PDA

View Full Version : UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

UMLFan
06-05-2014, 11:05 AM
No he was for '14 and the new staff didn't want him.
Ah thanks. I was thinking he was for next year. Apparently he hadn't signed a NLI then.

Not sure the space we have, but I'd love to have him come to Lowell and do as well as Derek Arnold did. :D

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
06-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Ah thanks. I was thinking he was for next year. Apparently he hadn't signed a NLI then.

Not sure the space we have, but I'd love to have him come to Lowell and do as well as Derek Arnold did. :D

He's a bull that is strong and scores a lot of his goals in dirty area. He fights in corners, but I believe (can't speak for them) that Maine staff had serious questions re: his ability to translate that to next level and his speed.

boblav1
06-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Not sure what choice he will make now...

Jeff Cox ‏@JeffCoxSBNation
Chicago Steel take UMass Lowell commit and Malden Catholic alum Tyler Sifferlen in 7th rd of #USHLDraft. Committed to playing in BCHL.

Scott Herbst ‏@herbst20
Sounds like former Cedar Rapids draft pick Tyler Sifferlen has made the 30 man roster for the Chicago Steel. UMass-Lowell commit.

boblav1
07-03-2014, 11:51 AM
According to ESPN-Boston recruit Tyler Sifferlen will play next season for the Chicago Steel of the USHL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post/_/id/33159/malden-catholic-pair-headed-to-ushl

UMLFan
07-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Lowell and UMass have the fewest commitments for 2015 and beyond, at 7 each. No Hockey East school has fewer 2016 (and beyond) commitments than Lowell. MC has 5 for 2016.

I really had hoped to see recruiting pick up after three straight NCAA appearances.

Patman
07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Lowell and UMass have the fewest commitments for 2015 and beyond, at 7 each. No Hockey East school has fewer 2016 (and beyond) commitments than Lowell. MC has 5 for 2016.

I really had hoped to see recruiting pick up after three straight NCAA appearances.

This is bothering me. You'd think the quality would go up. I mean, do we have to win a national title to go up a notch, I don't remember Dick Umile winning one.

UMLFan
07-10-2014, 07:11 PM
5 of the 7 2015 (or 2016) UML commits have been listed on USHL team's protected rosters (http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/assets/4739056/ushlprotectedjuly14.pdf). The only two not included are Evan Anderson (BCHL) and Colin O'Neill (NAHL).

Hokydad
07-10-2014, 08:14 PM
5 of the 7 2015 (or 2016) UML commits have been listed on USHL team's protected rosters (http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/assets/4739056/ushlprotectedjuly14.pdf). The only two not included are Evan Anderson (BCHL) and Colin O'Neill (NAHL).

nice of them to trim the roster down to 43

hockeynut92
07-13-2014, 06:25 PM
The chances of the fourth straight NCAA appearance are very slim with the players lost.

riverchief1
07-13-2014, 08:20 PM
The chances of the fourth straight NCAA appearance are very slim with the players lost.

Probably but you can always be optimistic given after the 5 win season, who would've thought they would've done what they did the next season. Only time will tell but I'm prepared for pretty much .500 this year. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

Patman
07-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Probably but you can always be optimistic given after the 5 win season, who would've thought they would've done what they did the next season. Only time will tell but I'm prepared for pretty much .500 this year. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

Seriously, all I want from this year is solid play and team growth.

Funny how one quickly sees a non-NCAA year as a throw away year, but that being said, very few aren't expecting a worse season.

As long as the team plays smart I'll accept just about anything.

boblav1
07-15-2014, 01:25 PM
USA Hockey Select 16 Festival Player Rankings by Jeff Cox. I wonder if there are any future River Hawks on the list?

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2014/7/15/5896219/usa-hockey-select-16-festival-player-rankings-top-98s

UMLFan
07-22-2014, 11:26 AM
While Lowell recruiting continues to do ... nothing...

