PDA

View Full Version : UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24

gfmorris
03-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Are you aware that both the Kaffeeklatsch Bar and Voodoo Lounge are now smoke free? It's proof that Hell did freeze over (twice) this year. I'm a non-smoker; but ever since the earliest days of UAH hockey, I could depend on having a smoke without lighting-up (second hand) by just going to the Kaffeeklatsch on one of their busy nights.

I am, and I think that was the right choice for both establishments. I wonder if the bar that replaced Finnegan's (maybe it's still Finnegan's?) has changed their smoking policy? I never went to KK because of the smoking, but I didn't find Voodoo to be oppressive (though I usually threw those clothes straight into the washer).

GFM

pdt1081
03-05-2014, 03:39 PM
I am, and I think that was the right choice for both establishments. I wonder if the bar that replaced Finnegan's (maybe it's still Finnegan's?) has changed their smoking policy? I never went to KK because of the smoking, but I didn't find Voodoo to be oppressive (though I usually threw those clothes straight into the washer).

GFM

There's places that actually allow smoking in bars? Think it's been banned here for 7 years or so.

stuckinwi
03-05-2014, 03:54 PM
There's places that actually allow smoking in bars? Think it's been banned here for 7 years or so.

Obligatory Northern comment about South.

Freddie
03-05-2014, 04:47 PM
I believe I am on record as saying VERY early on this season that UAH would win more than one WCHA game. Vindicated.

gfmorris
03-05-2014, 05:10 PM

Yes. The rule in Huntsville (I don't think it's Alabama-wide) is that you cannot have a smoking section in your establishment. You either allow smoking everywhere and restrict your customer base to 19+ (19 is the legal age of majority here) or you are non-smoking. Obviously, bars have this option with their tighter age restriction. It ends up becoming a market differentiator. The best craft beer bar in town was always non-smoking because the owner hates cigarettes. There probably isn't a market for a craft beer bar that also allows smoking, even if it's restricted to pipes and cigars. This town just isn't wired that way.

GFM

potternmu
03-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Is anyone interested in meeting up pre/post game tonight? I'd love to experience a little Huntsville culture and hospitality.

gfmorris
03-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Is anyone interested in meeting up pre/post game tonight? I'd love to experience a little Huntsville culture and hospitality.

There will be a pre-game tailgate at the VBC. I will be there for a little bit of that time. I'm pretty hard to miss: UAH jersey, glasses, big beard, big dude, backpack. I'll be inside by 6:15, though.

GFM

davyd83
03-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Culture? in Alabama?!!. really? Well maybe in a billy bob, moonshiner, red necky sort of way. IF you can understand what they are saying to you.

Really? I think in a town where NASA is a major player, you might find a few people you could understand. It's funny, I spent 11 years in the Deep South, six in Alabama and found very little of what you attempt to illustrate. You've definitely lived up to your screen name here.

Just curious, how much time have you spent here?

pdt1081
03-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Really? I think in a town where NASA is a major player, you might find a few people you could understand. It's funny, I spent 11 years in the Deep South, six in Alabama and found very little of what you attempt to illustrate. You've definitely lived up to your screen name here.

During one of Huntsville's first seasons of D1, they came to BG. I was working for BG at that time and one of the trainers, equipment managers, or someone with the team came up to me and asked if I coul get him 4 or 5 practice pucks to warm up a goalie during intermission. He had a very heavy southern accent, and I was only 15 or 16 at the time, so he ended up having to repeat himself a couple times to the point where he kinda started to get irritated. Now, I had never really been exposed to the southern accent before, and definitely not in regards to hockey. I could speak perfect fricken Canadian and Minnestoan, and a quite a bit of New English, but trying to understand the word "puck" with a southern accent was darn near impossible.

gfmorris
03-07-2014, 04:42 PM

I prefer to think that he was joking. This league is a very redneck league, but Huntsville's the biggest metropolitan area (look it up!), and we're really not rednecks. Okay, so we left some cars up on blocks up on the Moon. Soooooorryyyyyy.

