PDA

View Full Version : UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47

UML Puck Hawk
02-08-2016, 04:08 PM
Plus I heard Sifferlen had never been extended a NLI from UML so he would've basically been a walk-on anyway.

Not sure thats how NLI's work for hockey. With partial scholarships and whatnot I figured unless they were getting $$$ their freshman year they couldn't and wouldn't be signing an NLI. I don't really know much on this, anyone care to chime in?

UMLFan
02-10-2016, 09:02 AM
Lowell commint Garrett Metcalf ('16) was traded to Waterloo from Madison (https://waterlooblackhawks.com/2016/02/waterloo-deals-for-anaheim-prospect/) (both USHL) yesterday. Good move up for the kid, as he now winds up in the playoff hunt. Madison still has LeClerc and Lohin, both '16 commits for Lowell.

MCWarrior1011
02-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Good move for him. He'll excel and be a superstar there. Wasn't progressing and developing enough for DI so good fit for him.

This is what drives me crazy sometimes. No offense to you, riverchief1, but you say "he wasn't progressing and developing enough for D1"

That lets the coaching staff off the hook and puts the blame entirely on the player. How about they recruited and committed a kid? It's certainly partially the player's fault but I don't like letting coaches off the hook. They made a mistake in recruiting him.

UML Puck Hawk
02-10-2016, 11:39 AM
This is what drives me crazy sometimes. No offense to you, riverchief1, but you say "he wasn't progressing and developing enough for D1"

That lets the coaching staff off the hook and puts the blame entirely on the player. How about they recruited and committed a kid? It's certainly partially the player's fault but I don't like letting coaches off the hook. They made a mistake in recruiting him.

Right, so they're allowed to tell him he won't be getting any playing time if he shows up.

MCWarrior1011
02-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Right, so they're allowed to tell him he won't be getting any playing time if he shows up.

I think it would be more like, they told him he wasn't going to get the money they promised him. You can't get on UML too much for it because they rarely do it though. It's more a problem with teams that do it all of the time.

UML Puck Hawk
02-10-2016, 06:57 PM
I think it would be more like, they told him he wasn't going to get the money they promised him. You can't get on UML too much for it because they rarely do it though. It's more a problem with teams that do it all of the time.

Yeah, I am not going to jump to that conclusion. Call me a homer, but I prefer to think the staff made a determination that they did not think he would make a big contribution (he could be great, who knows), and communicated that to him. Since hes from Mass, and was probably a good student, I am sure they could get him academic aid to support him if he wanted to come here, but he probably wants to play hockey.

MCWarrior1011
02-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I am not going to jump to that conclusion. Call me a homer, but I prefer to think the staff made a determination that they did not think he would make a big contribution (he could be great, who knows), and communicated that to him. Since hes from Mass, and was probably a good student, I am sure they could get him academic aid to support him if he wanted to come here, but he probably wants to play hockey.

I am sure he would rather play, even if just told the playing time might not be there. But I have never heard of a coach telling a kid "hey kid, you can come here and keep your scholarship, but you're going to have to really work to play because you're not good enough." The whole reason they do it is to get the money back, right? But I am just guessing. No one knows obviously.

boblav1
02-10-2016, 07:05 PM
4 Forwards, 1 Defenseman, and a goalie to replace 5 forwards (although Fallon/Francis basically count as 1 everyday forward), no D, and 1 Goalie. [for 2016]

So do the Hawks bring in a couple more forwards for next season? If my count is right, with the current recruits and if everyone comes back, I have the roster currently at 27 (15 F,9 D, 3 G). The past few seasons they have at least started the season with 17 forwards.

Middle Street
02-10-2016, 10:07 PM
I am sure he would rather play, even if just told the playing time might not be there. But I have never heard of a coach telling a kid "hey kid, you can come here and keep your scholarship, but you're going to have to really work to play because you're not good enough." The whole reason they do it is to get the money back, right? But I am just guessing. No one knows obviously.

They do it to give the money to another player. If the coaching staff is being fair, they have to evaluate the abilities of all of the players, and an in ideal situation the "best" players on the team would be the ones getting the most scholarship money.

I'm sure it doesn't always work that way, and maybe the players don't even think about this, but I would think a kid who is playing better and getting either a partial scholarship or no scholarship might resent a teammate who doesn't dress most games and is getting a full ride.

leswp1
02-11-2016, 09:04 AM

?? It is a crap shoot anytime a player is recruited. It isn't like Rec sports where everyone has the promise to play. (not said in a snarky way) Depending on the chemistry (or lack of it) the system shifts and players get left out even after they get to the school. I would respect that he is aware he wouldn't play, or would have a minor role and decided to go somewhere else to play.

The commit at a very young age or commit for 2-3 yrs down the line has changed the landscape of the recruiting environment. How can you promise something 2 or even 4 yrs down the road. There are kids committing before they are even fully through puberty. If they keep developing then great but what if they plateau? Coaching staff changes. The make up of the team, even when they are recruited to fill certain roles, may change as things develop over time. Players and their sometimes overly ambitious parents try to make an educated guess to maximize the benefits for themselves just like the coaches do.

