PDA

View Full Version : UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

leswp1
09-16-2014, 03:44 PM
This made me laugh. This kid is obviously going to be good ... two goals in less than a second! Think they might want to fix their stats. ;)

@ChicagoSteel 44m
Steel defeat the Bloomington Thunder 4-3 at the USHL Fall Classic East! Tyler Sifferlen with both the game-tying and game-winning goals!Groundhog day? keeps reliving the goal?

UMLFan
09-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Lowell getting lucky with recruiting kids again. Patronick is going to be upset.
I think you're misunderstanding his frustration. Not speaking for him, but I'll try and show my side of this. The lifeblood of any college program is recruiting. I think everyone knows that of the 14 freshmen this year, not all will be here as seniors. And we were finally away from those heavy classes anyway. We currently have 3 seniors this year, and 7 juniors. I think it's safe to say that we will lose 3/4 of this current crop of freshmen as well (I'm pretty sure a few are walk-ons). Currently Lowell has 7 recruits committed for next year or the following. So there's still some work to do.

The new trend (like it or not) has been to get commitments earlier and earlier unfortunately. Most of those kids actually do stick our their commitments, but obviously some won't. Regardless, you look at the recruiting sites and see where future recruiting stands for Hockey East (or any) programs. I would have liked to see recruiting pick up with how the last three years have been. No team in HE has less future commits than Lowell. There's been something like over 50 commitments to HE programs (for '15 and beyond) since Lowell got their last one.

I've never said they don't have a plan ... I'd just like to see more of the high-end talent (not BC/BU level obviously) wind up here. You see schools like Merrimack and UConn recruiting against BC. I just want to hear of anything at this point! :)

boblav1
09-16-2014, 04:16 PM
@ChicagoSteel 44m
Steel defeat the Bloomington Thunder 4-3 at the USHL Fall Classic East! Tyler Sifferlen with both the game-tying and game-winning goals!

http://www.chicagosteelhockeyteam.com/sifferlen-kearney-lead-steel-comeback-victory/

bottomdweller
09-17-2014, 11:04 PM
Lowell getting lucky with recruiting kids again. Patronick is going to be upset.

I like how because the team has had success over the past 3 years that people now take it for granted and think the team is going to be great year in and year out now. If people can't see that Lowell is trailing all of the other schools in recruiting, or at least that is what is seems like because you don't hear anything coming out of the athletic office. It's like trying to get injury information out of the Patriots, then I don't know what to tell you. Lowell has top notch facilities (with a dedicated practice rink in the future), 2 Hockey East tournament championships, 1 Hockey East regular season title, 3 straight tournament appearances, a Frozen Four appearance, all athletic teams are in Division 1, new academic buildings are popping up all over the place, etc. There's a lot the coaches can sell potential recruits on, but the fact that you don't hear anything is a bit worrisome.

leswp1
09-17-2014, 11:14 PM
I like how because the team has had success over the past 3 years that people now take it for granted and think the team is going to be great year in and year out now. If people can't see that Lowell is trailing all of the other schools in recruiting, or at least that is what is seems like because you don't hear anything coming out of the athletic office. It's like trying to get injury information out of the Patriots, then I don't know what to tell you. Lowell has top notch facilities (with a dedicated practice rink in the future), 2 Hockey East tournament championships, 1 Hockey East regular season title, 3 straight tournament appearances, a Frozen Four appearance, all athletic teams are in Division 1, new academic buildings are popping up all over the place, etc. There's a lot the coaches can sell potential recruits on, but the fact that you don't hear anything is a bit worrisome.
Not every coach likes to toot his own horn. Why obsess about things that may or may not happen in the future? Look at the ice and see how it all works out. That is what the end point is.

bottomdweller
09-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Not every coach likes to toot his own horn. Why obsess about things that may or may not happen in the future? Look at the ice and see how it all works out. That is what the end point is.

