UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Recruit Colin O'Neill's brother commits to UNH.

Jason O'Neill (DOB 3/23/97) a 5'11"' 170 forward on the Skipjacks Hockey Club 18U team has committed to UNH. So far this season, O'Neill has scored 5 goals and 3 assists in 7 games. Last April, US Hockey Report said:

"O’Neill is a skilled forward who has good size and a fluid stride. His older brother, Colin, is committed to UMass-Lowell and there is no reason why Jason couldn’t do the same. Like many players here, he is thin and lacks physical maturity, but over the next few years could develop into an excellent player. His hands are slick and smooth -- and he shoots to score. This past season he recorded a 28-33-61 line in 30 games at the U16 level."

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      Recruit Colin O'Neill's brother commits to UNH.

Jason O'Neill (DOB 3/23/97) a 5'11"' 170 forward on the Skipjacks Hockey Club 18U team has committed to UNH. So far this season, O'Neill has scored 5 goals and 3 assists in 7 games. Last April, US Hockey Report said:

"O’Neill is a skilled forward who has good size and a fluid stride. His older brother, Colin, is committed to UMass-Lowell and there is no reason why Jason couldn’t do the same. Like many players here, he is thin and lacks physical maturity, but over the next few years could develop into an excellent player. His hands are slick and smooth -- and he shoots to score. This past season he recorded a 28-33-61 line in 30 games at the U16 level."
      What is going on?
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
        What is going on?
        Monty, how DARE you have questions about the lack of recruiting? Who do you think you are, doubting that Norm and his staff can pluck the next Hellebuyck or Folin from the depths of the NAHL? Honestly, the nerve of some Lowell fans...
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

• Originally posted by Patronick View Post
          Monty, how DARE you have questions about the lack of recruiting? Who do you think you are, doubting that Norm and his staff can pluck the next Hellebuyck or Folin from the depths of the NAHL? Honestly, the nerve of some Lowell fans...
          Anyone know if Lowell was actively recruiting him or are we assuming that they were because they are brothers?

Comment

some serious concerns on the talent level this year. Hopefully norm leaves so we can meet recruiting best practices of northeastern or unh and meet your needs, because overall, you clearly know everything about junior hockey and getting "premiere" talent in the door. Still waiting for your recruiting silver bullet... So please, enlighten us all on your plan to land "high caliber 18 y/O talent" in a timetable that fits the "need". Like most complainers, hipsters and the like, complaints run the table... Solutions remain to be seen.
            "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
            make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeytown View Post
              some serious concerns on the talent level this year. Hopefully norm leaves so we can meet recruiting best practices of northeastern or unh and meet your needs, because overall, you clearly know everything about junior hockey and getting "premiere" talent in the door. Still waiting for your recruiting silver bullet... So please, enlighten us all on your plan to land "high caliber 18 y/O talent" in a timetable that fits the "need". Like most complainers, hipsters and the like, complaints run the table... Solutions remain to be seen.
              That sound was my argument going right over your head.

What Monty and I have been saying is there is a real concern regarding the lack of recruits for 2015 and beyond. Lowell is behind every other HE team in this respect. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. What would "meet my needs" is hearing some kids are committing for the next couple of seasons. Let me know how that's unreasonable, and stop being thick.
              Lowell Forever
              Forever Lowell

Comment

That sound was my argument going right over your head.

What Monty and I have been saying is there is a real concern regarding the lack of recruits for 2015 and beyond. Lowell is behind every other HE team in this respect. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. What would "meet my needs" is hearing some kids are committing for the next couple of seasons. Let me know how that's unreasonable, and stop being thick.
                Well, you made a comment to a previous post I made a week or so ago about me not questions norm, or his recruiting process. talk about not understanding.

So, regarding commitments and their timing, how much of it is hidden vs. known? And if we get good talent later in the process, does it matter?
                "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
                make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

Well, you made a comment to a previous post I made a week or so ago about me not questions norm, or his recruiting process. talk about not understanding.

So, regarding commitments and their timing, how much of it is hidden vs. known? And if we get good talent later in the process, does it matter?
                  Sure the results are what matter most, but there's something to be said for an aggressive strategy. I don't expect Lowell to scoop up 16 year olds, but teams are getting to kids earlier and earlier - even if they don't step foot on campus until they're 19. Totally valid point re: hidden vs. known. I think, personally, a lot of that stems from the prior coaching staff and their recruiting process being more public compared to the Bazin Wall. At least it appeared that way to way.

