UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Congrats on the first win! (**** these must be some good drugs they have me on).

May it be your only win this season. ;p. (There I feel better)
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I had a few questions regarding recruiting I was hoping I could get some insight on (specifically Geof and UAHStatman). How does UAH handle the recruiting? Is Matty Thomas the guy who goes out and gets the boys? I know our roster and recruits coming in for 2014-2015 are pretty full up, but I wonder how many more we'll take on. Obviously another tender should be in the class. I take it there is no way to know who some prospective recruits are, but I would love to know who is on our radar. We are obviously desperate for goals and there are some top-flight goal scorers in leagues we do well in (OJHL and BCHL) that are in their last year of junior eligibility and I wonder if we're in the hunt for em.

Anyways, I've been following our recruits relatively closely and am very excited about Max McHugh. Guy is playing a regular shift on an excellent Dubuque team and putting up respectable numbers. Getting guys from the Ushow is huge IMO, the competition is as close to college as you'll get outside of Major Junior. Hope we can steal another kid similar to him who wants to come down here and potentially be "the guy" from the start.

Sorry for my rambling, but one last question. Can anyone give me the lowdown on how/who identified Brent Fletcher in the recruiting process? The guy puts up a stat line that you wouldn't think would warrant a D1 scholarship in the BCHL. But he comes in and plays an unbelievably mature and detailed game with a motor most players on any team simply don't have. Hope we can find more diamonds in the rough like this kid.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
        Congrats on the first win! (**** these must be some good drugs they have me on).

May it be your only win this season. ;p. (There I feel better)
        I've been watching your condition improve, buddy. Keep going. Also, we have two more wins to get. You know where we want them.

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
        I had a few questions regarding recruiting I was hoping I could get some insight on (specifically Geof and UAHStatman). How does UAH handle the recruiting? Is Matty Thomas the guy who goes out and gets the boys? I know our roster and recruits coming in for 2014-2015 are pretty full up, but I wonder how many more we'll take on. Obviously another tender should be in the class. I take it there is no way to know who some prospective recruits are, but I would love to know who is on our radar. We are obviously desperate for goals and there are some top-flight goal scorers in leagues we do well in (OJHL and BCHL) that are in their last year of junior eligibility and I wonder if we're in the hunt for em.

Anyways, I've been following our recruits relatively closely and am very excited about Max McHugh. Guy is playing a regular shift on an excellent Dubuque team and putting up respectable numbers. Getting guys from the Ushow is huge IMO, the competition is as close to college as you'll get outside of Major Junior. Hope we can steal another kid similar to him who wants to come down here and potentially be "the guy" from the start.

Sorry for my rambling, but one last question. Can anyone give me the lowdown on how/who identified Brent Fletcher in the recruiting process? The guy puts up a stat line that you wouldn't think would warrant a D1 scholarship in the BCHL. But he comes in and plays an unbelievably mature and detailed game with a motor most players on any team simply don't have. Hope we can find more diamonds in the rough like this kid.
        1. All three coaches recruit. The hockey office was pretty empty in September. This is a change from years past (although I know Kleinendorst wouldn't tender an offer unless he'd watched a kid play).

2. I would say that Matty recruits a little bit more than Gavin, but I don't think that it's a huge amount more. They're both pretty busy.

3. I hope that Carlson and McHugh are the beginning of a USHL pipeline to Huntsville. It doesn't have to be just Dubuque, either, but that program is doing pretty well.

4. Not sure who grabbed Fletch. I'm going to guess Garber picked up on him, but it'll be my luck that it's Gavin and I get guff next time I see him.

I stay out of the way on recruiting. We talk to guys after they've done verbal commitments, but we'll be sure to note that we're going on their verbals and not anything from the school. McHugh signed during the early NLI period, as evidenced on Twitter. I'm not aware that anyone else signed. The school has not done a release, and I will ask about that Friday night during the post-game press row/operations bull session, the contents of which will never, ever be discussed here.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I see it time and again.
          Your guys play good enough on this night to beat the other team and all of a sudden there's a thousand excuses for why it happened.
          It happened because your team put more pucks in the net and therefore were the better team on that night.
          Period Dot End Of Discussion
          Don't let anyone discount your wins.