Recruiting info doesn't just come from college coaches. You have the recruits, their families, their coaches, etc who are quick to talk about who's been showing interest. So this doesn't have anything to do with tooting any horns.

Obviously how the team does is how you gauge a recruiting class, but you can't fault people who are really intrigued by the recruiting process for the team they root for show show frustration when programs that aren't anywhere near as good as Lowell getting commits.

UMLFan
09-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Not every coach likes to toot his own horn..
Bottomdweller has a point. Actually a coach can't even talk about a player till he's signed his NLI, so one has nothing to do with the other.

leswp1
09-18-2014, 07:53 PM
You are right, he probably does have a point. I guess I am too lazy to do all the speculating, watching, etc. Until they get on the ice and build the chemistry of the team- meh. We have had some amazing players in the past who were selfish and not that exciting except on paper. Others who were horrible on paper but the life of the team. I like the coaches, I think they have the right idea for the program and they are pretty tight lipped. The yr I was preg with Lil we were supposed to suck donkey boyparts. (the quote at the time was a bit more colorful) and they were amazing. I have long ago given up speculation. Too much angst for nothing.

FiveHole12
09-19-2014, 06:13 AM
... we were supposed to suck donkey boyparts
LOL... don't here that phrase much anymore. Blast from the past. :D

boblav1
09-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Defenseman Niklas Folin (Omaha USHL) commits to UML.

@niklasfolin
Excited to announce my commitment to UMass-Lowell! Big thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way. #Riverhawks

http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=6392502&seasonid=12983

Christian Folin @ChristianFolin 21h
Congrats to my brother @niklasfolin on committing to UMass-Lowell and @RiverHawkNation

UMLFan
09-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Defenseman Niklas Folin (Omaha USHL) commits to UML.

http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=6392502&seasonid=12983
I think we had been speculating about this for a while, way back when. Welcome to Lowell, Niklas!

leswp1
09-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Great stuff!!

UMLFan
09-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Just realized he will be 22 before he finishes his freshman year. Yikes.

Patronick
09-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Just realized he will be 22 before he finishes his freshman year. Yikes.

So was his brother.

UMLFan
09-23-2014, 09:56 AM
So was his brother.
Good point.

bottomdweller
09-23-2014, 12:24 PM
So was his brother.

It's not fair, but let's see if the younger Folin can shoot pucks through nets. For us fans, it should be all about sibling rivalry.

Homer: Hey! Apu just called. This Friday, Lisa's team is playing Bart's team. You're in direct competition. And don't go easy on each other just because you're brother and sister. I want to see you both fighting for your parents' love! (Flicks light on and off.) Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

ScottK
09-23-2014, 02:05 PM
It's not fair, but let's see if the younger Folin can shoot pucks through nets. For us fans, it should be all about sibling rivalry.

As long as he shoots the puck on net, I think most of us will be happy.

UMLFan
09-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Final rosters for the USHL are in: Tyler Sifferlen made Chicago's final roster, Guilleaume LeClerc and Ryan Lohin make the Madison Capitals, Nick Master made Tri-City, and of course Folin is on Omaha's roster.

Des Moines hasn't updated their page, but I'm assuming Ryan Dmowski will make their roster. That would leave 6 UML recruits in the USHL this season.

Patman
09-23-2014, 04:17 PM
As long as he shoots the puck on net, I think most of us will be happy.

I won't be satisfied unless the net splits the puck! :mad: :p :)

boblav1
09-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Final rosters for the USHL are in: Tyler Sifferlen made Chicago's final roster, Guilleaume LeClerc and Ryan Lohin make the Madison Capitals, Nick Master made Tri-City, and of course Folin is on Omaha's roster.

Des Moines hasn't updated their page, but I'm assuming Ryan Dmowski will make their roster. That would leave 6 UML recruits in the USHL this season.
Ryan Dmowski made the Des Moines 23-Player roster.

http://www.bucshockey.com/news_article/show/422675?referrer_id=602058