PDA

View Full Version : UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24

tnlong
03-28-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm tormented tonight looking through my archives (Doug Childs' discussion group?) where I told Doug Ross critics that they would probably one day fondly look back on a .500 D-1 record. ;-)

4 wins in 10-11
2 wins in 11-12
1 win in 12-13 (Division I, that is)
2 wins in 13-14

I want to see a hell of a lot more than 4 wins next year. I would be very happy with an eight-win season. I haven't seen the home schedule, but the teams we played twice this year will be the ones we play four times next year, save BG, who are our designated rival. (I think that everyone in the league sees the sense that swapping UAH-BG and BSU-MSU makes, but we live with what we got. LSSU got Ferris.)

Soooo ...

BG 4x: they're a tough team, but we beat them. Figure one win.

FSU 4x: we might pick them off at home, but no way we'll win in Big Rapids just yet 15-16 or 16-17, yeah! Anyway, figure one win.
LSSU 4x: new coach, figure we split.
Alaska 4x: they were hot at the end until they hit their rivals. I'd say that we stand a good shot of a home win, but you know that Westy will light a fire under them. He was not happy about not getting the job.
Tech 4x: Mel Pearson is going to be under pressure to win, but they retain a lot of firepower from a top-half team. Figure one win, hopefully at home. Pheonix Copley left early, so they'll be searching for an identity in net. They have talent there, though.

NMU 4x: the games in Marquette will be non-conference games. UAH played them decently well at home that's a 3-2 game without that terrible turnover by Reider. Figure on a win in there somewhere hopefully at home, because that will count in the league standings.

Anchorage 2x here in town: those were the first D-I points that we've picked up at home since 2011. Sigh. Anyhow, another year of development for the team probably sees us splitting or better.
Mankato 2x in MN: Dear Lord, send us good weather that weekend. Picking up points in Mankato would surprise me given their record this season. They lose Lehrke and McInnis, which are big losses to be sure, but they're going to be a **** good team next season with their speed, offensive skill, and goaltending. Stephon Williams could start for most everyone in the league, and Cole Huggins is flat-out amazing.
Bemidji 2x at the Sanford Center: beat 'em once up there, we can beat 'em again.

I haven't seen the full schedule. I'm surprised that the league schedule didn't get released at the Final 4ive. I've heard that ours is done, though. I am blanking on our NC foes. Maybe Michael remembers.

Anyhow, that would be ten wins, and I don't think that I'm being overly crazy in thinking that. Bemidji got ten league wins this year, so that would put us in the run for a playoff spot. I don't expect to make the playoffs next season, but this league likes to regress to the mean. The top two teams in the league are probably going to be the same next year, although I expect that Mankato will be better than Ferris. We're not going to be pulling wins from the top-half teams, but those bottom-half teams are beatable.

A year of conditioning on the freshmen, a shot in the arm of new scoring talent (looking at you, Kestner and McHugh), and a summer of R&R for Matt and Carmine. I like the puncher's chance we've got going. 15-16 is when we should be really good.

Believe in the Herd!

GFM

tnlong
03-28-2014, 12:11 AM
If so, one would have to question Starzynski's intelligence for trading walking around outside in flip-flops for much of the season and southern-belle "opportunities" for Fairbanks. ;-)

Tim O'Donnell of the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner tweeted just now that Starzynski may de-commit from UAH for the Nanooks. :( But I guess that it's nice that someone wants kids that de-commit from us.

GFM

gfmorris
03-28-2014, 12:13 AM
I'm tormented tonight looking through my archives (Doug Childs' discussion group?) where I told Doug Ross critics that they would probably one day fondly look back on a .500 D-1 record. ;-)

Ross was smart enough to see that UAH was going to go to hell without a stable league. Sure, he was pushed out the door, but I'm betting that he is happy that he got out when he did.

GFM

bigblue_dl
03-28-2014, 07:17 AM
hate? naa, we save all that for miami state.
so far, having a real hard time getting worked up against anybody in the WCHA. is that normal? lol. don't know why, but just not feeling it.

I thought it was Miami State of Ohio?

Bill
04-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Heisenberg is reporting that you have a goalie recruit for next season, Jordan Uhelski, from Muskegon of the USHL.

UAHStatman
04-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Heisenberg is reporting that you have a goalie recruit for next season, Jordan Uhelski, from Muskegon of the USHL.

Yep...got that third goalie:
http://www.muskegonlumberjacks.com/news_article/show/372314?referrer_id=877108

gfmorris
04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
I expect that we're done, especially given that Michael confirmed that Starzynski and Champagne are going to be Chargers and not Nanooks. It looks like that was a simple mistake.

The only way that we're not done is if someone leaves.

