UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    When you guys are in Houghton, you ought to consider building one of the one night wonder snow statues on friday night. there is a class just for them.
    Are they anything like the ones made of ice in Minnesota?

Comment

• Re: UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      I don't think that anyone will make the trip from here. Our fans don't travel a whole lot, and our students really don't. I would, but I'm resource-limited and have family plans to boot.

GFM
      What kind of family has plans that don't revolve around college hockey. I'm confused by this concept.
      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
        What kind of family has plans that don't revolve around college hockey. I'm confused by this concept.
        My family is from the South! I'm the weird one for liking hockey.

GFM <— didn't play as a kid when we lived in Ohio because sure as hell the folks didn't have the money for it.
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

A new recruit according to the Heisenberg site. Forward Brandon Salerno of Waterloo (USHL).

http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.co...seasonid=11221

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
            A new recruit according to the Heisenberg site. Forward Brandon Salerno of Waterloo (USHL).

http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.co...seasonid=11221
            Those are underwhelming stats, even for being in the USHL. And again we seem to be recruiting smaller guys. Whatever works, man. I'll root for Brandon, of course. If you wear Blue and White, you're okay by me!

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Interesting pickup. We definitely are picking up some smaller guys, but if I was a betting man we're putting a premium on speed. I wonder if Salerno is coming in next season or 2015-2016. I hope we let him play another year in the U Show.

Anyway, the kid played for the prestigious Don Mills Flyers AAA Hockey Club and was on the same team as high NHL draft picks Darnell Nurse and Max Domi. Was also a high (3rd round) pick in the OHL Priority Selection so there's obviously some skill there. Is also only a 95 so he's got some more time to develop. If memory serves me correctly I want to say coming out of minor midget he had some major programs like Michigan looking at him.

Well Max McHugh has slowed down a bit these last 3 games, but he still appears to be one of the best recruits we've had in awhile. Can't wait to see what this program will do in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
                Interesting pickup. We definitely are picking up some smaller guys, but if I was a betting man we're putting a premium on speed. I wonder if Salerno is coming in next season or 2015-2016. I hope we let him play another year in the U Show.

Anyway, the kid played for the prestigious Don Mills Flyers AAA Hockey Club and was on the same team as high NHL draft picks Darnell Nurse and Max Domi. Was also a high (3rd round) pick in the OHL Priority Selection so there's obviously some skill there. Is also only a 95 so he's got some more time to develop. If memory serves me correctly I want to say coming out of minor midget he had some major programs like Michigan looking at him.

Well Max McHugh has slowed down a bit these last 3 games, but he still appears to be one of the best recruits we've had in awhile. Can't wait to see what this program will do in the future.
                Speed would be wonderful thing to have right now. Heisenberg has Salerno coming in next season, as does eliteprospects.com. That's what I've put him on our commitments page for now (http://uahhockey.com/commitments/).
                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Well hopefully playing against top competition will have him prepared to step in and make a difference next year. Got to think we're about done for next year except bringing in one tender to replace Groh. I've loved our OJHL and CCHL recruits in years past (Talbot, Saunders, Guerriero, Larose) so I hope we pluck another one from up there. Competition breeds success.

With McHugh coming in and the continued development of Salhany, Prince, and Brears maybe well have someone eclipse the 20 pt. mark next year.

Also, I saw that y'all still have Alex Carpenter listed on the roster on UAHHockey.com. Is he still at UAH just stilling out his transfer year or has he left as well? And what ever happened to Steve Hickey and Christian Costello?

Comment

Those are underwhelming stats, even for being in the USHL. And again we seem to be recruiting smaller guys. Whatever works, man. I'll root for Brandon, of course. If you wear Blue and White, you're okay by me!

GFM
                    The USHL is hands down the best U.S. Junior A league, but recruiting 3rd and 4th liners from it doesn't guarantee success. WMU and BG for years were recruiting quite a few USHL kids but were still losing a lot more than they were winning. It's still a matter of getting the right kids with the right coaching. This kid is still only 18, so your coaches must feel he has a lot of upside, and yes I would think he must have pretty good speed, otherwise his recruitment doesn't make make much sense.

Comment

Goodness gracious, we could use some speed. That was evident tonight. Speed and stick work were lacking. But man, Carmine Guerriero...

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Goodness gracious, we could use some speed. That was evident tonight. Speed and stick work were lacking. But man, Carmine Guerriero...

GFM
                        Awesome goaltending performance. We had energy, were connecting on our passes, forcing turnovers...and then running into a brick wall. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that against a normal goalie on a normal night, we'd have scored 10.

Comment

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
                          Also, I saw that y'all still have Alex Carpenter listed on the roster on UAHHockey.com. Is he still at UAH just stilling out his transfer year or has he left as well? And what ever happened to Steve Hickey and Christian Costello?
                          I don't know the specifics of their situations (Geof might), but I try to keep the uahhockey.com roster matching uahchargers.com roster. I've taken off Alex Carpenter -- thanks for noticing that.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Here are the school records broken last night:

Individual:
                            Most saves in a game, modern D-I era: 61 by Carmine Guerriero (all-time record is 62 by Barry Friedman in 1986)
                            Most shots faced in a game, modern D-I era: 65 by Carmine Guerriero (all-time record is 68 by Barry Friedman in 1986)
                            Most saves in a period: 27 by Carmine Guerriero (3rd period)
                            Most shots faced in a period: 28 by Carmine Guerriero (3rd period)

Team:
                            Most shots on goal allowed, modern D-I era: 65 (all-time record is 68)
                            Most saves, modern D-I era: 61 (all-time record is 62)
                            Most shots on goal allowed in a period: 28, 3rd period (tie with the first period at Northeastern back in October)

Unfortunately, we also extended our records for losses in a season (30) and games shut out (12).

The "modern Division I era" covers the 1999 to the present. The 1999-2000 season was the first where we started to play a consistent, full Division I schedule. Our all-time records go back to the first varsity season of 1985-86.
                            Michael Napier - UAH '97
                            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Heisenberg is reporting that you guys have a new recruit for next season. Brennan Saulnier of Ft McMurray of the AJHL.
                              Last edited by Bill; 02-18-2014, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                Heisenberg is reporting that you guys have a new recruit for next season. Brennan Saulnier of Ft McMurray of the AJHL.
                                Thanks. That makes six forwards for next season, and one defenseman.

I saw "Brennan Saulnier" and had to make sure he wasn't "Brandon Salerno" (our other latest commitment).
                                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X