PDA

View Full Version : UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

UAHStatman
11-21-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure. I'd guess 14-15. I can ask via Twitter. The early NLI window closed on Wednesday, and Athletics told me that you only sign NLIs for guys coming in the next school year, which is why they hadn't seen anything on Teddy Rotenberger (15-16 at the earliest). We know that Max McHugh signed his NLI from a twitpic (and I confirmed that with an unnamed source in Athletics). I don't have a handle on Knight, Smits, or Marooney. I do know that Athletics plans on doing a press release about McHugh and whoever else has signed NLIs, either late this week or early next. I'd bet on the latter.

GFM <— hoping that MN pipeline is cracked open, too...

College Hockey Inc.'s commitments Twitter says Joey's committed for 2015-16: https://twitter.com/hockeycommits/status/403573555176042496

Also, Chris Dilks has him listed among the top seniors in Minnesota:
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/high-school-hockey/2013/11/21/5128194/top-minnesota-high-school-hockey-players-by-class-november-2013

beaverhockeyfan
11-21-2013, 01:07 PM
GFM < hoping that MN pipeline is cracked open, too...

We better get a crew out to patch that up! :p

gfmorris
11-21-2013, 02:28 PM
We better get a crew out to patch that up! :p

I'd be worried if Bemidji had an engineering program ... ;)

I've noticed that, after skewing for 6-plus guys under Luongo and Kleinendorst, these kids coming in are mostly under 6-foot. Bondarenko is certainly young enough to get a few inches taller, but if we can get guys who put pucks in the net, I don't care if they're smaller than Rocco Grimaldi. It's also great to see that we're picking up some kids before they go play in Tier I or Tier II. Sure, it's risky, but I trust our coaches' eyes.

GFM

purpleinnebraska
11-21-2013, 02:52 PM
I'd be worried if Bemidji had an engineering program ... ;)

I've noticed that, after skewing for 6-plus guys under Luongo and Kleinendorst, these kids coming in are mostly under 6-foot. Bondarenko is certainly young enough to get a few inches taller, but if we can get guys who put pucks in the net, I don't care if they're smaller than Rocco Grimaldi. It's also great to see that we're picking up some kids before they go play in Tier I or Tier II. Sure, it's risky, but I trust our coaches' eyes.

GFM

Interesting topic that I've been too lazy to research - Is college hockey getting "smaller"? There's been a lot of talk about "the BC model" of smaller, faster players, and this year the Gophers brought in Cammarata and Kloos, who might have been deemed too small in days past (They also brought in Fasching, who's decent sized and plays even bigger, so maybe this is more anecdotal than fact-based.)
Does the college game better lend itself to smaller players, while bigger guys can use their size and strength (and fighting abilities) in Canada? Anyway, not specifically a UAH question, but when you noted that your coach is skewing smaller, I wondered if it isn't part of a trend.

gfmorris
11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Interesting topic that I've been too lazy to research - Is college hockey getting "smaller"? There's been a lot of talk about "the BC model" of smaller, faster players, and this year the Gophers brought in Cammarata and Kloos, who might have been deemed too small in days past (They also brought in Fasching, who's decent sized and plays even bigger, so maybe this is more anecdotal than fact-based.)
Does the college game better lend itself to smaller players, while bigger guys can use their size and strength (and fighting abilities) in Canada? Anyway, not specifically a UAH question, but when you noted that your coach is skewing smaller, I wondered if it isn't part of a trend.

That would take a lot of data, but it's there. Let's see: height-weight pairs matched with G-A—P, +/- (which we really don't have in college hockey stats), GAA, SV% ... check overall trends (height-weight pairs) at D, C, W, and G, all matched with performance ... sounds like a project for someone more interested in it than I am.

GFM <— has enough unfinished projects as it is.

beaverhockeyfan
11-21-2013, 04:18 PM

I would say yes, and add that hockey, in general, I think is/will get smaller. With all the rules coming down the pipe regarding contact, hooking, holding, interefence, etc., I think speed is becoming a bigger commodity that size. Of course the skill set is the #1 thing, but size isn't as big of an asset as is once was.

Plus, in order to hit someone, you have to catch them first!!!

gfmorris
11-21-2013, 06:17 PM
But speaking of bigger guys: http://uahhockey.com/blog/2013/11/21/doug-reid/

GetOutDaKitchin
11-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Anyone know who all made the trip up to Northern Michigan? I looked in the picture and saw the obvious guys, but I'm interested to see all the guys who made the trip. It'll go a long way in seeing how Corbett and the coaching staff view the roster/depth chart at this point. Also got to wonder if and when Larose or Guerriero will claim the top tender spot. Both have had their good games and bad. Larose probably has the upper hand going into this weekend considering his performance this past Saturday.

I think Regan Soquila, Matt Salhany, and Chad Brears have the potential to be legitimate threats in this league. Hopefully we continue to see their development trending upwards.

Also good to see the young Russian committing to UAH. Getting commits years in advance is the best way to build a program. You see it time and again with the big schools getting guys to commit when they're young and they come in and make an immediate impact.