GFM

tnlong
04-03-2014, 03:54 PM
> On 4/3/2014 1:39 PM, Nick Laurila wrote:
>> This is just a reminder that the UAH Hockey Year End Banquet is tonight at the Baptist Student Center located at:
>> 450 Sparkman Dr.
>> Huntsville, Al 35805
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Nick Laurila
>> Director of Hockey Operations

On 4/3/2014 3:53 PM, T.N.Long wrote:
> Nick,
>
> I suggest that you re-send this with "LOCATION CHANGE!" in the subject line. This is more than a "reminder", and many may not open it. I have not seen notice of the "Baptist Student Center" location anywhere previously, and UAHHockey.com still has it published as being held at Spragins Hall.
>
> Terry

fangers
04-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Looks like the purge underway, before their dinner from banquet even fully digested.

aparch
04-05-2014, 02:26 PM
UAH: Good at destroying crap for no reason...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaamV8wa8z8

I've seen concrete cylinders that have withstood much less force in those machines. :eek: The break point of the puck seems to be closer to 20,000 lbs, not the 83k they stopped it at.

FadeToBlack&Gold
04-05-2014, 03:03 PM
I just realized that with 35 losses this year, I believe you guys set the new NCAA hockey record for losses in a single season, previously held by the 1999-2000 Michigan Tech Huskies and their record of 4-34-0. So, sorry and...congrats? ;)

gfmorris
04-05-2014, 06:01 PM
I just realized that with 35 losses this year, I believe you guys set the new NCAA hockey record for losses in a single season, previously held by the 1999-2000 Michigan Tech Huskies and their record of 4-34-0. So, sorry and...congrats? ;)

Trust me, we were watching that down the stretch.

GFM

LSSULaker889294
04-07-2014, 04:52 PM
I haven't seen the full schedule. I'm surprised that the league schedule didn't get released at the Final 4ive.

Maybe the conference will be released tomorrow (hopefully) when they will announce the new WCHA commissioner.

davyd83
04-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Maybe the conference will be released tomorrow (hopefully) when they will announce the new WCHA commissioner.I spoke with Doug Spencer from the league office last week. They did not have a firm date for a schedule release and they wanted to make sure all details are 100% finalized before they do. It's highly unlikely that they would reveal it tomorrow.

gfmorris
04-07-2014, 07:05 PM
UAH's is done, but they won't release it. I wonder if the league thing is a part of that. I think that it's probably got more to do with season tickets, which is fine.

GFM

gfmorris
04-16-2014, 09:08 PM
The NLI period opened today. You'll see local media reports that Josh Kestner will be the 7th native Huntsvillian to play for the Chargers and the fourth since the program went D-I for good. Neither Troy Maney nor Blake Thompson played very much — when UAHstatman and I were talking about it over iMessage today, I even forgot about Blake. [I will hear about this from him on Facebook, I am sure.] I'm sure that we all know who the fourth kid is. I don't think that we're under any impression that Josh Kestner is the next Jared Ross, but he's the next Huntsville goal scorer. Kesty, I want 10 next year.

Michael and I will have more info on who has signed as it becomes available. It is my understanding that a couple of guys may be late signing NLIs for reasons that have nothing to do with commitment to the program. We have ten committed players, and barring something unforeseen happening, those ten young men will be hating UAH math instructors sometime after Labor Day.

[Seriously, why are the math instructors here so hateful?]

GFM

gfmorris
04-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Re: 10 goals as a freshman: Ross and Bushey did in 2001-02. Karlis Zirnis didn't do it. We haven't had a 10-goal scorer since Matt Sweazey [ugh], but the ice time is going to be there for him to grab. I expect that 22-33-23 will be a thing next year. I expect McHugh to center a second line, and Kestner could slot in with him. Failing him, maybe Vanderlugt goes back to center for some scoring punch.

I think Kestner and Salhany are going to score at this level. I sure as hell hope so.

GFM

boblav1
04-17-2014, 01:53 PM
I spoke with Doug Spencer from the league office last week. They did not have a firm date for a schedule release and they wanted to make sure all details are 100% finalized before they do. It's highly unlikely that they would reveal it tomorrow.

The Nebraska Omaha schedule is out. UAH will be in Omaha on December 20 & 21.
http://www.omavs.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=795015&SPID=135111&DB_OEM_ID=31400&Q_SEASON=2014

gfmorris
04-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Yep.

GFM <— ready for UAH to 1) release the NLI signings and 2) release the schedule.

tnlong
04-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Inspiration to aspire:

"Union (32-6-4) won its final 12 games and went 16-0-1 in its last 17. The 2,200-student liberal arts college in Schenectady, N.Y., competes in Division III in all other sports."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/13/union-hockey-ncaa-champions-2014_n_5140827.html