PDA

View Full Version : UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]

tnlong
05-02-2014, 10:10 AM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=709324

gfmorris
05-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Joey Marooney and Connor Wood were drafted by USHL teams today. We've had USHL alumni wear blue and white (Brandon Carlson is the most recent, and Max McHugh will follow in that tradition come October), but I can't remember that we've ever had commitments from kids before they went into the USHL draft. Congratulations go out to Gavin and Matty for pulling those guys in.

GFM

gfmorris
05-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Roberts Smits goes to Bloomington in the 6th round of today's Phase 2.

GFM

tnlong
05-30-2014, 02:15 AM
Cam goes to the Stanley Cup finals. I hope he gets good seats for his family; his dad deserves it. Madison Square Garden sure is a long way from the VBC. Cam's $513,000 salary is also a long way from Lundqvist's seven-year $59,500,000 contract. It was still cool to see him pose with the Rangers and the PoW Cup.

Douglas
05-30-2014, 09:43 AM
So proud of Talbie...

gfmorris
05-30-2014, 12:37 PM
If they win the Cup, I think that I'm going to have to get a TALBOT 33 jersey, and I'm going to hate myself for owning a Rangers jersey.

GFM

Alaska Hockey
05-30-2014, 02:37 PM
I will strenuously argue that Florida is not a Southern state, at least not south of Gainesville.

GFM
I'll listen to your side and you'll have to do some tall talking to convince me. My sleddogs liked the trip......see you Jan 2nd.

gfmorris
05-30-2014, 03:46 PM
I'll listen to your side and you'll have to do some tall talking to convince me. My sleddogs liked the trip......see you Jan 2nd.

Florida gets more liberal and has more Northern sensibilities the closer you get to the I-4 corridor. You don't really have rednecks south of I-4. Florida used to be the cattle capital of the Confederacy with Texas cut off after early 1863. It's just not "Southern" in the NASCAR/Southern Baptist/conservative sense. [I fit none of those appellations.]

GFM

GeoffissiffoeG
05-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Florida's last pockets of true redneckery end in the Orlando are where the local families that were there before Disney still exist. Other than that, like Geof said, there's not much present south of that.

gfmorris
06-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Austin Beaulieu (Rd 1, #11 overall) and Joey Marooney (Rd 11, #194 overall) were drafted in the NAHL draft today. I believe that everyone now has a home for next year.

GFM

Alaska Hockey
06-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Florida gets more liberal and has more Northern sensibilities the closer you get to the I-4 corridor. You don't really have rednecks south of I-4. Florida used to be the cattle capital of the Confederacy with Texas cut off after early 1863. It's just not "Southern" in the NASCAR/Southern Baptist/conservative sense. [I fit none of those appellations.]

GFM
"Northern sensibilities" I must be all that and more.

gfmorris
07-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Hey, y'all. Someone hold my beer.

GFM

bigblue_dl
07-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Hey, y'all. Someone hold my beer.

GFM
And watch this?

gfmorris
07-22-2014, 06:10 PM
And watch this?

Yep! ;)

It's quiet around here, and I'm getting spun up at my new NASA job, and I think that Michael is traveling a fair amount for work.

GFM

GetOutDaKitchin
07-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Saw that Roberts Smits made Bloomington's (USHL) 30 man protected roster likely indicating that he's made the team. Same with Joey Marooney in Sioux Falls. Sadly Connor Wood did not appear to make the cut in Omaha.
http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/assets/4739056/ushlprotectedjuly14.pdf

I know Rotenberger had signed a tender with Topeka (NAHL) and Wood with Amarillo, but that was when Dennis Williams was still the coach. Beaulieu was drafted in the 1st round of the NAHL draft, but that's all I know.

Does anyone else know where Cam Knight or Ivan Bondarenko are playing next year? Also, please let me know if there have been any changes to the guys listed above for next year. Got to follow the future Chargers!

gfmorris
08-06-2014, 07:00 AM
I keep watching for the final roster for 14-15 to pop up, but it hasn't yet.

