PDA

View Full Version : UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

C-H-C
05-02-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm not usually the type to feel bad for anyone. I usually feel that everyone (businesses, ppl, schools, etc) should do whatever is in best interest. But in college hockey the big schools might end up killing off small schools namely WCHA teams. It would be extremely bad for sport.

With any luck, this will backfire on the not-so-gentlemanly few who want to overturn the time-honored tradition of verbal commitments. The NCAA may be forced to formalize the terms of "verbal commitments" and require all programs to abide by them.

Patman
05-02-2014, 10:14 PM
With any luck, this will backfire on the not-so-gentlemanly few who want to overturn the time-honored tradition of verbal commitments. The NCAA may be forced to formalize the terms of "verbal commitments" and require all programs to abide by them.

I would assume unless spoken otherwise the agreement amongst HEA coaches remain in place.

If I'm Lowell I play the "no backsies" and let the recruit know that backing out means the end of recruitment.

UMLDOUG
05-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Why is all the coaches crying about this verbal agreement? Bunch of cry babies if you ask me.

Patman
05-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Why is all the coaches crying about this verbal agreement? Bunch of cry babies if you ask me.

Utility theory alone says you don't want to spend resources trying to keep your recruits in the nest. It also allow for more harmonious behavior amongst the coaching fraternity... Keeps other stuff out of the meetings.

---

Has WEEI directed their fans here?

leswp1
05-03-2014, 06:52 AM
I think they agreed to let it go because they haven't been abiding by it anyway. [cynical thoughts].

When I first started watching college hockey no one would ever think to decommit. They also wouldn't commit at ridiculously young ages either.

The general population's culture has changed and so has hockey's. The concept of commitment is not what it used to be. No one (players or teams) committed when a player was young because A) it wasn't done because B) it took away your options (both sides) because C)committed meant committed, NO OUT, you were stuck with it so make the right choice once. Now kids/teams commit and feel no moral obligation to keep their word~ it is really pointless, they commit unless something better comes along. Until there is a consequence for breaking your word the current trend won't change.

UMLFan
05-03-2014, 09:13 AM
I think they agreed to let it go because they haven't been abiding by it anyway. [cynical thoughts].
I think you're right, sadly.

I spoke with Mike McMahon on Twitter last night about this. He thinks that it could actually help. He mentioned that Lowell can now go after one of the 30 (or whatever) recruits UNH has, and say ... "Look, we can make you a focal point at Lowell." He does believe there are some programs that are "hoarding" recruits. Not sure why he mentioned UNH. ;) Who really does have a full roster of future commits already.

I suppose there's that side of that.

boblav1
05-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Recruit Dylan Hollman scored a goal today as Spruce Grove (AJHL) defeated Coquitlam (BCHL) 5-3. He also had the game winner (SHG) in Thursday's win.

Spruce Grove plays again tomorrow and can earn a RBC Cup berth with a win.

boblav1
05-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Spruce Grove plays again tomorrow and can earn a RBC Cup berth with a win.

Spruce Grove's season ended today as they lost to Dauphin (MJHL) 4-3. Dauphin rallied with three third period goals for the win. Recruit Dylan Hollman had an assist in the loss and finshed with 4 points (2-2-4) in 6 Western Canada Cup games.

Austin defeated Topeka in OT to advance to Robertson Cup Finals. Jake Kamrass had two assists in the loss and finished the playoffs with 12 points (4-8-12) in 10 games played. Guillaume Leclerc did not play for Austin.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=11575

UMLFan
05-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Not sure what choice he will make now...

Jeff Cox ‏@JeffCoxSBNation 48m
Chicago Steel take UMass Lowell commit and Malden Catholic alum Tyler Sifferlen in 7th rd of #USHLDraft. Committed to playing in BCHL.

boblav1
05-08-2014, 06:42 PM
I can't help but think this will hurt programs like Lowell. Kids like Lohin or Dmowski that Lowell found early, now the "big programs" can go after them. Who cares about the small college hockey programs after all?

UW men's hockey coach Mike Eaves taking new approach to recruiting. (http://host.madison.com/sports/college/hockey/andy-baggot-uw-men-s-hockey-coach-mike-eaves-taking/article_d5c235b4-1d50-5b3c-8232-b2f47eff79d3.html#ixzz31AZWgAm9)

Eaves said he and his staff will keep a list of certain recruits they coveted, but lost. The coaches will place a call to those players once a year until a National Letter of Intent is signed to see if there is any wavering.

boblav1
05-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Recruits Guillaume Leclerc (1st team) and Mike Louria (2nd team) were named to the All-NAHL Rookie Team.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=11583

Austin and Fairbanks will play for the NAHL championship (Robertson Cup) this weekend. Leclerc will not play due to a family emergency. Some nice comments about Guillaume from one of his teammates.

