PDA

View Full Version : UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

gfmorris
08-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Here's a pic of Alex with an A on his home jersey: http://uahhockey.com/blog/2012/10/14/take-a-look-uah-v-mankato-1012-132012/photo-oct-12-7-19-45-pm-1/

Sorry for forgetting, Alex!

I was at the hockey office today. Random bits:

Matt Thomas — not the UAA coach — will be the #2 assistant this year. He was recently the graduate assistant coach at (wait for it) Denver. Read a bit more about him from LetsGoDU: http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2011/06/du-adds-matt-thomas-to-hockey-coaching.html

The board has recruiting out for multiple years, which is something that we haven't seen for a while. The coaches have a full travel schedule to meet with players, and the hockey office will be quiet in September. (I offered to come and keep Timmy from being lonely.)

Guerriero is "a stud" that we lucked into getting.

Captain selections "will sort itself out." I got that in response to asking Corbett's take on captain selection.

As you have probably inferred, Coach is not in Huntsville today. He's working on closing things out, selling the house, and moving the family to Huntsville.

There was a cheerful air in there that I hadn't seen in a while.

GFM

vizoroo
08-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Did you think that we'd survive independence?
Have to admit I was willing to write the program's obit after the CCHA denied your membership app and then your interim-pres announced the team's demise.(couldn't believe that he did that)

Big kudos to the new full time pres and all the supporters. Finally the new WCHA does the right thing for UAH and college hockey in general. Alabama to Alaska may be a long haul, but Anchorage is prbably easier to get to than Houghton, Mi. Word to the wise, Tech is hard to beat during Winter Carnival.

beaverhockeyfan
08-07-2013, 10:23 AM
[SIZE=3 Finally the new WCHA does the right thing for UAH and college hockey in general. Alabama to Alaska may be a long haul, but Anchorage is prbably easier to get to than Houghton, Mi.

Oh yes, here we go again with this crap, it was up to the WCHA to do the right thing. What about the other two western leagues? What have they done recently that has been the right thing for college hockey in general? After all, they have fewer teams than the WCHA.

I am glad the UAH is in the league with BSU, but I am sick of this elitist crap.......

bigblue_dl
08-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Oh yes, here we go again with this crap, it was up to the WCHA to do the right thing. What about the other two western leagues? What have they done recently that has been the right thing for college hockey in general? After all, they have fewer teams than the WCHA.

I am glad the UAH is in the league with BSU, but I am sick of this elitist crap.......Yeah, I agree. I am especially sick of hearing this from d-bag fans from those other schools.

harry
08-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Do you guys scrimmage/exhibition the Alabama (Tuscaloosa) club team in preseason?
I thought that was recurring game on the schedule....

slowe
08-07-2013, 03:50 PM

I am glad the UAH is in the league with BSU, but I am sick of this elitist crap.......

Vizoroo didn't say that the WCHA was the only league and they alone had the obligation to do the right thing. He didn't say the WHCA was the rightful place for UAH. All the leagues should have done the right thing and found a spot for UAH. No one else did. The WCHA stepped up where others failed. His comment wasn't elitist, it was complimentary.

Discussed and rehashed, no need to go round and round again.

gfmorris
08-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Do you guys scrimmage/exhibition the Alabama (Tuscaloosa) club team in preseason?
I thought that was recurring game on the schedule....

We've played them three times, and as fangers noted, we only did it last year because we really needed the game so as to not go a month without playing (which we would have between PSU and UMD). I really don't see us playing those guys anytime soon, as much as their kids enjoy playing us and their coach loves having his kids there. We apparently run a bit of a clinic out there compared to the competition they see in ACHA (as one would expect).

Now if UAH playing club teams as home exhibition dates was a big draw at the box office, we'd probably do it. However, those games aren't attended all that well.