Well, there's my two cents. Hope we can get that elusive first win this weekend.

gfmorris
11-23-2013, 12:55 AM
I tried to pick out faces, but I'm still getting the new guys stuck in my head. That said, there were a good chunk of freshmen on the trip. We'll probably see the two skaters who sat tonight in the game tomorrow and I expect that Guerriero will be in net. Matt looked good, and the stat sheet likes him, but I thought that he could've had the third goal, even though it was a high-quality chance. Clarke Saunders stops that one, I think, but I'm looking at him from a two-year stint, where Larose has six GP on his resume. He didn't shut the Wildcats down like, say, Guerriero against Bemidji, a performance that got him the next start.

Fletcher continues to catch my eye, and I know that Corbett is high on him having seen him in game action. He also mentioned Reinhardt in this weeks The Tradition Continues video, but I've always liked the way that he plays, and he's progressed again from last year to this one.

I like our chances on Saturday night.

GFM

tnlong
11-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Cam is slated to be in net tonight in Nashville.
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/4405/w2w4-rangers-get-a-rare-predators-sighting-saturday-night#.UpD29ifhGSo
We have tickets ( 105 HH ). :cool:
http://www.vividseats.com/nhl-hockey/nashville-predators-tickets/predators-11-23-1459994.html

gfmorris
11-23-2013, 07:38 PM
I hope that it goes well!

GFM

gfmorris
11-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Madre de Dios. This is getting hard to have hope in. I was really feeling like 0-38-0 was a possibility after the first St. Cloud game, but then they drop that bomb on the Huskies the next night. They looked good for a Friday start last night, so I was thinking that we'd get a win tonight. Nope. Nice first, okay second, terrible third, 4-0 win.

I still have a lot of hope, but my expectations are getting beaten down. Of course, we did shock Denver out of nowhere in 2012.

GFM

UAHStatman
11-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Madre de Dios. This is getting hard to have hope in. I was really feeling like 0-38-0 was a possibility after the first St. Cloud game, but then they drop that bomb on the Huskies the next night. They looked good for a Friday start last night, so I was thinking that we'd get a win tonight. Nope. Nice first, okay second, terrible third, 4-0 win.

I still have a lot of hope, but my expectations are getting beaten down. Of course, we did shock Denver out of nowhere in 2012.

GFM

I have a feeling the team felt good coming into tonight as well, and I sensed the anger and frustration of it not coming together in that third period. Heck, it was making me angry.

I too still think the future is bright, but this now 21-game losing streak keeps clouding things. It needs to get out of the way, fast.

tnlong
11-24-2013, 12:40 AM
It's another shut-out for cam!

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/11/23/talbot-posts-2nd-straight-shutout-lifts-rangers-to-2-0-win-over-predators/

It was cool having Rangers fans behind us and to the leftt of us. Our other neighbors weren't quite so pleased.

tnlong
11-24-2013, 12:44 AM
My Ross "7" stars & stripes jersey blended quite well with the Rangers' jerseys in our rows.

boblav1
11-26-2013, 07:50 PM
The Heisenberg site is showing another recruit.
Huntsville native Josh Kestner-RW-Sarnia (GOJHL) - 6'1 165 11/8/93. Kestner is currently 7th in the league in scoring with 39 points (23-16-39) in 25 games.

http://wohcsarnia.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=6285973&seasonid=11305

UAHStatman
11-27-2013, 11:46 AM
It's another shut-out for cam!

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/11/23/talbot-posts-2nd-straight-shutout-lifts-rangers-to-2-0-win-over-predators/

It was cool having Rangers fans behind us and to the leftt of us. Our other neighbors weren't quite so pleased.

Cool! I'm glad you got to watch the 'Bot play in person. I'll have to pay attention the next time the Rangers visit Carolina...

UAHStatman
11-27-2013, 11:50 AM
The Heisenberg site is showing another recruit.
Huntsville native Josh Kestner-RW-Sarnia (GOJHL) - 6'1 165 11/8/93. Kestner is currently 7th in the league in scoring with 39 points (23-16-39) in 25 games.

http://wohcsarnia.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=6285973&seasonid=11305

Fabulous! This could mean in 2015, with Ted Rotenberger, we'll have two Huntsvillians at the same time. Hasn't happened since 2001-02 with Jared Ross and Blake Thompson (if I recall correctly).

gfmorris
11-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Fabulous! This could mean in 2015, with Ted Rotenberger, we'll have two Huntsvillians at the same time. Hasn't happened since 2001-02 with Jared Ross and Blake Thompson (if I recall correctly).

You are correct, sir. It'll be the third pairing of players from the same metro area in the last few years after the Geoffrions and Lysaght & Pierce.

Speaking of Kyle, I keep seeing good progress reports on him. He also keeps appearing at home games, which makes me sad because he's gone by the time I get downstairs.

GFM

GetOutDaKitchin
12-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Per the twitter account of a fellow teammate, Topeka Roadrunner's leading scorer Tyler Poulsen has committed to UAH. A small forward, I'm hoping he can bring some scoring to the table. He's been in the NAHL for awhile now. If anyone has some more information on the kid I'd love to hear it.