X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVI

Originally posted by HockeyBum View Post
    I'm looking for some information from Denver area locals. I'll be going to Denver January 10-12 on a dual-purpose trip. The plan is to arrive in Denver Friday morning, do a little sightseeing during the day, and then catch the SCSU/Denver game on Friday night. Saturday morning I'll be driving to Longmont for a hobby show, and then Saturday night I'll go to the 2nd game.

I'm currently trying to find a somewhat affordable hotel, but I'm not sure what area to look in. Something centrally located with easy access to Magness, Longmont, and the airport would be ideal, but I don't know the area and don't want to end up in a sketchy part of town. Do you guys have any advice on areas to look at?
    Downtown (can sometimes get good deals on weekends), Cherry Creek, Westminster (thought there's not much up there IMO), and maybe Stapleton would be areas to look in.
    University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
    Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      CC sucks on spec.
      Not having seen Colorado College play this season I will defer to your assessment that CC sucks on spec, on a more substantive basis I will add that DU sucks on the ice.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled banter........blah blah blah blah.....Gold Pan....blah blah blah blah....Gold Pan.....blah blah blah blah....Gold Pan....blah blah blah blah....
      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Observations from Saturday night:

At times, especially in the 2nd period, I saw a high level of energy from DU, which was promising. Unfortunately, without any go-to forwards right now, it just results in some pressure, and no quality chances on goal. Great that our d-men are scoring, but that's not going to cut it over the course of the season. Larazza will likely be one of the big factors in determining how this season goes. Hopefully he can contribute right away when he returns.

Sam's softie was a really bad goal to give up. He bailed out DU a couple of times during the game, but that goal was a killer.

What was up in the OT??? DU looked completely flat footed. Perhaps losing 3 times in OT previously had them playing not to lose. They looked like they were skating in slush.

So it doesn't look awesome right now. But if there is a bright spot, it's that 4 games have gone to OT, so it's not like DU is getting shellacked. Team just needs to find some kind of identity.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
          Well, let's see, DU's administration has worked diligently and successfully to alienate various sectors of its fanbase...the forwards can't score....there's an unhealthy overreliance on scoring from the blue line...Steve Miller will be leaving shortly...the Johnny-Come-Lately Denver hockey program has failed to compete against the college hockey powers which are Nebraska-Omaha and Canisius...the decision to dismiss George Gwozdecky seems to be working splendidly...the Pioneers have choked on their own vomit in Magness versus the Mavericks and Golden Griffins and haven't yet played Saint Cloud, Miami or North Dakota on the road...actual attendance at last night's game was in the thirty-five to thirty-eight hundred range with next to no student body presence.

DU bumbled another tradition – Parents Weekend. Many of the player's parents felt the University was disorganized this year and left with more questions than support of the hockey program. The University still hasn’t addressed Coach Gwozdecky’s termination and parents are not satisfied with a brush off of their concerns. Coach Miller’s departure only heightens their concern with the hockey program and their son’s role on the team. Ineptitude in programing the weekend events combined with an empty arena left many wondering if the University still cares about the hockey program. Many were concerned that academics has taken a back seat. Yes, parents understand that most of team will go pro in something other than hockey and the significance of needing to do well academically. The Coach and administration appeared lackadaisical other than meeting minimum standards. Not what a parent wants to hear and certainly not how these kids were recruited. For those with a son that may have a shot of turning pro, the dismal start to the season left them discussing whether they made the right choice to come/stay at DU and whether options such as major juniors or transferring to another University would be a better choice in the future.

Comment

I'm looking for some information from Denver area locals. I'll be going to Denver January 10-12 on a dual-purpose trip. The plan is to arrive in Denver Friday morning, do a little sightseeing during the day, and then catch the SCSU/Denver game on Friday night. Saturday morning I'll be driving to Longmont for a hobby show, and then Saturday night I'll go to the 2nd game.

I'm currently trying to find a somewhat affordable hotel, but I'm not sure what area to look in. Something centrally located with easy access to Magness, Longmont, and the airport would be ideal, but I don't know the area and don't want to end up in a sketchy part of town. Do you guys have any advice on areas to look at?
            Use hotwire.com

Only pick the four star hotels or higher. There is one in Cherry Creek and two in the Denver Tech Center that weekend between $63-83 per night.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              Use hotwire.com