Comment

http://uahhockey.com/blog/2013/12/10...ion-our-heart/

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

What a crock!
              The name of the game is put the puck in the other guys net more times then they put it in your net.
              If you do you're the winner. And that makes you the better of the two teams on that night.
              If you don't you're the loser. And the other team was better than you on that night.
              Plain and simple.
              All this stuff about "we've got a better win loss record", "a bunch of our players have been drafted by NHL teams, none of your players have", "my team controlled play", "we didn't capitalize on our chances", etc. etc. etc. Got any more lame excuses? What a bunch of BS.
              I stick with what I said earlier. The team that puts the puck in their opponents net the most times is the better team that night.
              Don't let anyone discount a win.
              That person is a whining loser.

Comment

The site the article you reference is NOT an official BGSU website. Neither is our AZZ.com forum. Both are fan run sites.

I was only able to make Friday's game. From what I saw then, I wasn't surprised by the outcome Saturday. BG put forth very little effort, and Huntsville had a good chance of winning Friday, they just didn't find the back of the net. Watching the game, I was reminded of BG just a few years ago. Work hard, keep game close, but ultimately just don't have the talent to find the back of the net consistently. Once in awhile, things will fall in place and they will sneak one out. We've suffered through it for years here. With the playoff games the past two years, and the way the team started out at the beginning of this year we, as fans, expected a lot more than what this team has done. It's frustrating for everybody up here, especially since there's really nothing we can do as fans. It's up to the player's to actually play the games.

Congrats to UAH on their first win this season. As long as they continue to battle, it won't be there only one.

Here's our game thread from the weekend: http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB...=31457&start=0

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                  The site the article you reference is NOT an official BGSU website. Neither is our AZZ.com forum. Both are fan run sites.
                  Neither is UAHHockey.com — that's just me and UAHstatman. We traded posts with bgsuhockey.com earlier in the week. We just think that this was very poorly stated, but the whippersnapper just won't realize what my beef is. Apparently none of the people on the staff do. That's fine. They're allowed to think like boobs.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

The amusing thing is that they have no idea of the process behind assembling a group of very young players and teaching them how to play D-1 hockey. They learn, make progress, and become more and more of a threat as the year progresses. The bonding process and group embarrassment of never having previously been on the losing side so much gives them a great motivational edge to get better faster than most of the other teams in the country. Up to this point, each and every one of the freshmen has been somewhat a "star" throughout his years on the ice and has probably always been on a wining team. Given the number of freshmen this year, there should be very high hopes for the 2016-2017 edition of UAH though.

Comment

You won't win many 1-2 games in the third when you take two major penalties in the last seven minutes. People may ***** about the officiating all they want, but when it's gotten to the level of a major penalty, dirty deeds have been done dirt cheap.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Reino misses the first game against Wisconsin. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the trip: why hurt your depth by taking a guy that can only play one game? It's a shame, because that's not his game, and he's a friendly guy who's well-loved.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          Reino misses the first game against Wisconsin. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the trip: why hurt your depth by taking a guy that can only play one game? It's a shame, because that's not his game, and he's a friendly guy who's well-loved.

GFM
                          He doesn't have to spend a weekend in Wisconsin? That's great news for him. But what's his punishment for the boarding?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            He doesn't have to spend a weekend in Wisconsin? That's great news for him. But what's his punishment for the boarding?
                            The one game that was discussed. Today, the league suspended him and Phillip Marinaccio of BSU for one game each; Marinaccio misses a league game against Northern on 2014-01-03.

Do you know who complains about officiating? The fans of losing teams do.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              The one game that was discussed. Today, the league suspended him and Phillip Marinaccio of BSU for one game each; Marinaccio misses a league game against Northern on 2014-01-03.

Do you know who complains about officiating? The fans of losing teams do.

GFM
                              Sorry, it was a joke. I should have used an emoticon.

Comment

I've since found out that the entire team is making the trip. They either meet in Huntsville for a bus trip or meet at one of the Chicago airports at a certain time for a flight to Madison. I was mistakenly running on the point that the WCHA limits the size of the travel party. This would obviously not affect a non-conference game. I regret the error.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X