Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
    Does anyone know why Gruehl isn't coming back?
    I'm sure that there are people who have heard, and I'm equally sure that those people are unwilling to say what they know.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Different topic, and maybe it's one that I raised. Still, a simple question:

Did you think that we'd survive independence?

I did not. Even when the WCHA had an odd number of teams, I didn't think that we'd get in the league.

There, if I haven't said that before, it's now off of my chest. If I have, I'm just forgetful.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

At the 2012 Frozen Four in Tampa I wore my UAH jersey, and I probably got about 80 comments on it, with 60 of them saying sorry for the program to fold (it was saved, for the time being, by that time) so I had to educate 60 people. About 10 out of the 20 and another 10 of the 60 I had more in depth conversations, mainly about the economics of NCAA Division I hockey. I think at that time I decided that I was confident enough for the team to pull through.

I still live in Colorado, and quit traveling to Huntsville on business, so I dropped my season tickets, but I sure hope my support (as little as I could give) did a little something to help save the program. I do know there are those who frequent these UAH threads helped a lot more, and I thank you.

-John <---- wants a 2013-2014 UAH game worn jersey after the season.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          We almost didn't.

If Portera's axe would have fallen, there wouldn't even be the club hockey he promised today.
          UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
          2006 Time Person of the Year
          Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
          It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
            We almost didn't.

If Portera's axe would have fallen, there wouldn't even be the club hockey he promised today.
            Well, yes. But I didn't think that we would before that happened. I thought that the BTHC shakeout would make for openings, and we'd be turned down for all of them.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

I did not. Even when the WCHA had an odd number of teams, I didn't think that we'd get in the league.

There, if I haven't said that before, it's now off of my chest. If I have, I'm just forgetful.

GFM
              Credit needs to be given to the man with a keen mind (good at math, logic, & $) and insomnia (at least with respect to the UAH hockey problem) who developed the final solution. If Bob Altenkirch's basic solution (a set of equations) hasn't been reported, it would be nice if someone would interview him to get the details. He deserves a ton of credit. However, I'd still be skeptical of our ability to sustain the program if it wasn't for what he was able to do in Newark. http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/12/...ackground.html

Comment

GFM
                I did until Mr. Harris died, didn't before Dr. Altenkirch took over, and then back-and-forth until January 17, 2013.
                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
                  Credit needs to be given to the man with a keen mind (good at math, logic, & $) and insomnia (at least with respect to the UAH hockey problem) who developed the final solution. If Bob Altenkirch's basic solution (a set of equations) hasn't been reported, it would be nice if someone would interview him to get the details. He deserves a ton of credit. However, I'd still be skeptical of our ability to sustain the program if it wasn't for what he was able to do in Newark. http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/12/...ackground.html
                  There were equations? I mean, that doesn't really surprise me, but it's news to me.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

GFM
                    Without a conference affiliation, the chances would be slim. Although you are a lot closer than me GFM, I doubt the program would have lasted beyond two more years as an independent. A big tip of the cap to Altenkirch, Brophy, Kleinendorst the boosters and the donors who stepped up to make it happen.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony
                      They would have been clubbing it.
                      UAH club ice hockey would not have lasted a full season. Else we would already have UAH club hockey.
                      UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                      2006 Time Person of the Year
                      Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                      It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                        UAH club ice hockey would not have lasted a full season. Else we would already have UAH club hockey.
                        That would make a good thread. How many schools with D-1 programs also have a club team and do any of them regularly try to coordinate their games with the D1 games (either before or after)? Miami's club team was a regular UAH opponent during the club years.

Comment

So let's talk about the team a bit, specifically captains. We lose deBruyn (C), Cseter (A), and Geoffrion (A). Kleinendorst talked about naming up to four captains, but those are the guys that I saw.

Seniors: Geoffrion, Allan, Hagen, Groh. CJ's a goalie, and Hags doesn't play very often, so it's Brice and Alex. I get the sense that they're both widely respected by their teammates. I could see them as co-captains. I'm pretty sure that they'll be wearing letters.

Juniors: Pierce, Reid, Reinhardt, Strukoff, Vanderlugt, Webley. I am strongly biased to Craig (and Kyle, whom I hope will make it back to classes by spring semester). I know that Reinhardt was touted by previous coaches when he was recruited that he'd be a captain for us someday, much in the same way the Curtis and Ryan were before him. We have a bit of a run of junior defensemen as two-year captains, and if that holds true, it's Ben or Graeme.

[For those upperclassmen listed by USCHO that aren't here anymore: Tyler Kotlarz was injured and, I believe, moved back to Michigan. (He's about to get married to a girl I really like, and good on him.) We all know about Kyle. We also all unfortunately know about Lasse.]

Am I missing anything here?

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

So let's talk about the team a bit, specifically captains. We lose deBruyn (C), Cseter (A), and Geoffrion (A). Kleinendorst talked about naming up to four captains, but those are the guys that I saw.

Seniors: Geoffrion, Allan, Hagen, Groh. CJ's a goalie, and Hags doesn't play very often, so it's Brice and Alex. I get the sense that they're both widely respected by their teammates. I could see them as co-captains. I'm pretty sure that they'll be wearing letters.

Juniors: Pierce, Reid, Reinhardt, Strukoff, Vanderlugt, Webley. I am strongly biased to Craig (and Kyle, whom I hope will make it back to classes by spring semester). I know that Reinhardt was touted by previous coaches when he was recruited that he'd be a captain for us someday, much in the same way the Curtis and Ryan were before him. We have a bit of a run of junior defensemen as two-year captains, and if that holds true, it's Ben or Graeme.

[For those upperclassmen listed by USCHO that aren't here anymore: Tyler Kotlarz was injured and, I believe, moved back to Michigan. (He's about to get married to a girl I really like, and good on him.) We all know about Kyle. We also all unfortunately know about Lasse.]

Am I missing anything here?

GFM
                            No, I think you've got the upperclassmen covered. I'm also interested in who from the sophomores will rise.

D: White, Misuraca, Hickey, Koshey
                            F: Kendra, Brears, Prince

I find it interesting that the two leading scorers from the freshmen were defensemen: Koshey (2-5-7 in 16 games) and Misuraca (2-4-6 in 20 games).
                            Michael Napier - UAH '97
                            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Now that I think about it, didn't Alex have an A some of the time last year, like maybe on the road jerseys before the mid-season change?

I'm heading to the hockey office tomorrow and will see what I can pass on.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Now that I think about it, didn't Alex have an A some of the time last year, like maybe on the road jerseys before the mid-season change?

I'm heading to the hockey office tomorrow and will see what I can pass on.

GFM
                                Here's a pic of Alex with an A on his home jersey: http://uahhockey.com/blog/2012/10/14...-7-19-45-pm-1/
                                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X