West Coast College Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Coast College Hockey

The USCHO article on West Coast college hockey history is interesting, but if we want to talk about 2013 realities I think that the focus on the Southwest is misplaced. The Pacific Northwest is, and always has been, a much more fertile ground for hockey (weather being one very obvious factor) and should be a future growth area for NCAA Div 1 hockey, both male and female. There is a tremendous fan base here, as evidenced by the success of the many Western Hockey League franchises and the history of senior semi-pro hockey in the area. I would love to see college hockey on most of the campuses that are now part of the Northern Division of the Pac 12 football. Also, cities like Spokane, Portland and Seattle are great hockey towns. Of course the fact that major junior hockey got here first is a disadvantage, and the NCAA would have to compete for fans, but better to be late in a fertile market than try to fight for hockey fans in the deserts of Arizona and Southern California.
    Last edited by hab; 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM.

Re: West Coast College Hockey

It was an interesting read, and the attendance at (some) club games out there are impressive, but that's a believe-it-when-you-see-it kind of scenario.

Especially with the WHL already having a presence out there.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      It was an interesting read, and the attendance at (some) club games out there are impressive, but that's a believe-it-when-you-see-it kind of scenario.

Especially with the WHL already having a presence out there.
      to me it'd come down to the ability of the local community to support it. I can't imagine all the NW viable areas have a WHL team. If you have an insulated college town I think you can make it work.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        to me it'd come down to the ability of the local community to support it. I can't imagine all the NW viable areas have a WHL team. If you have an insulated college town I think you can make it work.
        Correct. The success of the WHL shows the overall level of interest in hockey in the region, but most college campuses (e.g. PAC 12 north) are in communities that are some distance from WHL cities. The biggest problem I see is how to get from zero NCAA teams to a conference. Starting as an independent or as a member of one of the existing conferences would be expensive from a travel perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
          Correct. The success of the WHL shows the overall level of interest in hockey in the region, but most college campuses (e.g. PAC 12 north) are in communities that are some distance from WHL cities. The biggest problem I see is how to get from zero NCAA teams to a conference. Starting as an independent or as a member of one of the existing conferences would be expensive from a travel perspective.
          Who says you need to do that, the landscape has changed and NCHC has spots open

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
            Travel expense is going to be an issue with most of the western teams, given how spread out everyone is. I understand the NCHC is much more of a primadonna-esque league, but that'd probably be the best place, given you have Denver and Colorado College as at least somewhat close trips. Atlantic also has a 12th spot opening up (I know, good luck with it already being a cost containment league), perhaps get a close trip for Air Force? Who knows, if you can get 4 schools together out in the west, poach Air Force and an Alaska school and you have yourself the PHA.

Comment

That'd be the best starting spot IMO. They need some bottom feeders, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                That'd be the best starting spot IMO. They need some bottom feeders, anyway.
                We could give them Notre Dame

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

We could give them Notre Dame
                  You going to give us spot #12?

Comment

Which NCHC schools is a bus trip from a West Coast school?
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Which NCHC schools is a bus trip from a West Coast school?
                      If Colorado University joins, Denver and Colorado College.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        If Colorado University joins, Denver and Colorado College.
                        The last time I looked, Boulder was around 1200 miles from the West Coast.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          The last time I looked, Boulder was around 1200 miles from the West Coast.
                          And yet, they're in a "Pacific" conference.

Comment

If you pardon the personal story and skip to the end I talk about when San Diego had a D1 hockey program back in the 80s.
                            http://oldtimehockeyfornow.blogspot....-then.html?m=1

Comment

As a college hockey fan who is currently located in Tempe Arizona.. I really really want ASU to step up to NCAA. Their club teams play in a **** venue and draw a **** crowds, yet they have so much potential.
                              RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                              X