PDA

View Full Version : Boston College Eagles 2013-2014 season thread -Speed returns to The Heights

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

BCJacket5
11-21-2013, 04:47 PM
I have to agree with FiveHole when it comes to the refs. If a game even looks like it might be getting out of control, especially if the score isn't close, the refs need to call every little detail on both sides or it just escalates. Most people are too biased to realize that if there team is taking a lot of penalties, they probably deserve it. Instead, you start hearing the team (players or fans) yap that the refs are one sided. And all that does is drive you to throw more cheap shots in frustration. Especially if your team is losing. By tossing Arnold, you send a message to both sides to knock it off or you'll get tossed.

As for the goalie rotation, I still want to see more out of Billet. He's looked good the last few games, but look at this:

Harvard - 2.20 goals per game, 47th ranked offense, Billet allowed 1 goal
UMass - 1.96 goals per game, 53rd ranked offense, Billet allowed 1 goal and 2 goals
Army - 1.89 goals per game, 55th ranked offense, Billet allowed 0 goals in 41:33

He's not exactly going up against the best offenses in college hockey. In the rest of his starts....

Michigan - 2.75 goals per game, 33rd ranked, Billet allowed 3 goals
Wisconsin - 3.22 goals per game, 18th ranked, Billet allowed 2 goals in 50:55
Minnesota - 4.17 goals per game, 2nd ranked, Billet allowed 6 goals
Northeastern - 3.63 goals per game, 9th ranked, Billet allowed 3 goals

I just want to see more out of Billet before I'm ready to end the goalie rotation. I would hope Billet start against Maine (2.96 gpg, 25th ranked), Demko against Holy Cross (2.09 gpg, 51st ranked) to ease him back in, and they both get a start against UNH (3.29 gpg, 15th ranked). Should have a much better idea after that.

What I don't want to see is Billet play against Holy Cross as part of the renewed rotation. Another bad offense won't tell us anything.

claver2010
11-22-2013, 08:22 AM
I don't think anyone is ready to end the rotation, I think Billet has played well enough to keep the rotation going. But agreed, especially compare who Billet has played against to who Demko has.

all bear
11-22-2013, 10:24 AM
So we get the donut hole Saturday night? Hoooorah, bring your coffee. :)

J.D.
11-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Good analysis of the numbers, but have to go a bit deeper. I remember watching the highlights of the Michigan game. Couldn't blame Billett for any of those goals. BC played terribly defensively in the loss at Minnesota. Now, his numbers are rounding into shape, but it's more than that IMO. I don't know who saw the home game against UMass/who didn't, but regardless of who the opponent was...he was very, very good. I'd think this is exactly what we all want--two dependable goalies. Billett was really an unknown coming into this year, so his play has been very encouraging. This early in the season, just keep the rotation going and we'll see what happens down the road.

Finally, after all the donut hole references we've seen, I still don't understand it....

mwade
11-22-2013, 01:13 PM
I sat on the Harvard side. Refs were constantly yapping to Donato and the bench to tone it down. They sent #6 to the showers at the first possible moment they could. I thought they headed off a lot of potential crap. I didn't think the game was out of control, you did. That's OK. No one got hurt... that's a good thing.

Actually Everson got hurt (I didn't see the elbow by Brown though I do know it was in same shift as an uncalled bad check on him - not by 44).

BCeagle
11-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Good analysis of the numbers, but have to go a bit deeper. I remember watching the highlights of the Michigan game. Couldn't blame Billett for any of those goals. BC played terribly defensively in the loss at Minnesota. Now, his numbers are rounding into shape, but it's more than that IMO. I don't know who saw the home game against UMass/who didn't, but regardless of who the opponent was...he was very, very good. I'd think this is exactly what we all want--two dependable goalies. Billett was really an unknown coming into this year, so his play has been very encouraging. This early in the season, just keep the rotation going and we'll see what happens down the road.

Finally, after all the donut hole references we've seen, I still don't understand it....

