UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

CHN article. The Gentleman's Agreement: What Now?

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      Just realized he will be 22 before he finishes his freshman year. Yikes.
      So overall, some of the Riverhawk Fans on this board are dissatisfied that:
      -Our coaching staff recruits 20-21 year old Freshmen
      -We are late in the game to gather “top” recruits

So, while I “kinda” understand people’s frustrations, at the same time Norm did say that he would not go after the top "young" recruits in the country. He also mentioned that majority of his focus will be on older players that fit his system. So, frankly, I am not at all surprised with his approach thus far.

This is the same assistant that has recruited not one, but two hobey baker winners at Colorado College. Recruited Ron Hainsey and Ed McGrane (during his first UML coaching stint), and as a UML coach was "part" of the recruiting for Connor Hellebuyck, Christian Folin, etc.

So to the complainers out there “what would you change”? How would you get BC’s freshmen class of Colin White, Chris Brown or Casey Fitzgerald in here to play hockey in 2015? I am interested how you would get these guys to:
      1. Listen
      2. Visit
      3. Commit verbally
      4. Sign

I am not going to question Norm, at all, frankly. And, I don’t blame Norm for getting guys that are older, who develop later in their careers. And if anything, we will get more of those players on a consistent basis because of Norm’s ability to coach and provide positive results. Frankly, that is our wheelhouse for talent.

What's wrong with getting a guy that blossoms layering his career and brings results? And what is wrong finding those guys later in the process?

The guy can certainly coach, and can find the talent that will work for him accurately, with a sense of accountability.

Bottom line – I don’t have an issue with his recruiting. He could have a 26 year old freshman come in this year, and candidly, I could care less. I go to these games to watch us compete AND win, and not sit and complain that Niklas Folin is 21 years old playing hockey for us. Like, when the season starts, do you really care?!

Compete and win…That’s all I care about… and the past three years, that’s been Lowell hockey in Hockey East.
      "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
      make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeytown View Post
        So overall, some of the Riverhawk Fans on this board are dissatisfied that:
        -Our coaching staff recruits 20-21 year old Freshmen
        -We are late in the game to gather “top” recruits

So, while I “kinda” understand people’s frustrations, at the same time Norm did say that he would not go after the top "young" recruits in the country. He also mentioned that majority of his focus will be on older players that fit his system. So, frankly, I am not at all surprised with his approach thus far.

This is the same assistant that has recruited not one, but two hobey baker winners at Colorado College. Recruited Ron Hainsey and Ed McGrane (during his first UML coaching stint), and as a UML coach was "part" of the recruiting for Connor Hellebuyck, Christian Folin, etc.

So to the complainers out there “what would you change”? How would you get BC’s freshmen class of Colin White, Chris Brown or Casey Fitzgerald in here to play hockey in 2015? I am interested how you would get these guys to:
        1. Listen
        2. Visit
        3. Commit verbally
        4. Sign

I am not going to question Norm, at all, frankly. And, I don’t blame Norm for getting guys that are older, who develop later in their careers. And if anything, we will get more of those players on a consistent basis because of Norm’s ability to coach and provide positive results. Frankly, that is our wheelhouse for talent.

What's wrong with getting a guy that blossoms layering his career and brings results? And what is wrong finding those guys later in the process?

The guy can certainly coach, and can find the talent that will work for him accurately, with a sense of accountability.

Bottom line – I don’t have an issue with his recruiting. He could have a 26 year old freshman come in this year, and candidly, I could care less. I go to these games to watch us compete AND win, and not sit and complain that Niklas Folin is 21 years old playing hockey for us. Like, when the season starts, do you really care?!

Compete and win…That’s all I care about… and the past three years, that’s been Lowell hockey in Hockey East.
        Honestly, that's a bad argument put up, pretty much a straw-man actually. Who said we need to recruit like BC? Hell, I was laughing at people here last year who said we should be able to recruit at the BU level. That's not feasible. Also, CC has much more of a DI history than we do.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I don't think it was a bad argument at all. Norm has his strategy and has certain players in mind to fit his system and he has been executing on that. We have to play to our strengths with recruiting, which is going to be a lot of well rounded depth guys with the occasional late developing breakthrough player... Norm realizes that we can win 10 hockey east championships in a row and still not compete for the Eichels of the world, so might as well develop a consistent recruiting strategy that works for us and i think we should all have faith in that.... have you been disappointed with the Folins, McGraths, Campbells, kapla's and Chapie's of the world? Look at BU over the last few years, they have been top heavy with no depth, would you rather be in that boat?

