An Issue with USCHO and their Women's Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Issue with USCHO and their Women's Coverage

While I do appreciate what USCHO does for our women and their/our sport, if you check today of the cover pages for both genders, you'll notice that the men have an article dating June 18, where the women's cover story is from March 29! Seriously! Like there's nothing going on since then?! Maybe cover the National team tryout camps...there's a thought. My annoyance with this issue goes back years and it never seems to be addressed. I enjoy and favour USCHO for my women's hockey coverage, but even ESPN took the hint with their upgrading to ESPNW!! C'mon USHCO, I'm sure you could find some retired parents with plenty of collegiate hockey insight to help your coverage....heck, just read your own threads! I'm just saying....

Re: An Issue with USCHO and their Women's Coverage

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
    While I do appreciate what USCHO does for our women and their/our sport, if you check today of the cover pages for both genders, you'll notice that the men have an article dating June 18, where the women's cover story is from March 29! Seriously! Like there's nothing going on since then?! Maybe cover the National team tryout camps...there's a thought. My annoyance with this issue goes back years and it never seems to be addressed. I enjoy and favour USCHO for my women's hockey coverage, but even ESPN took the hint with their upgrading to ESPNW!! C'mon USHCO, I'm sure you could find some retired parents with plenty of collegiate hockey insight to help your coverage....heck, just read your own threads! I'm just saying....
    Blame it on ARM...he is a summer slacker. Seriously though, just what kind of coverage do you expect when nothing really happens in the world of women's COLLEGE hockey between the months of March and October?

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
      Blame it on ARM...he is a summer slacker. Seriously though, just what kind of coverage do you expect when nothing really happens in the world of women's COLLEGE hockey between the months of March and October?
      As noted, there's not much going on in men's college hockey, either, but we still get a few new articles each week.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Yea Hux, what he said!! That's what reporting is....finding the interesting stories...

Comment

So it's now a couple of weeks before school begins....both Canada and USA are having their respective tryout weekends, and the cover page on USCHO Women's hockey is from March 29!! Seriously! Not one story out there to be written on the women's game in 5 months? Somehow I don't find the effort put forth at all....

Comment

So it's now a couple of weeks before school begins....both Canada and USA are having their respective tryout weekends, and the cover page on USCHO Women's hockey is from March 29!! Seriously! Not one story out there to be written on the women's game in 5 months? Somehow I don't find the effort put forth at all....
            So ask for a refund.

Comment

This complaint appears every 4 years or so...Just the way it is.
              Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Not that it reaches the same level but should women accept .76 cents to a man's dollar earned? Why is it that movie trailers always show the male star's name but not the female lead? I'm sure that every woman can give more examples of inequalities....why accept that the coverage isn't what it might be? I thought the reason for a chat board was to bring up sh*t to talk about.....go back to sleep for another month....sorry to wake you!

Comment

Not that it reaches the same level but should women accept .76 cents to a man's dollar earned? Why is it that movie trailers always show the male star's name but not the female lead? I'm sure that every woman can give more examples of inequalities....why accept that the coverage isn't what it might be? I thought the reason for a chat board was to bring up sh*t to talk about.....go back to sleep for another month....sorry to wake you!
                  You're right. It doesn't reach the same level. It's not even in the same stratosphere.

This is a FREE college hockey website staffed primarily if not entirely by volunteers. If you want new content in the summer then feel free to volunteer and help create some. USCHO doesn't owe you anything.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                    You're right. It doesn't reach the same level. It's not even in the same stratosphere.

This is a FREE college hockey website staffed primarily if not entirely by volunteers. If you want new content in the summer then feel free to volunteer and help create some. USCHO doesn't owe you anything.
                    The problem as I see it is that USCHO wants to have it both ways. They want us to believe that they are serious journalists who cover college hockey. They want us to believe that their operation ought to be taken seriously as people who cover the sport, not just as a bunch of volunteers but as professionals.

My problems with their operation go back a long ways, pretty much to the founding of the website. Adam Wodon (back when he was a part of USCHO) and I got into some heated discussions about it. Several others people who are still a part of the operation objected to my comments without ever offering rebuttals that actually addressed what I was saying. The issues with the website's coverage of women's hockey are pretty much at the bottom of the list of ways that I think USCHO's self image bears no resemblance at all to the reality of what they produce. But it is emblematic of the problems.

Either they're a bunch of volunteers who owe us nothing or they are people we should take seriously as the leading source of coverage of NCAA hockey. They can't be both, at least not as they themselves have defined their role. (Though, admittedly, they could be neither. They could be, as I have argued elsewhere, people who desperately want to be journalists but have gotten way too close to those they are supposed to be covering.) But the defense you are offering is a cop out.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                      The problem as I see it is that USCHO wants to have it both ways. They want us to believe that they are serious journalists who cover college hockey. They want us to believe that their operation ought to be taken seriously as people who cover the sport, not just as a bunch of volunteers but as professionals.

My problems with their operation go back a long ways, pretty much to the founding of the website. Adam Wodon (back when he was a part of USCHO) and I got into some heated discussions about it. Several others people who are still a part of the operation objected to my comments without ever offering rebuttals that actually addressed what I was saying. The issues with the website's coverage of women's hockey are pretty much at the bottom of the list of ways that I think USCHO's self image bears no resemblance at all to the reality of what they produce. But it is emblematic of the problems.

Either they're a bunch of volunteers who owe us nothing or they are people we should take seriously as the leading source of coverage of NCAA hockey. They can't be both, at least not as they themselves have defined their role. (Though, admittedly, they could be neither. They could be, as I have argued elsewhere, people who desperately want to be journalists but have gotten way too close to those they are supposed to be covering.) But the defense you are offering is a cop out.
                      Sorry but if you want to come on here and expect something for free without offering any way to make it better, then you don't deserve to complain about the product you're receiving.

If you don't like the content, offer a way to help produce more content, or go find another free website where you can get more/better content for the price you're paying currently. Beeyatching about a lack of content, during the offseason, when you're not willing to contribute anything yourself is really pointless.

Comment

We're in the off-season, and other than speculation and gossip there's not a lot happening or much real news to write about. Beyond this site, the amount of coverage (pub) devoted to men's vs. women's college hockey is roughly proportional to the average attendance of men's vs. women's hockey. Although I'm a big fan of the women's game, this seems fair to me.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Beyond this site, the amount of coverage (pub) devoted to men's vs. women's college hockey is roughly proportional to the average attendance of men's vs. women's hockey. Although I'm a big fan of the women's game, this seems fair to me.
                          That entirely depends on which is driving which. If more coverage would result in more attendance, maybe we, as a hockey community, should be more proactive.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                            That entirely depends on which is driving which.
                            Powers &8^]
                            A classic "Chicken and Egg" argument, which in this case, one could argue, has merit. But the counter-argument is, "at the end of the day" if the game is truly compelling enough the fans will come, and the publicity will follow. We began to see some evidence of this towards the end of last season here in the Twin Cities, as the Gophers' winning streak continued and ultimately resulted in a second-straight national title. Hopefully the fan base and the corresponding level of 'pub' will continue to grow this season.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post

But yet colleges and university's consider USCHO a legit media source and recognize their USCHO All Americans in March. I don't agree at all with that. Same with sites like D3hockey.com
                              These "volunteers" have no idea who players are and go by what SID's have to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X