PDA

View Full Version : UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Patronick
10-17-2014, 11:32 PM
some serious concerns on the talent level this year. Hopefully norm leaves so we can meet recruiting best practices of northeastern or unh and meet your needs, because overall, you clearly know everything about junior hockey and getting "premiere" talent in the door. Still waiting for your recruiting silver bullet... So please, enlighten us all on your plan to land "high caliber 18 y/O talent" in a timetable that fits the "need". Like most complainers, hipsters and the like, complaints run the table... Solutions remain to be seen.

That sound was my argument going right over your head.

What Monty and I have been saying is there is a real concern regarding the lack of recruits for 2015 and beyond. Lowell is behind every other HE team in this respect. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. What would "meet my needs" is hearing some kids are committing for the next couple of seasons. Let me know how that's unreasonable, and stop being thick.

hawkeytown
10-17-2014, 11:48 PM
That sound was my argument going right over your head.

What Monty and I have been saying is there is a real concern regarding the lack of recruits for 2015 and beyond. Lowell is behind every other HE team in this respect. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. What would "meet my needs" is hearing some kids are committing for the next couple of seasons. Let me know how that's unreasonable, and stop being thick.

Well, you made a comment to a previous post I made a week or so ago about me not questions norm, or his recruiting process. talk about not understanding.

So, regarding commitments and their timing, how much of it is hidden vs. known? And if we get good talent later in the process, does it matter?

Patronick
10-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Well, you made a comment to a previous post I made a week or so ago about me not questions norm, or his recruiting process. talk about not understanding.

So, regarding commitments and their timing, how much of it is hidden vs. known? And if we get good talent later in the process, does it matter?

Sure the results are what matter most, but there's something to be said for an aggressive strategy. I don't expect Lowell to scoop up 16 year olds, but teams are getting to kids earlier and earlier - even if they don't step foot on campus until they're 19. Totally valid point re: hidden vs. known. I think, personally, a lot of that stems from the prior coaching staff and their recruiting process being more public compared to the Bazin Wall. At least it appeared that way to way.

No one on the planet can argue against Bazin's success. Talk about futile. But it doesn't mean we as fans of the team can't kick around ideas, offer opinions and, yes, question moves by the coach/team/university in the spirit of lively debate. My frustration lies in some Lowell fans who suddenly think doing so is some kind of cardinal sin.

leswp1
10-18-2014, 06:59 AM
some serious concerns on the talent level this year. Hopefully norm leaves so we can meet recruiting best practices of northeastern or unh and meet your needs, because overall, you clearly know everything about junior hockey and getting "premiere" talent in the door. Still waiting for your recruiting silver bullet... So please, enlighten us all on your plan to land "high caliber 18 y/O talent" in a timetable that fits the "need". Like most complainers, hipsters and the like, complaints run the table... Solutions remain to be seen.
The glass is half empty. Don't ruin the fun with logic. I do applaud the consistancy. I could never maintain the level of negativity required to be that cynical . I just give up and watch what is on the ice (which look pretty good so far :confused: )

hawkeytown
10-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Sure the results are what matter most, but there's something to be said for an aggressive strategy. I don't expect Lowell to scoop up 16 year olds, but teams are getting to kids earlier and earlier - even if they don't step foot on campus until they're 19. Totally valid point re: hidden vs. known. I think, personally, a lot of that stems from the prior coaching staff and their recruiting process being more public compared to the Bazin Wall. At least it appeared that way to way.

No one on the planet can argue against Bazin's success. Talk about futile. But it doesn't mean we as fans of the team can't kick around ideas, offer opinions and, yes, question moves by the coach/team/university in the spirit of lively debate. My frustration lies in some Lowell fans who suddenly think doing so is some kind of cardinal sin.

Ok fair point, and of course you can express your opinion and frustrations. Afterall, I am a fan of this team too, and we have been through rough patches previous to Bazin. I get it.

I also get your point on the frustrations of aggressive recruiting. I mean, my previous thoughts and expectations was to get as many good players in and commited. However, when Norm said three years ago that he will not go after young talent, it got me thinking why. Basically, I think his strategy is let me go after the late, late bloomers so the pool of competing schools is less because of most of their recruiting at that point is fairly non-existent. Let me sell the system, coaching and school and do all that is possible to get them here. I think another strategy that hrs overlooked is the amount of transfers norm brings in. To me, while a fraction, part of the overall strategy.

Bottom line, somehow, someway he brings in talent that meets my expectation on the ice. And whether they come today or the day before the season starts is ok by this fan.

Edit: I think we both agree too that there is some silence of current recruits. I like your practice -" Bazin wall". Well played

UMLFan
10-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Patronick's done a pretty good job of commenting on our side of the argument. But I want to add a couple of things.

First of all, I've never said we need to go and bring in the 17/18 year old freshmen. I'd love to see it, but I know it's not realistic for a school at our level. I just don't want a ton of 21 year old freshmen. That's been my side of things. I also notice that Merrimack has 4 commitments for 2016. UMass has 5 for 2016 and later. We have one. I'll admit that surprises me, since I would think that a team that's been in 3 straight NCAA Tournaments would capitalize on that more.

And in regards to the late commitments, yes, of course those will exist. But let's not go overboard on the argument either. Two of the 2015 recruits committed 3 years prior to stepping on the Lowell campus. So it's not like it doesn't happen.

There is on-ice happiness, but that doesn't preclude that Lowell hockey isn't just a one-year at a time view. At least not for me.

