PDA

View Full Version : Boston College Eagles 2013-2014 season thread -Speed returns to The Heights

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Kenny
11-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Does anyone have any details on Jim Logue night at Conte? I heard it was 12/6, but need confirmation. I'd like to attend, he's been a staple of BC hockey, both in recent and not so recent history.

J.D.
11-19-2013, 01:33 PM
As far as kids decommiting, I'm not a huge fan of it. If there are some kind of mitigating circumstances like the coach leaving or something its one thing, but
situations like with Roy, Wade Murphy, and Milano are bad news for college hockey.

To clarify, I'm not a fan of it either...but what can you do? I checked the BC hockey blogger on Twitter and here is a tweet from Mike McMahon:

"Told that part of Milano’s decision to attend BC had to do with preferring their style of playing. Felt it "fit his offensive creativity."

Seems logical to me. Now, you might be saying well shouldn't he have known this at the time he chose ND? I would say yes. And that's why the "blame" in this case should fall on him.

Also, for the holier than thou trolls, another tweet from someone named Russ Bitely:

"Milano was decommiting from ND. BC was swift enough to beat Minny, BU, Mich, Miami to the punch. Christmas comes early in Boston."

So this wasn't a case of BC secretly trying to steal a kid from ND. Milano made the decision and opened up the recruiting process again.

Also, dont want to rain on the parade but there are big concerns about losing Milano to the OHL. Mike McMahon is already reporting its a big concern from BC sources. This obviously doesn't mean a thing right now but it wouldnt be the first time something like this happened with a BC commit.

Not that this means anything, but the "kid" says the staff doesn't have any concerns over this. I guess my question would be why change from ND to another school at this point in time if you were still seriously considering major junior? Hard to believe all those schools would be in on him if they had serious concerns.

mookie1995
11-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Well then OG, how many minutes were counted between the leaving nd folds and joining bc recruit list? Hmmmmmm?!?

J.D.
11-19-2013, 02:02 PM
i don't speak mookie, i speak english

Boston22
11-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Is Hanifin accelerating a year in school? Hadnt heard this yet, but that would be a very good sign towards him coming to BC.

I know this might seem weird, but is there any chance BC brings him in half way through next season? Colleges do this (Freddy Meyer at BU, Alex Beaudry at Providence, etc). This way, he is 18 (bascially) when he arrives, instead of 17 and 1/2. It doesn't force him to crame a years worth of school work into this summer, in order to graduate. Plus, I think he is more likely to come back the following season (for 2015-16). If he plays a full year next season, he may be more likely to bolt. NHL teams probably want to see more than 3 months of college action from him (January-March). It also means he is at BC for two postseasons, not just one. Just throwing it out there.

Drew S.
11-19-2013, 02:30 PM
I know this might seem weird, but is there any chance BC brings him in half way through next season? Colleges do this (Freddy Meyer at BU, Alex Beaudry at Providence, etc). This way, he is 18 (bascially) when he arrives, instead of 17 and 1/2. It doesn't force him to crame a years worth of school work into this summer, in order to graduate. Plus, I think he is more likely to come back the following season (for 2015-16). If he plays a full year next season, he may be more likely to bolt. NHL teams probably want to see more than 3 months of college action from him (January-March). It also means he is at BC for two postseasons, not just one. Just throwing it out there.

I might be wrong about this, but I believe kids who do this can't receive any scholarship money for that half year. He would basically be paying $30,000 to play 20 or so games. I think he could find better value elsewhere. It would be nice if more kids could do it. I could see it making sense in a lot of cases.

mookie1995
11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
i don't speak mookie, i speak english

How
Many
Minutes
Elapsed
Between
The
Time
He
Deco mittens
From
ND
And
Committed
To
BC
?

Agganis
11-19-2013, 02:36 PM
I might be wrong about this, but I believe kids who do this can't receive any scholarship money for that half year. He would basically be paying $30,000 to play 20 or so games. I think he could find better value elsewhere. It would be nice if more kids could do it. I could see it making sense in a lot of cases.

Assuming BC has already given out all 18 then yes, but they could have given out just 17.5 in the fall to save one for him. Maybe Sullivan was on a partial and York didn't give that money to someone already on the roster once he cut him?

TonyTheTiger20
11-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Freddy Meyer
Freddy Meyer is a hack.

mookie1995
11-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Freddy Meyer is a hack.

Did you even see Freddy play at bu?!?!? :D

all bear
11-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Is Jerry having trouble counting scholarships too? Must be his bad eye causing problems, no?

TonyTheTiger20
11-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Before today I didn't even know he *went* to BU but this forum has trained me to know that he was a hack, at least.

all bear
11-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Before today I didn't even know he *went* to BU but this forum has trained me to know that he was a hack, at least.
Didn't think you 'went" to BU but more like stumbled into the place :D

Cross Check
11-19-2013, 07:57 PM

I sure did. He WAS a hack. Prestin Ryan was even worse though.

sigx15
11-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Here's kind of a summary on recruiting for next year and a bit about the ntdp guys.

We have 4 forwards in all likelihood leaving after this year, Hayes, Arnold, Brown and Johnny G. We have 3 "definites" for next year in Milano, Tuch, and Sanford. Then Dudenk and Macmaster are either coming in 2014 or 2015. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a forward or two transfer out at the end of the year because of either being cut or lack of pt.

Now as far as threats from the CHL. McMahon reiterated today that the CHL will be coming hard at Milano, rights held by Plymouth, and Hanifin, rights held by Qubec Remparts. Hanifin will have a full court press put on him by Quebec because he looks to be the best talent to come out of New England in 10-15 years if not more, theres talks of him being a top 5 nhl draft pick. Then with Milano, Plymouth has been notorious for convincing big time NCAA recruits to come play there, see JT Miller(NoDak), Connor Carrick (mich), Ryan Hartman (Miami). Also don't be super enthused by him deciding to commit to another school so quick and this late in the process. See Michael Mccarron who last year decommitted from Michigan State then committed to Western Michigan then decided to play for London in the OHL after he was drafted in the 1st round by Montreal. Played 2 yrs of NTDP like Milano and his brother played college hockey for Cornell.

Also no one knows/ is saying when Milano came to his decision about decommitting from ND and then when he committed to BC. It was all reported in one fell swoop, just was put out there BC beat the other schools to the punch.

By the way cannot find any reports of Hanifin accelerating and I've looked pretty hard. Usually its fairly well known a player is accelerating to attend college a year early, but again you never know. I think Krieder accelerated a bit late to come in so it is possible.

mookie1995
11-19-2013, 09:43 PM
wasn't it hanafin at the draft last year with bobby orr? i seem to recall the commentators seeing him and letting everyone know that he could be the top pick when it's his turn, and one of the top picks if he was eligible for that draft then.

TonyTheTiger20
11-19-2013, 10:11 PM
wasn't it hanafin at the draft last year with bobby orr? i seem to recall the commentators seeing him and letting everyone know that he could be the top pick when it's his turn, and one of the top picks if he was eligible for that draft then.

I believe you are correct.

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
11-19-2013, 11:30 PM
It wasn't at the draft. It was at the Stanley Cup Finals. He was with Orr and McDavid.

claver2010
11-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Does anyone have any details on Jim Logue night at Conte? I heard it was 12/6, but need confirmation. I'd like to attend, he's been a staple of BC hockey, both in recent and not so recent history.

I hadn't even heard ther was a Logue night until this.

mookie1995
11-20-2013, 08:48 AM
It wasn't at the draft. It was at the Stanley Cup Finals. He was with Orr and McDavid.

Ah that's it
Thank you