PDA

View Full Version : Hockey East Playoff Format (starting for 14/15 season) Rumor

Pages : [1] 2 3

UMLFan
06-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 10h
Per 2 coaching sources, after AD vote earlier this week, the 1st round of the HEA playoffs (5v12, 6v11, etc) will be 1 game & not best of 3
Thoughts? I really don't like this.

joecct
06-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Thoughts? I really don't like this.Me neither. You want your best teams to advance. A one and done leaves you too many chances for an upset.

UNLESS
They are doing a Tuesday night for round 1 and then Fri - Sunday for Round 2 all in the same week??????

jjmc85
06-27-2013, 11:02 PM
On the bright side, it makes getting into the top 4 all the more important.

UMLFan
06-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Well it's now official (http://themackreport.com/chn-hockey-east-approves-new-playoff/).

ericredaxe
06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Lame format. Should be top 8 qualify.

SNHUPenman
06-28-2013, 08:30 AM
The 1 game playoff for the bottom 8 teams is not good. It effectivly sets up the likelihood that the Quarterfinals series will be waterd down and creates possible bad matchups. If Northeastern finishes 12th and then upsets the 5 seed, we would see the worst team in the league get beat down in a non-competive series against the top team.

If you want to expand the playoffs it should be a best of 3 series...that REALLY makes it more worth while to make the top 4.

Brian Kasabian
06-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Maine, UNH, UML, BU, BC, Providence, and Northeastern should all walk away together and hit reset...If one more comes its Merrimack. Hockey East was a unique situation where all teams could reach each other by bus. Whoever decided Indiana was in the east needs to pull their head out of their *** and study a map.

UMLFan
06-28-2013, 08:48 AM
The more I think about this, the more I dislike it. Obviously, they're trying to get the first "round" and second "round" of the playoffs all in one week.

But a one-game playoff ... ouch. Hell, if they do this right after the season ends, that means the final game of the season is on Saturday (or Sunday I suppose) and then the home teams will have to sell for a Tuesday night game? This is going to help attendance ... how?

FlagDUDE08
06-28-2013, 08:53 AM
You complain about a one-game series in the first round, yet the entire NCAA tournament, as well as the HEA semis and final, are all one-game series. Something doesn't add up. ;)

Agganis
06-28-2013, 09:06 AM
The more I think about this, the more I dislike it. Obviously, they're trying to get the first "round" and second "round" of the playoffs all in one week.

But a one-game playoff ... ouch. Hell, if they do this right after the season ends, that means the final game of the season is on Saturday (or Sunday I suppose) and then the home teams will have to sell for a Tuesday night game? This is going to help attendance ... how?

It's not Tuesday, the "First Round" gets it's own entire weekend after the regular season ends and before the quarterfinals... and only one game is played.

UMLFan
06-28-2013, 09:17 AM
You complain about a one-game series in the first round, yet the entire NCAA tournament, as well as the HEA semis and final, are all one-game series. Something doesn't add up. ;)
Slightly different, at least in my opinion.

It's not Tuesday, the "First Round" gets it's own entire weekend after the regular season ends and before the quarterfinals... and only one game is played.
You might be right. I think I read joecct's comment about Tuesday, and it just stuck in my mind.

Agganis
06-28-2013, 09:21 AM
You might be right. I think I read joecct's comment about Tuesday, and it just stuck in my mind.

Look at any team that has released their schedule, they have a full weekend blocked off for this stupidity.

My thoughts from almost exactly a year ago, they haven't changed: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?100815-Hockey-East-future-tournament-structure&p=5465331&viewfull=1#post5465331

Patman
06-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Look at any team that has released their schedule, they have a full weekend blocked off for this stupidity.

My thoughts from almost exactly a year ago, they haven't changed: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?100815-Hockey-East-future-tournament-structure&p=5465331&viewfull=1#post5465331

I agree with that as a better option.

I still think Notre Dame was a terrible mistake and bad for branding

Biddco
06-28-2013, 11:41 AM
I think the best thing about this new format is how much you guys are going to complain about it. :D

Aerman
06-28-2013, 01:22 PM
We're not Eastern Elitists, you can complain about it too :D

Nick Papagiorgio
06-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Things keep getting worse for this league. This is assinine and I'm being polite about it.