Patman
10-18-2014, 09:57 AM
I think in the end we're just looking for progression and knowing we're progressing.

UMLFan
10-18-2014, 09:35 PM
USHL stuff from tonight. Nick Master had a goal for Tri-City in a 4-3 shootout loss.

Ryan Dmowski had an assist for Des Moines in a 5-3 win.

Chicago's Tyler Sifferlen had no points, and now has gone 6 straight games without a point, after a goal in his first game. Chicago lost 4-3.

Omaha's Nick Folin had a power play goal in a 4-3 loss.

Ryan Lohin had an assist, Guillaume LeClerc was held without a point in Madison's loss.

In the NAHL, Colin O'Neill had no points in Aberdeen's loss.

bottomdweller
10-19-2014, 03:44 AM
According to the line charts posted last night for the BU/U18 game, there are two players on the U18 who haven't committed yet. Auston Matthews (11, 4-12-16). He's a 97 birthdate playing center and then there's Caleb Jones (11, 0-5-5). He's a 6 foot defenseman, also a '97. One can hope.

And I think the argument that Lowell should be in the running for these players is legit because UCONN, Western Michigan, and Harvard (3 players) have all received commitments from the U18 team.

boblav1
10-19-2014, 10:57 AM
According to the line charts posted last night for the BU/U18 game, there are two players on the U18 who haven't committed yet. Auston Matthews (11, 4-12-16). He's a 97 birthdate playing center and then there's Caleb Jones (11, 0-5-5). He's a 6 foot defenseman, also a '97. One can hope.

And I think the argument that Lowell should be in the running for these players is legit because UCONN, Western Michigan, and Harvard (3 players) have all received commitments from the U18 team.
From twitter regarding Matthews.

Mark Divver‏@MarkDivver
'97 C Auston Matthews of NTDP tells me he's 50/50 on college vs. WHL. Says he's talking to BC, BU, Denver, Michigan.

boblav1
10-20-2014, 06:35 PM
It looks like Vermont is becoming a home for former BU recruits. Alexx and Jarrid Privitera are currently playing for the Catamounts. According to the UVM thread former PC & BU recruit Ori Abramson will join the team for the second semester and USHR is reporting Liam Coughlin, ex-UMass & BU recruit, has committed to UVM for the fall '15.

leswp1
10-21-2014, 07:27 AM
It looks like Vermont is becoming a home for former BU recruits. Alexx and Jarrid Privitera are currently playing for the Catamounts. According to the UVM thread former PC & BU recruit Ori Abramson will join the team for the second semester and USHR is reporting Liam Coughlin, ex-UMass & BU recruit, has committed to UVM for the fall '15.I guess that means UVM is high on the ethics scale and following the gentleman's agreement :p

UMLFan
10-21-2014, 07:39 AM
It looks like Vermont is becoming a home for former BU recruits. Alexx and Jarrid Privitera are currently playing for the Catamounts. According to the UVM thread former PC & BU recruit Ori Abramson will join the team for the second semester and USHR is reporting Liam Coughlin, ex-UMass & BU recruit, has committed to UVM for the fall '15.
They also picked up a 2017 recruit this weekend.

boblav1
10-21-2014, 07:51 AM
They also picked up a 2017 recruit this weekend.
A lot of activity lately for several HE teams.

http://overtheboards.net/hockey-east-recruiting-unh-adds-two-key-forwards-pc-lands-jacob-bryson-vermont-adds-liam-coughlin-maine-northeastern-add-prospects/

boblav1
10-21-2014, 08:24 AM
I guess that means UVM is high on the ethics scale and following the gentleman's agreement :p
In fairness to UVM I believe all these player's either left the BU program or decommitted. Wow this is the third commitment for Abramson and Coughlin.:eek:

bottomdweller
10-21-2014, 09:29 AM
In fairness to UVM I believe all these player's either left the BU program or decommitted. Wow this is the third commitment for Abramson and Coughlin.:eek:

May not be fair, but makes one question their character. I can see decommitting from one school, but 2?

Kdaddy1968
10-21-2014, 09:52 AM
May not be fair, but makes one question their character. I can see decommitting from one school, but 2?

Or one might question the programs they left as was stated earlier. You never know what they expected vs what the reality was. The number of people backing out from BU says more about BU than the players. At the end of the day this is a business disguised as academics. That said if they get thrown out of school or suspended later on you would be right about their character.

viewfrom123.com
10-21-2014, 08:13 PM
UMass Lowell 2014-15 Recruit Update: October 21 (http://mcsne.ws/8y)

UMLFan
10-22-2014, 07:34 AM
For those that don't pay attention to future recruiting, feel free to ignore.

Those that do ... this week, PC, UVM, Maine, UNH, NU (http://overtheboards.net/hockey-east-recruiting-unh-adds-two-key-forwards-pc-lands-jacob-bryson-vermont-adds-liam-coughlin-maine-northeastern-add-prospects/) all picked up commits this week.

bottomdweller
10-22-2014, 11:54 AM
For those that don't pay attention to future recruiting, feel free to ignore.

Those that do ... this week, PC, UVM, Maine, UNH, NU (http://overtheboards.net/hockey-east-recruiting-unh-adds-two-key-forwards-pc-lands-jacob-bryson-vermont-adds-liam-coughlin-maine-northeastern-add-prospects/) all picked up commits this week.

So what you're saying is that it's like boxing, and all these other schools are tiring themselves out early and Lowell will fly in at the end and land that knockout punch, right?