football to leave the NCAA, not for college hockey to leave the NCAA. That's what's actually being discussed, not what you suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                                Complete non sequitur. Are the salaries of coaches in lacrosse, wrestling, bowling, DII and DIII football, pretty much all women's sports, or any other NCAA sport besides men's basketball more like college hockey or college football? The facts you cite present a better case for DI football to leave the NCAA, not for college hockey to leave the NCAA. That's what's actually being discussed, not what you suggest.
                                DI College football and basketball seem to be thriving more than wrestling, women's sports, DIII football, or DI college hockey. Could this possibly be due in part to the amount of attention and effort and attention the NCAA lavishes or does not lavish on these sports? The NCAA is not foreordained to forever be the best of all possible governing bodies for DI college hockey, unless someone can provide evidence to the contrary. I would welcome any such evidence as a real contribution to what's being discussed. Until then I will maintain that college hockey could be better and more profitably governed.
                                Last edited by Osorojo; 07-27-2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X