Only pick the four star hotels or higher. There is one in Cherry Creek and two in the Denver Tech Center that weekend between $63-83 per night.
              HoosierPioneer & dggoddard... thanks for the responses. The Cherry Creek area sounds like a good location. I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBossMan View Post
                DU bumbled another tradition – Parents Weekend. Many of the player's parents felt the University was disorganized this year and left with more questions than support of the hockey program. The University still hasn’t addressed Coach Gwozdecky’s termination and parents are not satisfied with a brush off of their concerns. Coach Miller’s departure only heightens their concern with the hockey program and their son’s role on the team. Ineptitude in programing the weekend events combined with an empty arena left many wondering if the University still cares about the hockey program. Many were concerned that academics has taken a back seat. Yes, parents understand that most of team will go pro in something other than hockey and the significance of needing to do well academically. The Coach and administration appeared lackadaisical other than meeting minimum standards. Not what a parent wants to hear and certainly not how these kids were recruited. For those with a son that may have a shot of turning pro, the dismal start to the season left them discussing whether they made the right choice to come/stay at DU and whether options such as major juniors or transferring to another University would be a better choice in the future.
                How many parents did you talk to, and what was the setting? Seems kinda odd that they would talk to you as such a close confidant, doesn't it? Do you have a kid on the hockey team, or did you just crash the parents' weekend events?

Also, on what basis has coach Montgomery established any kind of a record on academics in his couple of month on the job?

As to parents' weekend activities--what have they done in the past, and how was this year different?

Comment

HoosierPioneer & dggoddard... thanks for the responses. The Cherry Creek area sounds like a good location. I'll check it out.
                  I often recommend the Magnolia Hotel downtown--really nice suite-style rooms. I get emails that adverstise these at around 129 on promotion, not sure what they are regularly. This would put you right in the middle of downtown, and steps away from the light rail station where you could catch the light rail to the DU games. Also, they have a happy hour every night with free wine and beer, free breakfast, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                    I often recommend the Magnolia Hotel downtown--really nice suite-style rooms. I get emails that adverstise these at around 129 on promotion, not sure what they are regularly. This would put you right in the middle of downtown, and steps away from the light rail station where you could catch the light rail to the DU games. Also, they have a happy hour every night with free wine and beer, free breakfast, too.
                    I'd agree with this call. It also reminds me that there are a number of hotels with DU rates: http://www.du.edu/communityvisitors/...rs/hotels.html
                    University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                    Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                      I'd agree with this call. It also reminds me that there are a number of hotels with DU rates: http://www.du.edu/communityvisitors/...rs/hotels.html

DU Grilling Society

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBossMan View Post
                        I will look into this and see how extensive these reported problems are.

Parents' Weekend was my dad's brainchild and is one of his legacies. He and my mom (plus a few others) organized the weekend for the first 23 years, until my dad's passing 5 years back.

I will be extremely unhappy if they have botched, in just five years, what my dad built.

Comment

We may not have a mascot but we have a shield. http://www.du.edu/explore/shield.html I suppose the image of Ritchie tower is supposed to make hockey fans feel all warm and fuzzy. I just don’t feel a connection to the shield but then again I don’t feel a connection to the Daniels School of Business either. Neither the Daniels School nor the Ritchie Center existed during my time at DU. The best part of rolling out the shield at the hockey game is the song that plays during DU’s NCAA commercial – Rocky Mountain High. I’m betting that Chancellor Coombe is a big John Denver fan and didn’t notice a connection to Colorado’s recent legalization of marijuana.

Comment

The best part of rolling out the shield at the hockey game is the song that plays during DU’s NCAA commercial – Rocky Mountain High. I’m betting that Chancellor Coombe is a big John Denver fan and didn’t notice a connection to Colorado’s recent legalization of marijuana.
                            And here I was thinking it had to do with mountains and our high elevation.

Definitely the kind of connection that DU administration misses on a regular basis.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

We may not have a mascot but we have a shield. http://www.du.edu/explore/shield.html I suppose the image of Ritchie tower is supposed to make hockey fans feel all warm and fuzzy. I just don’t feel a connection to the shield but then again I don’t feel a connection to the Daniels School of Business either....
                              I like the plethora of information available to you when you click on the 'shield' link from that page.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                I will look into this and see how extensive these reported problems are.

Parents' Weekend was my dad's brainchild and is one of his legacies. He and my mom (plus a few others) organized the weekend for the first 23 years, until my dad's passing 5 years back.

I will be extremely unhappy if they have botched, in just five years, what my dad built.
                                Chris, I think we're deeply into "consider the source" territory here. On the other hand, what they did for the parents should have been done (and wasn't) for the '68 & '69 NC teams. If there was a competition each year for the school that does the least to honor its athletic accomplishments and traditions, DU would be the runaway winner every time.
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X