This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVI

Szmatula has appealed to the NCAA to the released from NLI at Northeastern. (7/18/13)
    http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...tula_still.php
    (He wouldn't be "transferring" to DU since he isn't a NU student.)

NLI website says contract is with school not coach.
    Extenuating circumstance--not really
    Should lose the NLI appeal.

1. He can come to DU and pay tuition for a year. Oh, and NOT play and lose a year of eligibility
    2. DU can still give him a scholie to practice with team, but NOT play and lose a year of eligibility.
    In either case he would be a sophomore beginning his college career just a few months short of his 23rd birthday.

With only 18 scholies available that seems highly unlikely to me. Pios do not have such a long bench filled with walk-ons and boyz on other forms of financial aid that spending $ on a practice player makes sense. And what's to say he wouldn't change his mind again if a pro offer came calling? I think this could set a bad precedent for the program. IMHO it would smell like Coach Monty contacted him knowing full well he has a NLI and could be exposure for some sort of NCAA penalty. Not Good!
    Last edited by vizoroo; 07-20-2013, 01:11 PM.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Duhockeyfan99;5751069]I am a college lacrosse fan first, college hockey fan second, but love both.

In the lacrosse world right now, there is a lot of discussion (mostly negative) about young players verbally committing to top colleges. -I am most interested in hearing what the current timeline is for the top 8th and 9th graders in hockey. Are college hockey coaches commiting 8th graders at a strong rate right now or is the 8th grader from Nobles a unique case?

On another note that I find interesting- the college coaches in lacrosse are beginning to follow hockey (way behind) but commiting kids for either "2016 or 2017" and telling them to PG in the NE prep ranks or come early if [QUOTE]

I think Pios have commitment(s) for 2015.
      If the Pios were going after 8th graders, why don't we have a verbal from Baker Shore? After all he's closing in on 14.
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        Szmatula has appealed to the NCAA to the released from NLI at Northeastern. (7/18/13)

1. He can come to DU and pay tuition for a year. Oh, and NOT play and lose a year of eligibility
        2. DU can still give him a scholie to practice with team, but NOT play and lose a year of eligibility.
        In either case he would be a sophomore beginning his college career just a few months short of his 23rd birthday.

With only 18 scholies available that seems highly unlikely to me. Pios do not have such a long bench filled with walk-ons and boyz on other forms of financial aid that spending $ on a practice player makes sense. And what's to say he wouldn't change his mind again if a pro offer came calling? I think this could set a bad precedent for the program. IMHO it would smell like Coach Monty contacted him knowing full well he has a NLI and could be exposure for some sort of NCAA penalty. Not Good!
        Some of us remember how the NC$$ screwed DU to the wall years ago. And we're not anxious to give those b*stards another shot at us. They might want to retroactively apply another "rule."
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

And what's to say he wouldn't change his mind again if a pro offer came calling? I think this could set a bad precedent for the program. IMHO it would smell like Coach Monty contacted him knowing full well he has a NLI and could be exposure for some sort of NCAA penalty. Not Good!
          Some good points. It is my understanding that he has already been turned down once in his appeal. If he is not released from his NLI, I'm not sure that Denver can actually award him a hockey scholarship or that he will be allowed to practice with the team during his freshman year.

As for changing his mind after he arrives in Denver: It's a real possibility given his history. He'll be 22 before he plays his first game, and will probably hear the clock ticking down on his pro career. If he is as good as he's supposed to be, he'll be a two year player at NU or a one year player for the Pios. What a prize!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
            Some good points. It is my understanding that he has already been turned down once in his appeal. If he is not released from his NLI, I'm not sure that Denver can actually award him a hockey scholarship or that he will be allowed to practice with the team during his freshman year.

As for changing his mind after he arrives in Denver: It's a real possibility given his history. He'll be 22 before he plays his first game, and will probably hear the clock ticking down on his pro career. If he is as good as he's supposed to be, he'll be a two year player at NU or a one year player for the Pios. What a prize!
            Just double checked on the NLI site and yes, he could practice with the team and get athletic aid for the one year in residence. Somehow that does seem wrong, but true. If he really wants to play at DU, get a student loan, pay your way for that year

How to invalidate NLI:
            Get a release
            Military sevice-2 to 3 years
            Junior College--must graduate, i.e. 2 years to invalidate NLI
            Think a 1 year Mormon mission could invalidate the NLI. (You probably have to be Mormon)

Basically if you want to play Division I hockey in 2013-14, you live up to your commitment or get a release or win your appeal which seems highly unlikely based on following your Juniors coach.