No one on the planet can argue against Bazin's success. Talk about futile. But it doesn't mean we as fans of the team can't kick around ideas, offer opinions and, yes, question moves by the coach/team/university in the spirit of lively debate. My frustration lies in some Lowell fans who suddenly think doing so is some kind of cardinal sin.
                  Lowell Forever
                  Forever Lowell

Comment

The glass is half empty. Don't ruin the fun with logic. I do applaud the consistancy. I could never maintain the level of negativity required to be that cynical . I just give up and watch what is on the ice (which look pretty good so far )

Comment

Sure the results are what matter most, but there's something to be said for an aggressive strategy. I don't expect Lowell to scoop up 16 year olds, but teams are getting to kids earlier and earlier - even if they don't step foot on campus until they're 19. Totally valid point re: hidden vs. known. I think, personally, a lot of that stems from the prior coaching staff and their recruiting process being more public compared to the Bazin Wall. At least it appeared that way to way.

No one on the planet can argue against Bazin's success. Talk about futile. But it doesn't mean we as fans of the team can't kick around ideas, offer opinions and, yes, question moves by the coach/team/university in the spirit of lively debate. My frustration lies in some Lowell fans who suddenly think doing so is some kind of cardinal sin.
                      Ok fair point, and of course you can express your opinion and frustrations. Afterall, I am a fan of this team too, and we have been through rough patches previous to Bazin. I get it.

I also get your point on the frustrations of aggressive recruiting. I mean, my previous thoughts and expectations was to get as many good players in and commited. However, when Norm said three years ago that he will not go after young talent, it got me thinking why. Basically, I think his strategy is let me go after the late, late bloomers so the pool of competing schools is less because of most of their recruiting at that point is fairly non-existent. Let me sell the system, coaching and school and do all that is possible to get them here. I think another strategy that hrs overlooked is the amount of transfers norm brings in. To me, while a fraction, part of the overall strategy.

Bottom line, somehow, someway he brings in talent that meets my expectation on the ice. And whether they come today or the day before the season starts is ok by this fan.

Edit: I think we both agree too that there is some silence of current recruits. I like your practice -" Bazin wall". Well played
                      Last edited by hawkeytown; 10-18-2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Patronick's done a pretty good job of commenting on our side of the argument. But I want to add a couple of things.

First of all, I've never said we need to go and bring in the 17/18 year old freshmen. I'd love to see it, but I know it's not realistic for a school at our level. I just don't want a ton of 21 year old freshmen. That's been my side of things. I also notice that Merrimack has 4 commitments for 2016. UMass has 5 for 2016 and later. We have one. I'll admit that surprises me, since I would think that a team that's been in 3 straight NCAA Tournaments would capitalize on that more.

And in regards to the late commitments, yes, of course those will exist. But let's not go overboard on the argument either. Two of the 2015 recruits committed 3 years prior to stepping on the Lowell campus. So it's not like it doesn't happen.

There is on-ice happiness, but that doesn't preclude that Lowell hockey isn't just a one-year at a time view. At least not for me.
                        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I think in the end we're just looking for progression and knowing we're progressing.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

USHL stuff from tonight. Nick Master had a goal for Tri-City in a 4-3 shootout loss.

Ryan Dmowski had an assist for Des Moines in a 5-3 win.

Chicago's Tyler Sifferlen had no points, and now has gone 6 straight games without a point, after a goal in his first game. Chicago lost 4-3.

Omaha's Nick Folin had a power play goal in a 4-3 loss.

Ryan Lohin had an assist, Guillaume LeClerc was held without a point in Madison's loss.

In the NAHL, Colin O'Neill had no points in Aberdeen's loss.
                            Monty

Comment

According to the line charts posted last night for the BU/U18 game, there are two players on the U18 who haven't committed yet. Auston Matthews (11, 4-12-16). He's a 97 birthdate playing center and then there's Caleb Jones (11, 0-5-5). He's a 6 foot defenseman, also a '97. One can hope.

And I think the argument that Lowell should be in the running for these players is legit because UCONN, Western Michigan, and Harvard (3 players) have all received commitments from the U18 team.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                                According to the line charts posted last night for the BU/U18 game, there are two players on the U18 who haven't committed yet. Auston Matthews (11, 4-12-16). He's a 97 birthdate playing center and then there's Caleb Jones (11, 0-5-5). He's a 6 foot defenseman, also a '97. One can hope.

And I think the argument that Lowell should be in the running for these players is legit because UCONN, Western Michigan, and Harvard (3 players) have all received commitments from the U18 team.
                                From twitter regarding Matthews.
                                Mark Divver‏@MarkDivver
                                '97 C Auston Matthews of NTDP tells me he's 50/50 on college vs. WHL. Says he's talking to BC, BU, Denver, Michigan.

Comment

Working...
                                X