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          Honestly, that's a bad argument put up, pretty much a straw-man actually. Who said we need to recruit like BC? Hell, I was laughing at people here last year who said we should be able to recruit at the BU level. That's not feasible. Also, CC has much more of a DI history than we do.
          "We are all River Hawks"

Comment

UMass Lowell 2014-15 Recruit Update: October 7
            Justin Soderberg
            President and Editor-in-chief, Mill City Sports
            Co-Host, MCS Live Online Radio Show
            Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Email

Comment

Originally posted by UMLKLB View Post
              I don't think it was a bad argument at all. Norm has his strategy and has certain players in mind to fit his system and he has been executing on that. We have to play to our strengths with recruiting, which is going to be a lot of well rounded depth guys with the occasional late developing breakthrough player... Norm realizes that we can win 10 hockey east championships in a row and still not compete for the Eichels of the world, so might as well develop a consistent recruiting strategy that works for us and i think we should all have faith in that.... have you been disappointed with the Folins, McGraths, Campbells, kapla's and Chapie's of the world? Look at BU over the last few years, they have been top heavy with no depth, would you rather be in that boat?
              Exactly right! UMLKLB nailed it.

And UMLFAN, regarding your straw-man comment, this wasn't to you in particular, it was majority of the folks on this board, questioning our coaches ability to get younger players, ability to recruit and timing to recruit, which if I remember correctly, you had "some of those points" in passing. I just happen to grab your quote, as I was lazy.

Botom line... why are people so negative with the recruitng efforts of this team who has won 2 HE championships in a row?
              "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
              make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

Exactly right! UMLKLB nailed it.

And UMLFAN, regarding your straw-man comment, this wasn't to you in particular, it was majority of the folks on this board, questioning our coaches ability to get younger players, ability to recruit and timing to recruit, which if I remember correctly, you had "some of those points" in passing. I just happen to grab your quote, as I was lazy.

Botom line... why are people so negative with the recruitng efforts of this team who has won 2 HE championships in a row?
                Born that way? Back seat driving, coaching, recruiting all get you the same place. Where the driver, coach or recruiter was going in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  Born that way? Back seat driving, coaching, recruiting all get you the same place. Where the driver, coach or recruiter was going in the first place.
                  I will say that the age is creeping upwards whereas the impression if you're doing better recruiting is for the age to slide downwards.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                    Top MC recruit leaves the school/program. Good write up by Mike McMahon.
                    Former Merrimack recruit Austin Plevy Commits to UMass Amherst.
                    http://www.themackreport.com/news/au...clarification/

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      I will say that the age is creeping upwards whereas the impression if you're doing better recruiting is for the age to slide downwards.
                      Why does younger mean better?

Comment

Why does younger mean better?
                        it means the players already have enough talent to play... also implies a higher talent ceiling

edit: I'm interested in taking the best players available, but 21 y/o are certainly pushing it to the limit. It makes me wonder why we're not in play for others.
                        Last edited by Patman; 10-07-2014, 07:48 PM.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          it means the players already have enough talent to play... also implies a higher talent ceiling

edit: I'm interested in taking the best players available, but 21 y/o are certainly pushing it to the limit. It makes me wonder why we're not in play for others.
                          I humbly disagree. What that means is they are showing talent at the moment and their parents are more impressed with cementing an offer than thinking what is best for their children. How many schools are actually doing this?

Pretty strong feelings about this. Read the article which gave a pretty convincing argument why people think it is OK to prostitute these kids out at such young age but really wish the coaches had more ethics. No kid should be deciding what school they are going to before they have finished puberty!

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            I humbly disagree. What that means is they are showing talent at the moment and their parents are more impressed with cementing an offer than thinking what is best for their children. How many schools are actually doing this?

Pretty strong feelings about this. Read the article which gave a pretty convincing argument why people think it is OK to prostitute these kids out at such young age but really wish the coaches had more ethics. No kid should be deciding what school they are going to before they have finished puberty!
                            Les, there's a wide gulf between the Jeff Jackson piece and what we are doing

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              This is something I think most people agree with and can get behind. They need to set a firm age that a kid can commit, probably after his sophomore or junior year of high school. Either that or schools must honor the comittment when the kid makes it. No more of this recruiting a kid at 13 or 14 and then dropping him last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                                This is something I think most people agree with and can get behind. They need to set a firm age that a kid can commit, probably after his sophomore or junior year of high school. Either that or schools must honor the comittment when the kid makes it. No more of this recruiting a kid at 13 or 14 and then dropping him last minute.
                                They will never do it. They've lost their honor system and no one will trust each other. (Which obviously they shouldn't)

Comment

Working...
                                X