Kind of amazing the things that have happened in the past 10 years that could gone the other way.

- UMass system not nuking UML. Would anyone other than UML people care if this had happened?
- Adding Vermont. They are floudering, the upgrade to HE hasn't helped them really, and they haven't helped the league either. Pointless addition.
- Adding Notre Dame. This was a great one. Adding a team from Indiana to the league so more people will watch on television even though NO ONE watches college hockey (niche of a niche sport) on television.
- Adding Uconn. Quinnipiac would have been a better idea IF adding anyone at all but then again we already have a blue and gold team of overaged Canadian thugs (Merrimack). Uconn is going to be a bottom feeder of UMass Amherst proportions. Nice.

We could be sitting at a sweet, beautiful 8 teams, 3 games a year against the other 7 teams, and have some great opportunities for OOC games.

This family photo of teams in the future Hockey East is going to look like the **** Addams Family.

gscott13
06-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Things keep getting worse for this league. This is assinine and I'm being polite about it.

Kind of amazing the things that have happened in the past 10 years that could gone the other way.

- UMass system not nuking UML. Would anyone other than UML people care if this had happened?
- Adding Vermont. They are floudering, the upgrade to HE hasn't helped them really, and they haven't helped the league either. Pointless addition.
- Adding Notre Dame. This was a great one. Adding a team from Indiana to the league so more people will watch on television even though NO ONE watches college hockey (niche of a niche sport) on television.
- Adding Uconn. Quinnipiac would have been a better idea IF adding anyone at all but then again we already have a blue and gold team of overaged Canadian thugs (Merrimack). Uconn is going to be a bottom feeder of UMass Amherst proportions. Nice.

We could be sitting at a sweet, beautiful 8 teams, 3 games a year against the other 7 teams, and have some great opportunities for OOC games.

This family photo of teams in the future Hockey East is going to look like the **** Addams Family.

why they wouldn't go with the ecac model if anything is mindblowing... one game first round? prepare to have teams sit three-four weeks between the first round and the first round of the ncaa tourney....

Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau
06-28-2013, 03:24 PM
You want your best teams to advance.
Zen juste send da top 4 to da Gahden et evuryones else go ome, eh?

A one and done leaves you too many chances for an upset.
Oh my gods! zee number 11 team beated zee number 7 team, what we gonna do! Zee ockey world she can not taking this...mon dieu!

Jim
06-28-2013, 03:57 PM

Calm down Nickster. it isn't the end of the world. I know that Atlantic used a 1 game play-in for a few years, and generally the outcome was what you'd expect more or less. Oh occassionally the 8 would beat the 9 or the 10 the 7. One year I do think there were a bunch of 1st round upsets. But it was kind of a flukey thing. As far as your concern about the quality of games in the quarter finals if a lower seed wins, I'm not sure that those games are usually that competitive anyway. last season, 3 of the 4 quarters were won 2-0, and in its history(not counting 2013) of the 1-8 series has gone to 3 games exactly 5 times. the Number 8 has only advanced 4 times. Even 4-5, which you'd expect to be pretty evenly matched, has only gone to 3 games 8 times in 28 years, so its not like the quarter finals are these evenly matched pitched battles. Mostly they are blowouts by the higher ranked team. So nothing will change on that front. As far as adding Notre Dame and UConn, I can't say I'm sold on the Irish add either. Seemed like a weird match to me, but I'm looking forward to UConn joining. They will give a reasonable account of themselves pretty quickly, I think. My guess is that until this year, you couldn't spell Quinnipiac, never mind tell what state it was located in, but let me say that if you don't like UML, you'd really dislike the Q.

Thiessen'sBetter
06-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Will they re-seed in the quarters? I hope so. If the 12 seed upsets the 5 they should have to play the 1, not the 4.

I don't mind the fact that its 1 game instead of best 3. I mind the fact that everyone makes the tournament. It cheapens the regular season and lets be honest: NU fans in 2013, Vermont fans in 2012, Lowell fans in 2011- did you really want to see your team play an extra game?