I think York not committing to one goalie sends a message and gives each goalie incentive to play well. After last year when Milner was struggling, Billet had a chance to take the job but didn't play well enough in 4-5 games. It's early, but hopefully Billet can continue his good play and plus he is a junior now with more experience and maturity. In the long run, I think Demko can win it eventually but he's still only a freshman with great potential.

Hopefully, BC will get a tough road win in Orono. I am driving up tomorrow to see a game at the Alfond for my 1st time. I heard the crowd can get hostile to opposing fans. Maybe BC can take the crowd out early.

FiveHole12
11-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Actually Everson got hurt (I didn't see the elbow by Brown though I do know it was in same shift as an uncalled bad check on him - not by 44).
Yes, that's correct. First period... I remember the play, and the shot that Brown took down behind the goal line just before he took out Everson. Everson did not return to the game. It had slipped my mind in my previous post.

That was only Everson's 2nd game back this season, after sitting out all but 7 games last season and the first 7 this season (along with McNally).

carltonbarrett
11-22-2013, 08:36 PM
So who has taken over butcher duties for Maine this season with Diamond gone? First time in a while they haven't had a blatant cheap shot artist like Ryan or Liscak on the roster, at least not that I know of? Let's pray we don't suffer any season ending injuries up there, cuz God knows they obviously aren't going to try and skate with us, which leaves them only one other option....

sigx15
11-22-2013, 08:48 PM
So who has taken over butcher duties for Maine this season with Diamond gone? First time in a while they haven't had a blatant cheap shot artist like Ryan or Liscak on the roster, at least not that I know of? Let's pray we don't suffer any season ending injuries up there, cuz God knows they obviously aren't going to try and skate with us, which leaves them only one option.... Cornell was pretty brutal too when he played up there. Just a total goon

NCAAfan500
11-22-2013, 09:02 PM
So who has taken over butcher duties for Maine this season with Diamond gone? First time in a while they haven't had a blatant cheap shot artist like Ryan or Liscak on the roster, at least not that I know of? Let's pray we don't suffer any season ending injuries up there, cuz God knows they obviously aren't going to try and skate with us, which leaves them only one other option....Yeah they won't try to skate with a team they have won the season series from 2 of the past 3 seasons. LOL!!

carltonbarrett
11-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah, and the fact that they were down about 5 skaters during last years series had nothing at all do with BC losing... And even then Maine wasn't out skating them.

sterlippo1
11-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Yeah they won't try to skate with a team they have won the season series from 2 of the past 3 seasons. LOL!!

lol, yeah, Maine has BC's number I guess. congrats

Carmine Scarpaglia
11-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Yeah they won't try to skate with a team they have won the season series from 2 of the past 3 seasons. LOL!!

Did you guys raise a banner for that up in Orono? I guess BC really is that big of a deal huh?

carltonbarrett
11-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Tuch and Milano each with 2 goals tonight for team USA.

Boston22
11-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Tuch and Milano each with 2 goals tonight for team USA.

Yeah, I saw that. Did you notice Milano was a +3 and his teammate was a -5? I don't think I've ever seen that disparity before.

J.D.
11-22-2013, 11:50 PM

Just because a team takes a season series from another team doesn't automatically mean they did it by beating that team in a track meet.

blackbearsfan45
11-23-2013, 08:25 AM
ok, is the nit-picking overwith? good. who's coming up tonight?

sterlippo1
11-23-2013, 11:43 AM
i believe Cangelosi has only 14 SOG's all year but 6 goals, could that be right or did I miss something ?

J.D.
11-23-2013, 12:00 PM
expecting a tough game tonight, although i don't really know much about this maine team. since their opening series against st. lawrence, they've been in every game and are coming off their best game of the season. tough place to play obviously.

the kid says demko not ready to rejoin the rotation, billett goes again tonight.

sterlippo1
11-23-2013, 06:47 PM
did that just happen down in Maryland? nice job Randy