Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    Yes, it's an issue, but given this coaching staff's track record since they took over, I'm not going to start acting like the sky is falling just yet.
    Well, you're no fun. We are supposed to know we suck, we always suck, we always will suck and by the way- the sky is falling. Must take an inordinate amount of energy to follow a team/set of coaches when you know with a surety they will never amount to anything. I do admire the tenacity it takes to stick to an opinion, no matter what. Personally I don't have the energy to maintain that type of cynicism consistently.

Comment

Recruit news.
      Guillaume Leclerc had a goal on 8 shots and Ryan Lohin had an assist on 4 shots as Madison defeated Chicago 3-0 in pre-season action tonight. Tyler Sifferlen did not play for Chicago.

http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.co...gameid=2482469

Comment

Recruit Tyler Sifferlen scored two 3rd period goals, including the game winner, as Chicago defeated Bloomington 4-3 this morning.
        http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.co...gameid=2482472

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
          Recruit Tyler Sifferlen scored two 3rd period goals, including the game winner, as Chicago defeated Bloomington 4-3 this morning.
          http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.co...gameid=2482472
          This made me laugh. This kid is obviously going to be good ... two goals in less than a second! Think they might want to fix their stats.

Chicago - Tyler Sifferlen (Brendon Kearney, Zach Osburn) 8:06
          Chicago - Tyler Sifferlen (power play) (Brendon Kearney, Ryan Blankemeier) 8:06
          @ChicagoSteel ยท 44m
          Steel defeat the Bloomington Thunder 4-3 at the USHL Fall Classic East! Tyler Sifferlen with both the game-tying and game-winning goals!
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            This made me laugh. This kid is obviously going to be good ... two goals in less than a second! Think they might want to fix their stats.

@ChicagoSteel ยท 44m
            Steel defeat the Bloomington Thunder 4-3 at the USHL Fall Classic East! Tyler Sifferlen with both the game-tying and game-winning goals!
            Lowell getting lucky with recruiting kids again. Patronick is going to be upset.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post

@ChicagoSteel ยท 44m
              Groundhog day? keeps reliving the goal?

Comment

Originally posted by fr0zn-4 View Post
                Lowell getting lucky with recruiting kids again. Patronick is going to be upset.
                I think you're misunderstanding his frustration. Not speaking for him, but I'll try and show my side of this. The lifeblood of any college program is recruiting. I think everyone knows that of the 14 freshmen this year, not all will be here as seniors. And we were finally away from those heavy classes anyway. We currently have 3 seniors this year, and 7 juniors. I think it's safe to say that we will lose 3/4 of this current crop of freshmen as well (I'm pretty sure a few are walk-ons). Currently Lowell has 7 recruits committed for next year or the following. So there's still some work to do.

The new trend (like it or not) has been to get commitments earlier and earlier unfortunately. Most of those kids actually do stick our their commitments, but obviously some won't. Regardless, you look at the recruiting sites and see where future recruiting stands for Hockey East (or any) programs. I would have liked to see recruiting pick up with how the last three years have been. No team in HE has less future commits than Lowell. There's been something like over 50 commitments to HE programs (for '15 and beyond) since Lowell got their last one.

I've never said they don't have a plan ... I'd just like to see more of the high-end talent (not BC/BU level obviously) wind up here. You see schools like Merrimack and UConn recruiting against BC. I just want to hear of anything at this point!
                Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  @ChicagoSteel ยท 44m
                  http://www.chicagosteelhockeyteam.co...eback-victory/

Comment

Originally posted by fr0zn-4 View Post
                    I like how because the team has had success over the past 3 years that people now take it for granted and think the team is going to be great year in and year out now. If people can't see that Lowell is trailing all of the other schools in recruiting, or at least that is what is seems like because you don't hear anything coming out of the athletic office. It's like trying to get injury information out of the Patriots, then I don't know what to tell you. Lowell has top notch facilities (with a dedicated practice rink in the future), 2 Hockey East tournament championships, 1 Hockey East regular season title, 3 straight tournament appearances, a Frozen Four appearance, all athletic teams are in Division 1, new academic buildings are popping up all over the place, etc. There's a lot the coaches can sell potential recruits on, but the fact that you don't hear anything is a bit worrisome.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                      I like how because the team has had success over the past 3 years that people now take it for granted and think the team is going to be great year in and year out now. If people can't see that Lowell is trailing all of the other schools in recruiting, or at least that is what is seems like because you don't hear anything coming out of the athletic office. It's like trying to get injury information out of the Patriots, then I don't know what to tell you. Lowell has top notch facilities (with a dedicated practice rink in the future), 2 Hockey East tournament championships, 1 Hockey East regular season title, 3 straight tournament appearances, a Frozen Four appearance, all athletic teams are in Division 1, new academic buildings are popping up all over the place, etc. There's a lot the coaches can sell potential recruits on, but the fact that you don't hear anything is a bit worrisome.
                      Not every coach likes to toot his own horn. Why obsess about things that may or may not happen in the future? Look at the ice and see how it all works out. That is what the end point is.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        Not every coach likes to toot his own horn. Why obsess about things that may or may not happen in the future? Look at the ice and see how it all works out. That is what the end point is.
                        Recruiting info doesn't just come from college coaches. You have the recruits, their families, their coaches, etc who are quick to talk about who's been showing interest. So this doesn't have anything to do with tooting any horns.

Obviously how the team does is how you gauge a recruiting class, but you can't fault people who are really intrigued by the recruiting process for the team they root for show show frustration when programs that aren't anywhere near as good as Lowell getting commits.

Comment

Not every coach likes to toot his own horn..
                          Bottomdweller has a point. Actually a coach can't even talk about a player till he's signed his NLI, so one has nothing to do with the other.
                          Monty

Comment

You are right, he probably does have a point. I guess I am too lazy to do all the speculating, watching, etc. Until they get on the ice and build the chemistry of the team- meh. We have had some amazing players in the past who were selfish and not that exciting except on paper. Others who were horrible on paper but the life of the team. I like the coaches, I think they have the right idea for the program and they are pretty tight lipped. The yr I was preg with Lil we were supposed to suck donkey boyparts. (the quote at the time was a bit more colorful) and they were amazing. I have long ago given up speculation. Too much angst for nothing.

Comment

... we were supposed to suck donkey boyparts
                              LOL... don't here that phrase much anymore. Blast from the past.
                              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Defenseman Niklas Folin (Omaha USHL) commits to UML.
                                @niklasfolin
                                Excited to announce my commitment to UMass-Lowell! Big thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way. #Riverhawks
                                http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.co...seasonid=12983

Christian Folin @ChristianFolin ยท 21h
                                Congrats to my brother @niklasfolin on committing to UMass-Lowell and @RiverHawkNation

Comment

Working...
                                X