X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NESCAC '13-'14 season

The '13-'14 schedule is out:
    http://nescac.com/sports/wice/2013-14/schedule
    A quick look seems to show the biggest change to be no Sunday action next season. I will miss the 3 game weekends!
    The NESCAC standings could be in for some shuffling next season. Bowdoin has graduated much of the core that brought the program back to its former glories. Middlebury looks to be in the hunt for another title. Rumor has impressive recruits arriving in Williamstown and New London. Trinity is still in search of a coach. I know the Cup playoffs are still in progress, but any "hot beach blanket" league news???

Re: NESCAC '13-'14 season

Here is my guesstimate of recruiting class strength based on the D3 commitments list on here and web info on players. Bottom 3 still below the others based primarily on only having a couple of players for each school (quantity issue, not quality of the players listed who are all good). Have to say that I think that the Colby recruiting class is pretty strong this year, but not a lot of depth amongst the girls that are already there so may not make much of an impact. Williams is starting from a stronger nucleus, except that losing Weinstein was a big deal.

1. Conn College
    2. Middlebury
    3. Colby
    4. Williams
    5. Bowdoin
    6. Amherst
    7. Trinity
    8. Hamilton
    9. Wesleyan

As always, interested in other folks insights/opinions.

Comment

Agree on recruit ranking. Amherst and Colby have a few others not yet mentioned, as does Conn Coll [S. Izzi, a forward from Kent School is not on the list, but is a very good player].

Comment

Updated the list in the D3 Commitments thread. Based on that, a few changes in my recruiting strength guesstimate. Conn College a stronger 1. Williams added a recruit and that makes their listed group a little deeper than Colby, but they are pretty close. Be very interested who the other Amherst and Colby recruits are - Canadiens? Amherst could easily move above Bowdoin if the missing kids are strong. I'm actually thinking after the re-review that the Middlebury rank could be lower (don't think a couple of the kids were as big a factor on their teams as I originally thought) - maybe below Colby and Williams. Wesleyan stronger now. Have to believe that Hamilton has more kids that are missing even with the late start due to the coaching change - McNamara worked hard this season on recruiting.

1. Conn College
        2. Middlebury
        3. Williams
        4. Colby
        5. Bowdoin
        6. Amherst
        7. Wesleyan
        8. Trinity
        9. Hamilton

As always, continue to be interested in other folks insights/opinions.
        Last edited by HockeyEast33; 06-19-2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Congratulations Coach Potter!!! Welcome to the NESCAC! The Bantams have made a great contribution with this appointment and it can only mean more visibility and better competitive balance for the NESCAC.

Comment

Noticed Rachel Kennedy was not in the lineup for Saturday's field hockey tilt at Amherst. Does anyone know why she was unavailable? Polar Bear hockey team will be in big trouble without her scoring!

Comment

Phew! Reassuring to see Rachel Kennedy was back in turf action with 2 goals in a 4-2 win over Midd at Ryan Field earlier today!!!
              GO U BEARS!!!!
              There must be some hockey news out there, eh???

Comment

Obviously not spending enough time trolling the NESCAC athletic websites, so I missed this news flash from the end of August:
                http://www.middlebury.edu/athletics/...ws/node/459565
                Congratulations Coach Greer!

Comment

Tryouts start Friday...

Comment

Originally posted by prepdad View Post
                    Tryouts start Friday...
                    GO U BEARS!!!

The Polar Bears graduated both goalies and a ton of scoring. I think Middlebury is odds on to lead the NESCAC this season. Their sophomores led the team in scoring last season and they return a proven presence in net (although they graduated good D). Trinity's goaltending can take them a long way, they need to find a sniper. Conn College is in the same situation with a stoner in net and need for more offense. Amherst has lost a lot on the blueline. Is Williams ready to move back into the mix?
                    The NESCAC regular season is a grind and so many of the series are of the 'blood feud' variety that it becomes the most intense and unpredictable conference year in year out. 11/15 cannot arrive too soon!

Comment

Lest we forget...the NESCAC thread.
                      I sincerely believe it is a wide open contest for 2nd through 9th, and as my record clearly shows, predicting anything NESCAC is generally beyond my powers.
                      The Polar Bears will be inexperienced in net and lost significant scoring punch to graduation. Amherst has to show it has attracted players of a quality to take them back to the halcyon days. Williams ditto (will their net play be sufficient?). People have pointed to Colby as bringing in a quality recruiting class. Trinity and Conn College have legit stoners in net, but neither has had much scoring to go with that. Hamilton? Wesleyan? By the end of February it will all sort out (but it is never a bad idea to have decided where to stay in Middlebury 3/8).
                      Last edited by obserbear; 11-05-2013, 05:45 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                        Lest we forget...the NESCAC thread.
                        I sincerely believe it is a wide open contest for 2nd through 9th, and as my record clearly shows, predicting anything NESCAC is generally beyond my powers.
                        The Polar Bears will be inexperienced in net and lost significant scoring punch to graduation. Amherst has to show it has attracted players of a quality to take them back to the halcyon days. Williams ditto (will their net play be sufficient?). People have pointed to Colby as bringing in a quality recruiting class. Trinity and Conn College have legit stoners in net, but neither has had much scoring to go with that. Hamilton? Wesleyan? By the end of February it will all sort out (but it is never a bad idea to decided where to stay in Middlebury 3/8).
                        Thanks Bear for bringing this thread forward. I agree, that beyond Middlebury, which by the way I understand has brought in one of the stronger groups in the last few years, and will be the cream of the crop, the rest of the field is wide open. I think Trinity will be reinvigorated with Jenny Potter behind the bench and strong goaltending. I believe Conn College and Amherst will be the next 2 strong contenders, followed by Colby, Bowdoin and Williams. After that the Hamilton and Wesleyan will be fighting for the final playoff spot. Can't wait for the season to start!!