Fellow Bruins rookie Brian Bachnak, who has stepped up in Leclerc’s absence, speaks to Leclerc on a daily basis and said the team has rallied around winning the Cup for Leclerc.

“[Losing Leclerc] took a lot of life out of us, but we said family first and we’re going to keep playing,” Bachnak said. “Not only is [Leclerc] one of the top scorers on the team, but in the locker room and off the ice he brings so much energy. He’s always happy and he’s always having fun. He goes out to practice about thirty minutes early every day working hard and he makes you want to work harder and play harder.”

http://www.austindailyherald.com/2014/05/bachnak-has-stepped-up-for-bruins-as-they-prepare-for-robertson-cup-finals/

herbst20
05-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Nick Master tweeted he was healthy for the first time in 3 months. Ready to get back at it. Good news for CR.

boblav1
05-11-2014, 08:10 PM
According to the tweet below defensemen Adam Plant and Brandon Fortunato are no longer heading to Harvard.

Both are on the small side.
Adam Plant (http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/rosters_profile.cfm?clientID=1413&leagueID=2393&teamID=378207&playerID=834928) ('95) - West Kelowna (BCHL)

Brandon Fortunato (http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=6379521&seasonid=11221) ('96) - USNDPT - U18

Plant is heading to Denver.

Over The Boards@OTBPuckWatch
95 D Adam Plant (West Kelowna) commits to Denver. 5'9 D had decommitted from Harvard, netted 34 pts in 54 @BCHLLive games in 13-14.

Patronick
05-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Right now I'm really digging this "carry six defensemen into the season" strategy.

UMLHockey224
05-12-2014, 07:53 PM
As I was talking to monty about earler.... the riverhawks really need fortunato and its weird that im not hearing anything from it.... also I have no idea why they are not looking at macleod, who is from dracut, but is committed to BU

C-H-C
05-12-2014, 09:34 PM
... also I have no idea why they are not looking at macleod, who is from dracut, but is committed to BU

You really think Bazin wants to get into a recruit raiding war with Quinn and O'Connell? Be careful what you wish for. Someone might think Tyler Sifferlin would look awfully good in a Terriers' uniform.

UMLHockey224
05-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Im just saying, with the stigma that has recently surrounded BU, the loss of parker, and the suspensions and allegations, your telling me that there havent been ppl talking to macleod or eichel (debatable if he even steps on the ice) to pry them away from bu.

boblav1
05-12-2014, 11:00 PM
You really think Bazin wants to get into a recruit raiding war with Quinn and O'Connell? Be careful what you wish for.
Agree, I hope Lowell doesn't start going after committed players. It's interesting to see several programs come out and say they will continue to honor verbal commitments even though some of the bigger programs (Minnesota, BC, Wisconsin) will no longer. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Ty Eigner@TyEigner · May 9
@collegehockey @chnews @USCHO Bowling Green will also continue to honor Gentlemen's Agreement.

Notre Dame Hockey@NDHockey · May 9
Agree with @CoachBlasi @ndhockey will also continue to honor verbal commitments #honoringyourwordmatters

Bill Riga@BillRiga · May 9 Quinnipiac will continue to honor verbal commitments as well.

Rico Blasi@CoachBlasi · May 9
A lot of talk about @collegehockey recruiting right now. @MiamiOH_Hockey will continue to honor verbal commitments

Greg Carvel@SkatingSaints · May 9
@chnews We all talk about the importance of character and integrity in our programs @SkatingSaints will continue to honor verbal commitments

boblav1
05-13-2014, 12:01 AM
As I was talking to monty about earler.... the riverhawks really need fortunato and its weird that im not hearing anything from it.... also I have no idea why they are not looking at macleod, who is from dracut, but is committed to BU

MacLeod has signed a NLI with BU.
http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/050114aaa.html

Patman
05-13-2014, 03:12 AM
Agree, I hope Lowell doesn't start going after committed players. It's interesting to see several programs come out and say they will continue to honor verbal commitments even though some of the bigger programs (Minnesota, BC, Wisconsin) will no longer. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Kinda like the geneva conventions, we'll go along so long as you do.