PDA

View Full Version : UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

UAHStatman
07-19-2013, 10:57 AM
I could see banners for 82/83/84, MAYBE the CHA champions ones, but I've always been against participation banners. I personally find them to be dumb. History shows well in your championships.

That's cool. If say 1994 and 1997 weren't included, or the NCAA mentions in 2007 and 2010, I wouldn't care too much.

beaverhockeyfan
07-19-2013, 11:26 AM
That's cool. If say 1994 and 1997 weren't included, or the NCAA mentions in 2007 and 2010, I wouldn't care too much.

BSU only includes their Conference and National Championships and the Frozen Four from 2009. If the Beavers included all the participation banners, well, they would run out of space to hang banners! :D

UAHStatman
07-19-2013, 11:41 AM
BSU only includes their Conference and National Championships and the Frozen Four from 2009. If the Beavers included all the participation banners, well, they would run out of space to hang banners! :D

Understandable. (And, technically your Frozen Four is a regional championship, so it's not inconsistent.)

UAHStatman
07-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Mike Corbett press conference: http://uahhockey.com/blog/2013/07/19/mike-corbett-is-here/

gfmorris
07-19-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm ready to roll with Mike. I'm sold.

His point about lacking an identity is a very good one. Our identity these last three years has been the kid getting picked last and hoping the parents don't call him in before dark. Now we have new life. Man, our rising seniors have seen a lot.

I am curious to see how the jerseys look based on what we saw at the post-season banquet. Douglas may have photos of those, but he does like to take the summer off from here.

As for banners, I'm generally for what's up in Spragins Hall, although they include NCAA tournament banners. [Our gym has banners for all 14 sports, conference and national titles.] I understand why we say regionals for our D-II sports, but I think that "CHA Tournament Champion" is pretty obvious for saying that we went to the NCAAs. Maybe I'm not giving casual fans enough credit. That said, no way in hell do we get more banners up in there.

As far as away games go: that's always been something that was left up to the devices of individual fans. I made the drive to Notre Dame when we played there in 09-10, and it's not bad (although I also don't mind driving 12h a day). I'd probably have to get the school involved to pull together trips on a coach. Maybe that's something that we can pull off this year. We've never done it because we don't travel well, but perhaps we don't travel well because we've never done it. I was half of a brain trust that started the first student road trip (it came from a discussion of a few of us going to Detroit before classes started ... then we talked about a van ... and then I said, "What about a bus?" So we did it). The main issue is getting the up-front cost to the company, which last I checked ran $3k. I guess we could give it a trial run early in the year and see if we can get it half full or more. I'll file that away for when I get back to town.

GFM <— supposed to be coming home in a week, but may get extended until right before classes start.

gfmorris
07-20-2013, 03:15 PM
KK is apparently going to coach Minnesota's AHL team. I'm glad that he found something that he wanted to do more than bring our program back from the dead.

GFM

altazo
07-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Whoa! At Fairbanks, AK for the last weekend of January and at Houghton, MI the following weekend. The two toughest trips in college hockey on consecutive weekends. Should be fun for the kids though, and a couple weeks of hockey that they'll likely never forget...

edit: and then up to Mankato the following weekend! Hope the boys have signed up for some internet classes. ;)

davyd83
07-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Whoa! At Fairbanks, AK for the last weekend of January and at Houghton, MI the following weekend. The two toughest trips in college hockey on consecutive weekends. Should be fun for the kids though, and a couple weeks of hockey that they'll likely never forget...

edit: and then up to Mankato the following weekend! Hope the boys have signed up for some internet classes. ;)I hope they're flying to Houghton & Mankato!

gfmorris
07-21-2013, 03:00 PM
I hope they're flying to Houghton & Mankato!

If the money's there, they might to Houghton, but they probably won't to Mankato. I wouldn't be surprised if they bused both trips.

Also, the boys played six straight road weekends last year, and GPAs were fine. They even won one of them! ;)

GFM

Pink Pony
07-21-2013, 08:28 PM
* 1982 National Club Champions
* 1983 National Club Champions
* 1984 National Club Champions
* 1996 NCAA Division II National Champions
* 1998 NCAA Division II National Champions

Five National Championships. Your team needs more recognition nationally.

gfmorris
07-22-2013, 06:17 PM
I wore my BLC polo to work today and got all sorts of looks and had a couple of discussions. Good times.

GFM

gfmorris
07-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I guess that I'm media now, because I'm on Doug Spencer's WCHA press release distribution list.

GFM

beaverhockeyfan
07-25-2013, 08:43 AM
The Bemidji Pioneer is taking a look at the new WCHA. First up, the Alabama-Huntsville Chargers:

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/meet-new-wcha-huntsville-rivalry-back

UAHStatman
07-25-2013, 11:48 AM
The Bemidji Pioneer is taking a look at the new WCHA. First up, the Alabama-Huntsville Chargers:

Aww, man. No bulletin board material. ;)

gfmorris
07-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Corbett wants to build identity: http://www.uscho.com/2013/07/25/corbetts-no-1-goal-at-alabama-huntsville-establish-programs-identity/

At the bottom, he might as well have said, "The next Nic Dowd stays down here, dammit."

GFM

gfmorris
07-25-2013, 02:22 PM

I think that a lot of fans are really happy that we stuck around, but the support and joy from Beavers fans has been near-unanimous.

I want two signs in the VBC on October 25th: "WELCOME BACK BEMIDJI" and "WE STILL HATE YOU".

GFM

beaverhockeyfan
07-25-2013, 02:25 PM
I think that a lot of fans are really happy that we stuck around, but the support and joy from Beavers fans has been near-unanimous.

I want two signs in the VBC on October 25th: "WELCOME BACK BEMIDJI" and "WE STILL HATE YOU".

GFM

Ahhh, Geof, the feeling is mutual!

gfmorris
07-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Ahhh, Geof, the feeling is mutual!

I will say nice things about your program for three more months. ;)

GFM

FadeToBlack&Gold
07-25-2013, 08:33 PM
If Corbett is anything like Frank, he scares me a little going into next year. And in a good way, as far as UAH is concerned.

davyd83
07-25-2013, 08:39 PM
If Corbett is anything like Frank, he scares me a little going into next year. And in a good way, as far as UAH is concerned.

Frank is pretty intense. He's tough, but he's fair and he's honest. His brother Ernie (Tom) is a little mellower, but not a lot. Both are outstanding hockey men and coaches. If Corbett brings a lot of Franks qualities with him, he'll do well.