GFM

aparch
03-07-2014, 05:44 PM
...okay, so we left some cars up on blocks up on the moon. Soooooorryyyyyy.

Gfm
:D

Well played.

gfmorris
03-07-2014, 08:36 PM
:D

Well played.

That's part of a longer sketch about rednecks in space, but I've forgotten it.

Great to meet you, potternmu.

GFM

potternmu
03-08-2014, 12:29 AM
That's part of a longer sketch about rednecks in space, but I've forgotten it.

Great to meet you, potternmu.

GFM

Good to meet you as well! In really impressed with this town. The downtown area is beautiful with the park and the canal and everyone has been quite friendly. Looking forward to a fun Saturday!

gfmorris
03-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Come visit sometime, manurespreader. From what I hear, y'all will be in Huntsville in 14-15.

GFM

tnlong
03-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Here's a good story from 2013 that I just now read on the Geoffrion hockey family (mostly Blake's career ending injury). It includes a good family image with Sebastian and Brice.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9045910/blake-geoffrion-story
"I will be the first to say it was a clean, legal hit," Geoffrion says. "It's one that makes the game of hockey fun and entertaining to watch."
... "I don't remember getting cut at all when the actual hit happened," Geoffrion says. "When I got hit, the first thing that went through my mind was, 'Wow, that was embarrassing.'"
... The trainers began to cut some off his equipment. "This really rattled me," Geoffrion says. "I loved my elbow pads, had them forever."

We thank Kelly and Danny for their dedication in making the many trips from Nashville to see their sons play. It has been inspiring to see at least one of them in attendance at almost every game, especially during the last two years.

gfmorris
03-11-2014, 06:29 PM
I got to shake Danny's hand before Friday's game. Like Bill Burkholder, it will be weird to not see the Geoffrions at a game next season.

GFM <— still smiling at Brice wanting to be an actor.

gfmorris
03-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Certainly will GF. I own property in Alabama and my son is getting his PhD from UAB in December, so I'm there pretty regularly. No offense I hope BTW..

Well, you should know by now that there are four Alabamas: Birmingham, Huntsville/North Alabama, Mobile, and everything else. My mother is from everything else in Marion County; the Huntsville suburb I live in has a larger population than it and the county next door have, combined. [There is a reason that I did not keep the family land in Lamar County.] Are there rednecks up here? Sure! Once you get outside of Madison County, you see more of them. But Huntsville metro (which includes many of the rednecks) is larger as a CSA than any other metro in the WCHA, and only Anchorage is even close. Hell, there are more people in the Huntsville-Decatur CSA [417k] than all of the UP [311k].

I do take a little bit of offense, but then I'm kinda tired of people ****ting on the team right now, and I'm prone to picking fights. But I'll take that as a tacit apology and build a bridge.

GFM

vizoroo
03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Congrats to the Chargers for their inaugural season in the WCHA.
You got a lot of good press from NCAA.com and some major media.

You survived the incompetent, interim pres and the travails of being an independent.
Kudos to the fans and hockey supporters.

Good luck to Coach Corbett and the team
(unless you are playing his alma mater.)

tnlong
03-12-2014, 01:20 AM
I got to shake Danny's hand before Friday's game. Like Bill Burkholder, it will be weird to not see the Geoffrions at a game next season.

GFM < still smiling at Brice wanting to be an actor.
I hope Gail Butler is still attending Tyler's games.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=71712

gfmorris
03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Congrats to the Chargers for their inaugural season in the WCHA.
You got a lot of good press from NCAA.com and some major media.

You survived the incompetent, interim pres and the travails of being an independent.
Kudos to the fans and hockey supporters.

Good luck to Coach Corbett and the team
(unless you are playing his alma mater.)

Hehheh. Thanks, vizoroo. It's nice to be real again.

#####

Terry, Butsy recently retired. He and Holly have five girls now.

GFM