Over The Boards ‏@OTBPuckWatch 1m
99 F Riley Prattson (Springfield Cathedral) commits to Providence. Skilled, sharp fwd. Very effective up front in NY. Nice look by Friars.

boblav1
07-23-2014, 01:37 PM

99 F Riley Prattson (Springfield Cathedral) commits to Providence. Skilled, sharp fwd. Very effective up front in NY. Nice look by Friars.

BC too.....

Over The Boards ‏@OTBPuckWatch
98 F Zach Walker (Thunderbirds/to @USANTDP) commits to BC. 6'1 forward, high-end speed, great tools. Our #7 remaining uncommitted prospect.

Patronick
08-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Who makes a move first? Lowell or The Revs?

UMLHockey224
08-03-2014, 10:30 PM
we still need a DMan is that correct?

BostonSoccerDad
08-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Been thinking about the degrees of "success" for UML's recruiting and trying to understand why an athlete would choose one school (or other option) over another. I have come up with at least 12 criteria that an athlete probably considers when making a decision. Depending on the individual, each item would have a different weight.

Some of the criteria listed below are in UML's control (such as recent success of the program) and others are not (Beanpot School). For now I made the assumption that the individual is comparing D1 schools from top conferences such as Hockey East, WCHA, etc - so did not include this in the criteria. Here is the list.

1. Coach
2. Program's hockey style/system
3. Current depth at desired position
4. Recent success of program (last 3 years)
5. Overall success of program (all time)
6. Future projected success of program (next 4 years)
7. NHL stepping stone / NHL connections
8. Quality of Education / Educational Fit
9. Practice Facilities/Game Rink
10. Beanpot School
11. Campus
12. Fan Support

So, what's the point of the list? I am trying to look at things from a school's perspective and identify what may be important to a potential recruit. Then, see if there are areas that can be improved upon to increase the chances of landing a recruit. Of course this is all hypothetical and just a conversation starter, but that's what we do on this Board.

What items above do think are important or really not relevant? Anything obvious that I may have missed?

UMLFan
08-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Been thinking about the degrees of "success" for UML's recruiting and trying to understand why an athlete would choose one school (or other option) over another. I have come up with at least 12 criteria that an athlete probably considers when making a decision. Depending on the individual, each item would have a different weight.

Some of the criteria listed below are in UML's control (such as recent success of the program) and others are not (Beanpot School). For now I made the assumption that the individual is comparing D1 schools from top conferences such as Hockey East, WCHA, etc - so did not include this in the criteria. Here is the list.

1. Coach
2. Program's hockey style/system
3. Current depth at desired position
4. Recent success of program (last 3 years)
5. Overall success of program (all time)
6. Future projected success of program (next 4 years)
7. NHL stepping stone / NHL connections
8. Quality of Education / Educational Fit
9. Practice Facilities/Game Rink
10. Beanpot School
11. Campus
12. Fan Support

So, what's the point of the list? I am trying to look at things from a school's perspective and identify what may be important to a potential recruit. Then, see if there are areas that can be improved upon to increase the chances of landing a recruit. Of course this is all hypothetical and just a conversation starter, but that's what we do on this Board.

What items above do think are important or really not relevant? Anything obvious that I may have missed?
That's actually a pretty **** good list I think. The order obviously, as you said, changes depending on the player. Don't think there's anything you missed.

Patman
08-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Does coed quality fall under campus?

ScottK
08-04-2014, 11:38 AM
That's actually a pretty **** good list I think. The order obviously, as you said, changes depending on the player. Don't think there's anything you missed.

I would think that players currently on the team or committed would be a factor. If a potential recruit knows some of the guys already there, or knows some that are committed, and thus would have the chance to play with them, then that would be a factor as well. How many Sioux Falls guys did we have on the team in 2013? I can think of at least 4 (Ruhwedel, Furlong, Kamrass, Holmstrom).