Two alumni are going to be coaching NA3HL teams this year. I think that everyone knows that Craig Bushey has been instrumental in getting the Point Mallard team going over in Decatur. Nashville's coach took an assistant's job in the USHL, so Karlis Zirnis will now coach the Jr. Predators. I may have to go to NSH@PMD just so I can heckle Igor.

GFM

NorthernLite
08-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Yeah, if you look at all of those 15-16 commitments, they all need a year of junior A to get ready.

Kestner's stats are wonky in EP: he went 40-30—70 in the GOJHL this year in I think 56GP. He's not "just" a local kid.

GFM

I had the pleasure of watching Josh play his Jr. hockey in Sarnia. Small and wiry frame, but very elusive, with great stick skills, and toe drags that will leave you shaking your head in amazement.
He has an extra gear when he sees openings that most wouldn't consider an option.
Obviously D1 will be a huge change, but I think he has the speed to match up.
The big challenge for Josh will be his effectiveness in the defensive zone, and given UAH's profile I think he'll get more exposure to defending than he's been used to.

A real nice touch that he's a local kid that should draw interest support from the AH area for the next four years.
He is a crowd pleaser and you are in for a real treat.
Enjoy the ride !

gfmorris
08-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the perspective. I can't wait to see him in blue and white.

I got to talking with Marc Narduzzi today on Facebook, and he confirmed that he never saw the game-winning goal in 2OT against Notre Dame.

GFM

UAHStatman
08-20-2014, 09:39 PM
With the roster released, I'm moving on to the next season's thread:
http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?110503-UAH-Hockey-2014-15-The-30th-Varsity-Season

gfmorris
03-04-2016, 04:13 AM
So, people have asked about the "Alabama" or "Huntsville" thing. It surprises no one around here, but I HATE being called "Alabama". No one calls Nebraska-Omaha "Nebraska". No one calls UMass-Lowell "UMass" and not the least because both schools play D-I varsity hockey. This is on par with calling Northern or Tech "Michigan" in a sport where the Wolverines don't play but the Wildcats and/or Huskies do.

But the big thing for me is that "Alabama" is Nick Saban. "Alabama" is Bear Bryant. "Alabama" is Denny Chimes and the Frozen Tide and all that mess.

"Alabama" is also the group of *******s that opened a research office in Huntsville as if we don't have the state's finest non-medical research institution here. I mean, we're in the same ****ing system. *******s. [And yes, I know that a lot of this is getting ****ed out. I don't care.] They have that smug sense of self-superiority that comes with being an educational institution that was around before the Civil War. They're entrenched in state politics Don Siegelman was a UA SGA president.

The University of Alabama would be very happy if The University of Alabama in Huntsville did not exist. Despite our excellence in a number of things, we are the red-headed stepchildren of the system, and UA is very, very, very, very, very aware of the fact that UAB dominates the UASystem in all sorts of dollar amounts. UA takes that out in all sorts of ways. Bear Bryant Jr.'s son, who is on the Board of Trustees, single-handedly kept the UAB football team from getting a new stadium. They never wanted UAB to go D-I in athletics, and they'd probably fight anything of the sort here.

Hell, you can easily argue that some on the board pushed Portera to go, "What's the point?" on our beloved hockey team, resulting in the crippling blow that just about ended this program without any outside influence. They wanted to bring us back down to their level, and if they spent more than 10 seconds thinking about it, they'd know that the ruse of bringing us into D-3 and playing with/in the SECHC wasn't going to happen just like we'd never have been accepted into B1G.

UA are *******s, and I don't want jack-**** to do with them. I know that some of our people here are UA alumni, and I'm sorry, that doesn't change my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of Auburn, but I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE UAT. HATE.

For the record, I go shopping during the Iron Bowl and then go home and watch some NHL game.

GFM

Boy was I hot. I'm still hot anytime anyone calls us Alabama.

For next year: Saturday lunch meet-up / Friday night post-game drinks. Maybe. Embassy Suites? Klatsch? Amendment XXI? Yellowhammer or Salty Nut since they're close?

GFM