Comment

Middlebury is clearly the cream as usual. If Obserbear is down on Bowdoin, there HAS to be something to it! Trinity has the defensive talent and a new coach, but I'm not convinced yet - it sounds like there are missing recruits on the commitments page, so that could affect the result a lot, I'll given them teh benefit of missing info. Hamilton and Wesleyan continue to show little (if any) momentum - I hear that the Hamilton team is having trouble keeping all the existing players playing let alone bringing in new ones - not sure what the issue is there... Wesleyan graduated Ashley Corvi and that is a HUGE blow to a team that already struggles - hard to replace a goalie that regularly stops 50 shots a game. Conn College is a team that could go places come NCAA time if the freshman contribute. Williams and Colby will require some significant input from freshman if they are going to improve - probably not a reasonable expectation as they adjust to the college game. Williams is also iffy in net. They are both probably a season out from moving up dramatically (assuming strong recruiting classes next year as well).

I really struggle with everyone rating Amherst so high. The days of national championships are gone by. They graduated their top two goal scorers (~50% of their goals from last year are gone) and lost arguably their best defenseman to UVM (thanks Coach Plumer ). Their recruiting class (assuming no one is missing on the commitments thread) is effectively all defenseman. While their defense may be solid, who is going to score for them?

I'm thinking something like the following - 4 tiers:

Tier 1 - Middlebury
                          Tier 2 - Conn College, Trinity, Bowdoin
                          Tier 3 - Williams, Colby, Amherst
                          Tier 4 - Hamilton, Wesleyan

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                            Middlebury is clearly the cream as usual. If Obserbear is down on Bowdoin, there HAS to be something to it! Trinity has the defensive talent and a new coach, but I'm not convinced yet - it sounds like there are missing recruits on the commitments page, so that could affect the result a lot, I'll given them teh benefit of missing info. Hamilton and Wesleyan continue to show little (if any) momentum - I hear that the Hamilton team is having trouble keeping all the existing players playing let alone bringing in new ones - not sure what the issue is there... Wesleyan graduated Ashley Corvi and that is a HUGE blow to a team that already struggles - hard to replace a goalie that regularly stops 50 shots a game. Conn College is a team that could go places come NCAA time if the freshman contribute. Williams and Colby will require some significant input from freshman if they are going to improve - probably not a reasonable expectation as they adjust to the college game. Williams is also iffy in net. They are both probably a season out from moving up dramatically (assuming strong recruiting classes next year as well).

I really struggle with everyone rating Amherst so high. The days of national championships are gone by. They graduated their top two goal scorers (~50% of their goals from last year are gone) and lost arguably their best defenseman to UVM (thanks Coach Plumer ). Their recruiting class (assuming no one is missing on the commitments thread) is effectively all defenseman. While their defense may be solid, who is going to score for them?

I'm thinking something like the following - 4 tiers:

Tier 1 - Middlebury
                            Tier 2 - Conn College, Trinity, Bowdoin
                            Tier 3 - Williams, Colby, Amherst
                            Tier 4 - Hamilton, Wesleyan
                            Very good review, and agree on almost all points.

I might put Williams ahead of Trinity...good coach, and solid recruits who should contribute from the start. Also will have full season of Levine who is back from injury. Would also add that Amherst goaltending should be ok [frosh is solid and will be the starter sooner than later] but agree they are not at the top these days. Wesly loses Corvi and also their best defenseman for season, so that could be trouble in Middletown. Conn frosh class should contribute from the start. Two very solid, big defenseman who can shoot, 2 strong goalies and a few forwards who can score [which has been an issue for them]. Colby is a wildcard...frosh class looks good, but new coach/system so lets see come Dec.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                              Very good review, and agree on almost all points.

I might put Williams ahead of Trinity...good coach, and solid recruits who should contribute from the start. Also will have full season of Levine who is back from injury. Would also add that Amherst goaltending should be ok [frosh is solid and will be the starter sooner than later] but agree they are not at the top these days. Wesly loses Corvi and also their best defenseman for season, so that could be trouble in Middletown. Conn frosh class should contribute from the start. Two very solid, big defenseman who can shoot, 2 strong goalies and a few forwards who can score [which has been an issue for them]. Colby is a wildcard...frosh class looks good, but new coach/system so lets see come Dec.
                              My only issue with Conn is that the defensemen (pretty much to a player, including the freshman) simply don't skate very well. Almost all of them can be turned and unless the forwards are doing a good job backchecking and in D zone coverage they are really vulnerable to odd man rushes and teams with fast/quick forwards that can exploit their skating issues. Be interesting to see how they play out this season.
                              Last edited by HockeyEast33; 11-01-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X