GFM

harry
08-08-2013, 02:55 PM
I agree that attendance would be a driving force for that exhibition, nothing else.
Thought it was a one shot deal or so.

gfmorris
08-08-2013, 04:34 PM
You obviously know very little about the University of Alabama. Unless Tennessee, Auburn, LSU and Florida are adding hockey too, you have a better chance of winning the Power Ball than of NCAA D-I hockey in Tuscaloosa. As a huge Tide fan looking forward to pre-gaming on the quad next month, I can assure you that Bama puts football heads and shoulders among everything else and that the UA system doesnt give a sniff to anyone else. The system chancellor tried to kill hockey at Huntsville and refuses to allow UAB to build a new football stadium close to campus instead of having to play at Legion Field. You won't be seeing an NCAA type rink in Tuscaloosa any time soo.

You assume that PP cares about the response. :) Anyone who thinks that any kind of SEC varsity hockey is happening is fooling themselves. The only program down here that I could see doing it is Tech.

GFM

davyd83
08-08-2013, 05:17 PM
You assume that PP cares about the response. :) Anyone who thinks that any kind of SEC varsity hockey is happening is fooling themselves. The only program down here that I could see doing it is Tech.

GFM

Gfm, you know I'm an SEC fan and truly believe SEC hockey could be very successful. Kentucky, SCarolina, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU and Auburn are all in markets that have had success in the game and no doubt would do even better with the colors and rivalries attached. But as much as I'd like to see it, ain't ever gonna happen.

slowe
08-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Southern hockey is a tough sell to say the least. Uneducated guesses on the best odds would be Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, or random ACC North Carolina school. Kentucky is closest geographically so no travel concerns. The rest are close to an NHL team and are somewhat near the college hockey footprint. Proven hockey fan base. A big plus that would definitely come in handy, but there are tons of hurdles.

Hammer
08-08-2013, 10:44 PM
You obviously know very little

You could have very easily stopped here.

gfmorris
08-09-2013, 12:22 AM
The topic of OTA carriage of hockey games came up tonight at the bar. Does anyone know if simulcast will be limited to Fox-owned/-branded stations? Obviously Bemidji has their thing with public TV, but I'm trying to figure out if we can get WHNT-DT2 to pick up our games.

GFM

tnlong
08-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Gfm, you know I'm an SEC fan and truly believe SEC hockey could be very successful. Kentucky, SCarolina, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU and Auburn are all in markets that have had success in the game and no doubt would do even better with the colors and rivalries attached. But as much as I'd like to see it, ain't ever gonna happen. http://www.ukhockey.com/posters.shtml

fairbanks hockey puck
08-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Really think the goal is for the WCHA is to offer video stream of all games and be able to offer apps...A possible game of the week down the line...
Some schools have their own tv rights stuff...keeping the costs down and in house to an extent. I guess money will dictate...what best for the league and it's members....Curious of quality of the cameras and the production of the webcasts..will it be good enough for TV??? as in regional or national broadcast quality....

4four4
08-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Can the WCHA utilize the Internet?
If so the league will be very successful..

I hope the tradition, and. rivals make the WCHA. Stronger then the bigger market teams with tv contracts.

In the west outside of the Big 10 I don't think there are many big television markets.

bigblue_dl
08-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Can the WCHA utilize the Internet?
If so the league will be very successful..

I hope the tradition, and. rivals make the WCHA. Stronger then the bigger market teams with tv contracts.I hope you eventually learn how to properly use a period.

gfmorris
08-12-2013, 06:11 PM
I hope that y'all will ignore him.

GFM

boblav1
08-16-2013, 10:54 AM
From twitter, a late recruit.

over the boards ‏@otbpuckwatch 1h alabama huntsville snags our #46 uncommitted 93 f regan soquila, a quick forward out of the bchl's merritt centennials

http://www.merrittcentennials.com/leagues/newsletter.cfm?clientID=3359&leagueID=8957&page=72029

http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/rosters_profile.cfm?clientID=1413&leagueID=2393&teamID=339745&playerID=689613

gfmorris
08-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Thank you, sir! You do like to watch those recruiting trails. :)

GFM