"CollegeHockeyRink Report" who writes for SBNation is very positive Szmatula won't attend NU.

Since Coach Monty signed Evan Janssen on that trip to Dubuque, Szmatula was not the purpose of the trip. Coach knew he had signed with NU and no further recruiting was allowed. I am going to to believe Sz was the initiater/instigator of this drama.
            GO DU !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
              My friend Frank Daly's only start.
              I once went to a party at Mark Gale's house which most players attended. The boys took their false teeth out at parties . Someone put them all in a jar of water so they would have try them on to find their own choppers. Gale's cousin was my friend in NJ, so I got to hang with hockey royalty for a night in 68-69 season. Even a immature freshman like myself could feel the aura of Maggie in the room.
              Last edited by thedunker; 07-21-2013, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Why is #20 Wade Bennett listed on roster @ the DU website? I thought he had a career-ending injury - or am I wrong and he's going to make a run for it now? By my calculations the following recruits are "status unknown". If someone knows otherwise, please correct me and elaborate:

Chatham
                Neville
                Pigozzi
                Romig
                Smith
                Ogard
                I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                  Why is #20 Wade Bennett listed on roster @ the DU website? I thought he had a career-ending injury - or am I wrong and he's going to make a run for it now? By my calculations the following recruits are "status unknown". If someone knows otherwise, please correct me and elaborate:

Chatham
                  Neville
                  Pigozzi
                  Romig
                  Smith
                  Ogard
                  Chatham - signed in the OHL, not coming to DU
                  Neville - coming to DU
                  Pigozzi - coming to DU
                  Romig - coming to DU
                  Smith - coming to DU
                  Ogard - coming to DU

These 5 players have not signed NLI's as you only sign them if you are going to receive scholie money.

Looks like a mistake on the DU website with regards to Wade Bennett, it also lists him as a frosh. Until all the recruited walk-ons show up on campus the roster won't be complete.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Thanks 78; so let me ask you this @ Beau.... no, he's not a freshman; but he is a DU student; couldn't he , in essence, try out for the team and be considered a "walk on"? Or any student, for that matter? I only ask because I don't know
                    I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

• Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                      Thanks 78; so let me ask you this @ Beau.... no, he's not a freshman; but he is a DU student; couldn't he , in essence, try out for the team and be considered a "walk on"? Or any student, for that matter? I only ask because I don't know
                      He could but his hip is too bad. He is a student assistant coach.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Patrick Wiercioch just signed a three-year deal with Ottawa and just got married. Congrats to Pat!!!

Pat's contract reportedly averages $2 million per year.

http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpos...id=DL|OTT|home

Here he is signing the contract.

https://twitter.com/NHL_Sens/status/359352259609497600

Paul Stastny and Beau Bennett named to Team USA National Team Orientation Camp Roster. Surprisingly, no Matt Carle.

http://olympics.usahockey.com/news_a...1?referrer_id=
                        Last edited by du78; 07-22-2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                          Patrick Wiercioch just signed a three-year deal with Ottawa and just got married. Congrats to Pat!!!

Pat's contract reportedly averages $2 million per year.

http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpos...id=DL|OTT|home

Here he is signing the contract.

https://twitter.com/NHL_Sens/status/359352259609497600

Paul Stastny and Beau Bennett named to Team USA National Team Orientation Camp Roster. Surprisingly, no Matt Carle.

http://olympics.usahockey.com/news_a...1?referrer_id=
                          The new Mrs. Wiercioch is former DU vollyball player, Kreeson Vreeman. Best wishes to both of them.

According to Puck Daddy, Matt had a terrible year , but thought he still might get an invite.
                          Perhaps if had been dynamite at the World Championships, but that wasn't the case.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

The new Mrs. Wiercioch is former DU vollyball player, Kreeson Vreeman. Best wishes to both of them.

According to Puck Daddy, Matt had a terrible year , but thought he still might get an invite.
                            Perhaps if had been dynamite at the World Championships, but that wasn't the case.
                            Yeah, congratulations all 'round. Kreeson must be a remarkable young lady. It's undoubtedly her influence that got Patrick to stop faking those knee injuries.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              Yeah, congratulations all 'round. Kreeson must be a remarkable young lady. It's undoubtedly her influence that got Patrick to stop faking those knee injuries.
                              As I recall, Suze blamed Gwozdecky for Wiercioch's fake knee injury. She also mentioned that Kreeson was faking an undisclosed volleyball injury, and that Gwozdecky was faking concern over all of these fake injuries.

Comment

Paul Phillips just signed with the Colorado Eagles.

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports...aul?source=rss

Comment

Working...
                                X