PDA

View Full Version : UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

gfmorris
01-19-2014, 06:08 PM
But ugh. That was such a bad return to form.

GFM

pdt1081
01-19-2014, 07:20 PM
But ugh. That was such a bad return to form.

GFM

Baby steps. The worst part about being a fan of a complete rebuilding team is the let down after seeing a glimpse of what might have been. Hang in there. Couple seasons you'll be a fan of a mid-pack team absolutely disappointed and heart broken after each loss, because you know they should be wins.

gfmorris
01-20-2014, 10:40 AM
It's disheartening that the only UAH fan other than me that consistently posts here is UAHStatman. This is certainly fine with me, considering that we're partners in crime, but it bothers me that our other fans have all tuned out of the message board.

Thanks for the games, Anchorage. We'll find out soon if you come back again next season. If you do, I hope that it's at a time when y'all can come visit. :)

GFM

GetOutDaKitchin
01-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Hey now I haven't tuned this out! I check it daily looking for updates. It's difficult only being able to watch games bc of law school! Anyway, enough of that sob story.

If y'all have kept tabs on Max McHugh hopefully your as excited as I am. Putting up a 9-7-16 slash line in 32 games in the U Show is a **** fine accomplishment. We have not had a recruit near that quality coming from this league in, well, likely ever. With points in 8 of his last 10 games were legitimately talking about a top 6 forward in league that is as close to the college hockey level as you can get. Awesome get and should slide right in to our top 6 with relative ease.

Josh Kestner is another cause for excitement. While the GOJHL may not be full of world class talent like the USHL, OHL teams consistently send their top prospects there to develop. That makes Kestner's numbers hard to ignore. 30 goals in 36 games is impressive. Hopefully his scoring will ultimately translate to the NCAA level.

I hope that UAH has not turned a blind eye to the Thunder AAA U18 just yet either. There are more guys than just Rotenberger over there. Mitch Fossier just recently committed to Maine and **** near half the team has tendered in the NAHL or is expected in the USHL next year. This program is slowly but surely placing itself amongst the developmentally leading youth programs like Belle Tire, Compuware, St. Louis AAA Blues, etc., an its in UAH's backyard. I've said it many times before, but if we can establish I pipeline there well be one step closer to keeping homegrown talent in the South.

GetOutDaKitchin
01-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Just saw this:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=701387&navid=nhl:topheads

Wish that "talk" at 17-18 had been an offer! Still pretty cool.

gfmorris
01-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Just saw this:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=701387&navid=nhl:topheads

Wish that "talk" at 17-18 had been an offer! Still pretty cool.

Yeah, if he was really receptive — no reason to believe that he wasn't — it's sad that he didn't come here.

I wonder if his younger brothers are any good.

GFM

tnlong
01-23-2014, 04:00 PM
http://i4sportsonline.com/features/a-50-year-affair-on-ice/

slowe
01-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Excellent read, thanks for posting. I know a little history about Huntsville hockey just from following this board, but that was a great article that really showed why they are the Hockey Capital of the South. While the last few years may have been rough, Huntsville has a long history. Glad to see them back on the right path.

tnlong
01-23-2014, 05:49 PM
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/10/25/5022670/minor-league-hockey-jeff-winchester-interview

Lakers2Glory
01-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Does UAH have a decent stream? I am looking forward to the LSSU vs UAH series in a couple of weeks. Should be a couple of good games.

UAHStatman
01-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Does UAH have a decent stream? I am looking forward to the LSSU vs UAH series in a couple of weeks. Should be a couple of good games.

It's OK, in my opinion. I wish the video was sharper in full screen mode*, but the audio's pretty good. Recently, Geof has been regularly doing the play-by-play, and I think he does OK (especially when the Chargers are wearing unis you can actually read) considering how he's more natural as an analyst and not comfortable doing PBP.

*I wish there was an "in-between" video size on America One. The normal view is too small for my screen resolution, and the full screen view can be a little blurry -- particularly on feeds that are online only (not on TV).

Alaska Hockey
01-24-2014, 11:45 AM
It's disheartening that the only UAH fan other than me that consistently posts here is UAHStatman. This is certainly fine with me, considering that we're partners in crime, but it bothers me that our other fans have all tuned out of the message board.

Thanks for the games, Anchorage. We'll find out soon if you come back again next season. If you do, I hope that it's at a time when y'all can come visit. :)

GFM
GFM sorry we didn't get to meet up in Huntsville. I will be hard to find a better Team Hotel to stay in for a road trip bar none. Embassy Suites Huntsville, next to the arena which you can walk to or have the Hotel van deliver and pick you up at the front door.. free open bar 5:30-7:30 for a "pre game tune up". Free breakfast every morning , but your local paper sucks not a word about UAH Hockey.

gfmorris
01-24-2014, 02:42 PM
GFM sorry we didn't get to meet up in Huntsville. I will be hard to find a better Team Hotel to stay in for a road trip bar none. Embassy Suites Huntsville, next to the arena which you can walk to or have the Hotel van deliver and pick you up at the front door.. free open bar 5:30-7:30 for a "pre game tune up". Free breakfast every morning , but your local paper sucks not a word about UAH Hockey.

I'm sorry that we didn't get to connect.

I really wish that our production was multi-camera. Coaches' camera high isn't bad, but when you see other WCHA schools — ones without local TV production — doing multi-camera, well ...

GFM <— not the best PBP guy, but he's trying.

[ETA] You know how we joke that sometimes the A1 broadcast would be better as a student program? I just remembered that, uh, I am a student...

UAHStatman
01-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Fairbanks News Miner article on the Chargers' rebuilding process: http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_nanooks/chargers-take-small-steps-in-rebuilding-process/article_71010104-8a5a-11e3-86ba-001a4bcf6878.html

That last line from Corbett. I chuckled.

Suze
01-31-2014, 05:58 PM
Fairbanks News Miner article on the Chargers' rebuilding process: http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_nanooks/chargers-take-small-steps-in-rebuilding-process/article_71010104-8a5a-11e3-86ba-001a4bcf6878.html

That last line from Corbett. I chuckled.

Wow, I had no idea the team was so young! 11 freshman and 7 sophomores? Whew!

gfmorris
02-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Wow, I had no idea the team was so young! 11 freshman and 7 sophomores? Whew!

We lost guys to transfer when the program was sorta-cancelled, and other guys have just left.

GFM

GetOutDaKitchin
02-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Another commit today! Another Thunder AAA guy in Connor Wood. Born in 1996, he's listed at 5'7 160 and has 30 pts total in 41 games with 20 of those pts coming in 31 T1EHL games. He's tendered with Amarillo in the NAHL where he'll be coached by former UAH assistant Dennis Williams. From what I've read it sounds like the kid has a never ending motor with decent offensive upside. Likely coming in with Rotenberger in 2015-2016, maybe even the year after, giving him 2 years in juniors. Awesome to get another Thunder kid continuing that pipeline.

gfmorris
02-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I'll be interested to see what kind of ice time he gets in Amarillo. The same goes for Rotenberger. If they're just going to play one year, we need development in a hurry.

GFM

manurespreader
02-04-2014, 04:51 PM
When you guys are in Houghton, you ought to consider building one of the one night wonder snow statues on friday night. there is a class just for them.

gfmorris
02-05-2014, 08:51 PM
When you guys are in Houghton, you ought to consider building one of the one night wonder snow statues on friday night. there is a class just for them.

I don't think that anyone will make the trip from here. Our fans don't travel a whole lot, and our students really don't. I would, but I'm resource-limited and have family plans to boot.

GFM