MCWarrior1011
02-11-2016, 09:37 AM
?? It is a crap shoot anytime a player is recruited. It isn't like Rec sports where everyone has the promise to play. (not said in a snarky way) Depending on the chemistry (or lack of it) the system shifts and players get left out even after they get to the school. I would respect that he is aware he wouldn't play, or would have a minor role and decided to go somewhere else to play.

The commit at a very young age or commit for 2-3 yrs down the line has changed the landscape of the recruiting environment. How can you promise something 2 or even 4 yrs down the road. There are kids committing before they are even fully through puberty. If they keep developing then great but what if they plateau? Coaching staff changes. The make up of the team, even when they are recruited to fill certain roles, may change as things develop over time. Players and their sometimes overly ambitious parents try to make an educated guess to maximize the benefits for themselves just like the coaches do.

I agree, early recruiting doesn't help anyone. I'd love to see the NCAA put in rules to change that, but they are too busy rolling around in the cash from the hoops and football television contracts.

UMLFan
02-11-2016, 10:04 AM
So do the Hawks bring in a couple more forwards for next season? If my count is right, with the current recruits and if everyone comes back, I have the roster currently at 27 (15 F,9 D, 3 G). The past few seasons they have at least started the season with 17 forwards.
Here's how I had it as of a while back.

Havenít done this in a while, and really should set up a new thread since weíre two years past what this thread was for, but Iím being lazy today.

16/17 Roster
Defense (9):
Senior: Michael Kapla, Dylan Zink
Juniors: Chris Forney, Tyler Mueller, Tommy Panico
Sophomores: Avni Berisha, Niklas Folin, Jacob Townsend
Freshman: Mattias Goransson

Forwards (15):
Seniors: Evan Campbell, Joe Gambardella
Juniors: Ryan Collins, John Edwardh, Gage Hough, Jake Kamrass, Mike Louria, CJ Smith
Sophomores: Ryan Dmowski, Nick Master, Connor Wilson
Freshmen: Guillaume LeClerc, Ryan Lohin, Colin OíNeill, James Winkler

Goalies (3):
Sophomores: Sean Cleary, Chris Hernberg
Freshman: Garrett Metcalf

This leaves us at 27 on the roster (28 currently for the 15/16 season), with the class breakdown for 2016/2017 being:
Seniors: 4
Juniors: 9
Sophomores: 8
Freshmen: 6

Looking ahead a couple of years:

17/18 roster

Defense (9):
Senior: Chris Forney, Tyler Mueller, Tommy Panico
Juniors: Avni Berisha, Niklas Folin, Jacob Townsend
Sophomore: Mattias Goransson
Freshmen: Cale List, Trevor Zins

Forwards (13):
Seniors: Ryan Collins, John Edwardh, Gage Hough, Jake Kamrass, Mike Louria, CJ Smith
Juniors: Ryan Dmowski, Nick Master, Connor Wilson
Sophomores: Guillaume LeClerc, Ryan Lohin, Colin OíNeill, James Winkler
Freshmen:

Goalies (3):
Juniors: Sean Cleary, Chris Hernberg
Sophomore: Garrett Metcalf

This leaves us at 25 on the, with the class breakdown for 2017/2018 being:
Seniors: 9
Juniors: 8
Sophomores: 6
Freshmen: 2

UMLFan
02-16-2016, 10:08 AM
Ex-Lowell player Jeff Smith has committed to SCSU.

boblav1
02-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Ex-Lowell player Jeff Smith has committed to SCSU.

Good luck to him. It looks like he's having a decent season, currently fourth in the BCHL.

http://bchl.ca/goalie-stats

boblav1
02-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Sifferlen officially no longer committed to UMass Lowell. Wish him nothing but best. He'll make a very good d3 or Atlantic player.

Eagle Tribune article on Sifferlen.
http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/sifferlen-bound-for-umass-boston/article_8a4ac27f-69e3-5f6b-88a4-7cc001e48a9b.html

UMLFan
02-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Maine adds their third 2018 commitment in the last 3 weeks. We have only two ... for 2017.

boblav1
02-23-2016, 08:15 PM
Maine adds their third 2018 commitment in the last 3 weeks. We have only two ... for 2017.

Here's the total number of recruits currently listed on the Heisenberg site for each Hockey East school.

UVM - 24
NU - 23
Maine - 22
ND - 21
PC - 21
BC - 20
BU - 19
UMA - 15
UNH - 14
MC - 13
UConn - 11
UML - 8

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-ceKPgs6ciF5BIvnMMYiKzOY5yDBrjdq9ceiPvSdNIc/edit#gid=449700034

UML Puck Hawk
02-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Is there any chance commitments are coming and the players are just not reporting them to their junior teams? I am pulling at straws here, that number is frightening..

riverchief1
02-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Is there any chance commitments are coming and the players are just not reporting them to their junior teams? I am pulling at straws here, that number is frightening..

Welcome to the world of UML recruiting. Drives us nuts but you can't argue with five straight 20 win seasons. One would think that during this stretch we'd be picking up a few more, drawn to the program's success, but Bazin plays his system and only certain types of players fit it. Just my opinion.

Patman
02-23-2016, 08:31 PM

well, supposedly that's been Norm's thing... supposedly... I honestly dont get it... I really really don't get it