Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East Playoff Format (starting for 14/15 season) Rumor

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 10h
    Per 2 coaching sources, after AD vote earlier this week, the 1st round of the HEA playoffs (5v12, 6v11, etc) will be 1 game & not best of 3
    Thoughts? I really don't like this.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Re: Hockey East Playoff Format (starting for 14/15 season) Rumor

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Thoughts? I really don't like this.
    Me neither. You want your best teams to advance. A one and done leaves you too many chances for an upset.

UNLESS
    They are doing a Tuesday night for round 1 and then Fri - Sunday for Round 2 all in the same week??????
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

On the bright side, it makes getting into the top 4 all the more important.
      #NewMass

Comment

Well it's now official.
        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Lame format. Should be top 8 qualify.

Comment

The 1 game playoff for the bottom 8 teams is not good. It effectivly sets up the likelihood that the Quarterfinals series will be waterd down and creates possible bad matchups. If Northeastern finishes 12th and then upsets the 5 seed, we would see the worst team in the league get beat down in a non-competive series against the top team.

If you want to expand the playoffs it should be a best of 3 series...that REALLY makes it more worth while to make the top 4.

Comment

Maine, UNH, UML, BU, BC, Providence, and Northeastern should all walk away together and hit reset...If one more comes its Merrimack. Hockey East was a unique situation where all teams could reach each other by bus. Whoever decided Indiana was in the east needs to pull their head out of their *** and study a map.

Comment

The more I think about this, the more I dislike it. Obviously, they're trying to get the first "round" and second "round" of the playoffs all in one week.

But a one-game playoff ... ouch. Hell, if they do this right after the season ends, that means the final game of the season is on Saturday (or Sunday I suppose) and then the home teams will have to sell for a Tuesday night game? This is going to help attendance ... how?
                Monty

Comment

You complain about a one-game series in the first round, yet the entire NCAA tournament, as well as the HEA semis and final, are all one-game series. Something doesn't add up.

Comment

The more I think about this, the more I dislike it. Obviously, they're trying to get the first "round" and second "round" of the playoffs all in one week.

But a one-game playoff ... ouch. Hell, if they do this right after the season ends, that means the final game of the season is on Saturday (or Sunday I suppose) and then the home teams will have to sell for a Tuesday night game? This is going to help attendance ... how?
                    It's not Tuesday, the "First Round" gets it's own entire weekend after the regular season ends and before the quarterfinals... and only one game is played.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      You complain about a one-game series in the first round, yet the entire NCAA tournament, as well as the HEA semis and final, are all one-game series. Something doesn't add up.
                      Slightly different, at least in my opinion.
                      Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                      It's not Tuesday, the "First Round" gets it's own entire weekend after the regular season ends and before the quarterfinals... and only one game is played.
                      You might be right. I think I read joecct's comment about Tuesday, and it just stuck in my mind.
                      Monty

Comment

You might be right. I think I read joecct's comment about Tuesday, and it just stuck in my mind.
                        Look at any team that has released their schedule, they have a full weekend blocked off for this stupidity.

My thoughts from almost exactly a year ago, they haven't changed: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post5465331

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                          Look at any team that has released their schedule, they have a full weekend blocked off for this stupidity.

My thoughts from almost exactly a year ago, they haven't changed: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post5465331
                          I agree with that as a better option.

I still think Notre Dame was a terrible mistake and bad for branding
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I think the best thing about this new format is how much you guys are going to complain about it.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

We're not Eastern Elitists, you can complain about it too
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X